PDA

View Full Version : [SARL] Is it worth it to try on a weekday?

Number1topgun
01-11-2016, 07:23 PM
As the title says, is it worth it to fish on a weekday? I know the best days to fish are obviously the three days after they stock but I was considering going on Wednesday because that's the only day this week I can go... I always enjoy going fishing even if I only catch a skunk but idk rather go to LNL if im not going to catch much... Just seeing what your guys opinions are. Thanks!

Marley
01-11-2016, 08:23 PM
For years my fishing day at SARL was Monday and I always caught fish, almost always limit style action. My thoughts are that the fish get so spooky over a weekend that they chain their jaws shut after Friday and Saturday and just won't bite until they get too hungry. That's Monday or Tuesday. If you are deciding between the two lakes, SARL is the hands-down winner. Fish are there, planted weekly in volume, and big ones are planted. I wouldn't hesitate fishing a Wednesday at all. Good luck!

Number1topgun
01-11-2016, 11:13 PM
For years my fishing day at SARL was Monday and I always caught fish, almost always limit style action. My thoughts are that the fish get so spooky over a weekend that they chain their jaws shut after Friday and Saturday and just won't bite until they get too hungry. That's Monday or Tuesday. If you are deciding between the two lakes, SARL is the hands-down winner. Fish are there, planted weekly in volume, and big ones are planted. I wouldn't hesitate fishing a Wednesday at all. Good luck!

Thanks for the information!

Nuoc Mam
01-12-2016, 07:09 AM
pay $$ to get skunk (SARL) or fish LNL free to get skunk. Your choice haha j/k

Can't really predict what the outcome will be. Of course after a stock, odds are probably better since they hold in an area for a while. But my bro has limit out before on Tuesday and yes even Wednesday. It is fishing so you'll never know. Just have to be patient and hopefully get bendo. Either place you fish, good luck to you.

Mr T-rex
01-12-2016, 05:13 PM
There is definitely fish in there but it will be a little tougher than a Friday or saturday!
I say give SARL a try and work for your fish meaning. try stuff out of the ordinary and one thing i recommend is to jig
I went sunday and caught my limit all on jigs, my bait rods did not get touched at all
good luck to you

Number1topgun
01-12-2016, 05:59 PM
There is definitely fish in there but it will be a little tougher than a Friday or saturday!
I say give SARL a try and work for your fish meaning. try stuff out of the ordinary and one thing i recommend is to jig
I went sunday and caught my limit all on jigs, my bait rods did not get touched at all
good luck to you

I was actually planning on jigging! I'm probably going to try Chris' pond and maybe if it's slow move to the big lake. Thanks everyone for the advice. Ill be trying my luck tomorrow.

Marley
01-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Best of luck. Post a report!

Number1topgun
01-13-2016, 04:45 PM
Well... I got skunked. Saw two fish today caught. One by a fisherman the other by a Osprey. The one the Osprey caught was bigger too. Oh well, still enjoyed a day out of the house. Probably going to LNL tomorrow.

Marley
01-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Well... I got skunked. Saw two fish today caught. One by a fisherman the other by a Osprey. The one the Osprey caught was bigger too. Oh well, still enjoyed a day out of the house. Probably going to LNL tomorrow.

Aw, man! Those ospreys are pretty good, love to watch them. Where did you fish? Bait? How was LNL?

CityAngler
01-16-2016, 04:00 PM
Yeah I don't know what's up with that lake man... I got skunked a couple week ago too. Supposedly they stock the heck out of it.

etucker1959
01-16-2016, 10:13 PM
Yeah I don't know what's up with that lake man... I got skunked a couple week ago too. Supposedly they stock the heck out of it.
One word Shad!!!!! They need to drain it to kill them.

Marley
01-17-2016, 09:43 AM
One word Shad!!!!! They need to drain it to kill them.

Maybe. Shad definitely add a dynamic to fishing there. Healthy lakes have a population of shad yet never get drained. Do you think maybe it's because SARL's bass and crappie populations aren't huge, why the shad overpopulate so quickly? Very few fish I catch there have shad in them and I always look to see. More often than not I find midges.

etucker1959
01-17-2016, 10:07 AM
Maybe. Shad definitely add a dynamic to fishing there. Healthy lakes have a population of shad yet never get drained. Do you think maybe it's because SARL's bass and crappie populations aren't huge, why the shad overpopulate so quickly? Very few fish I catch there have shad in them and I always look to see. More often than not I find midges.
It's not so much the trout are eating the Shad, but their distracting the trout. Here's what I mean, I've seen this happen 3 or 4 times so I'm sure I'm right. The lake get's drained and then is refilled and stocked. (last time this happened was 3 years ago) The next season when the trout are stocked they mostly swim near the bottom. (this is confirmed by my fish graph) Most people fish their baits on the bottom, so the trout see your baits and WHA LA you have good fishing!!!! Now the lake doesn't get drained for a few years and the Shad population builds up to a tremendous level. Now they stock the trout and they become fascinated by all the shad and are chasing them around every where. SARL is usually between 30-50 feet deep depending on where you are, the shad are at all depths but not usually on the bottom. Where is everyone's baits, on the bottom!!!!! The trout don't see your baits hence bad fishing. SARL knows this but has no control over the water. So it's not their fault the trout are hard to catch. Next time they drain the lake, hit that lake hard it will be fantastic fishing!!!!! They use to drain it all the time, so most people never figured out the shad dictate how well the lake will fish. I've been fishing that lake since they opened in the late 70's & 80's, so I've seen it all. lol

Marley
01-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Hanging out with their friends makes sense. One tactic that serves me well is watching for top water shad activity and dropping half a crawler in on them, especially effective when the activity is in tight on the shoreline ( think Santa Ana winds carving a drop off). Slow sinking the garden hackle from a boat is also a very productive standby when that bottom-hugging morsel is being guarded by shad. When that happens I like to use a small split shot and just enough air to let the wiggler sink out ever so slowly. When it reaches the bottom it fishes like a C-rigged worm until you reel it in and present it again.
Very intriguing theory.

Marley
01-17-2016, 04:12 PM
...I've been fishing that lake since they opened in the late 70's & 80's, so I've seen it all. lol

Yeah, me too. Remember Jim Wallace? Only man to ever tie the wrestling bear? Carried a boat motor under each arm? I wonder what ever happened to him.

Number1topgun
01-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Quick update: Im here again today. Started at the bubble hole and saw fish but none were interested in biting. The water coming in from the Santa Ana River is very muddy. I decided to try my luck at the boat docks around 8am and so far I caught one. He bit the mouse tail before I could even sit down. Hopefully the bite stays strong.

jhernandez25
01-19-2016, 09:14 AM
Quick update: Im here again today. Started at the bubble hole and saw fish but none were interested in biting. The water coming in from the Santa Ana River is very muddy. I decided to try my luck at the boat docks around 8am and so far I caught one. He bit the mouse tail before I could even sit down. Hopefully the bite stays strong.

Awesome keep it up and keep us posted am hopping to get out there on Friday but if not Saturday. TIGHT LINES

Marley
01-19-2016, 12:00 PM

One in the bag. Nice! They like that moving bait a lot of times especially when the water is cloudy. I would toss a hunk of mack in case Mr. Whiskers is on the chew. They plant them year-round there.

Sukaniggasdick
01-30-2016, 07:26 PM
Fished Santa Ana River lakes Yesterday at Chris' pond all day (6am-4) and got completely skunked. People around me were hooking up now and then but I didn't get ****. As I was leaving one of the staff asked how I did and I told him and he asked where did I fish and I said Chris' pond and told me that's why. Told me Chris' pond is the worst out of the 3 lakes. Might go again soon and when I do, Imma fish the main lake this time and hopefully get my 25$ worth.

sandtrout
01-31-2016, 10:21 AM
I haven't been to SARL in 5 or so years. Used to be the HOTSPOT especially for kids. Not to pretty but the catching was awesome. Then the last 4 times I went I got skunked. Tried spinners, spoons, plugs, plastics, baits and flies. NADA. Moved around every 20 minutes to different locations...NADA. The only positive thing was NO ONE ELSE was doing any better. I put a post about how lousy the fishing had gotten. They replied, "no guarantees - better luck next time." My reply: "Better luck getting my money next time". Haven't' been back since. But that was 5+ years ago. Hasn't changed much. Well, the price has gone up!

Mr T-rex
02-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Fished Santa Ana River lakes Yesterday at Chris' pond all day (6am-4) and got completely skunked. People around me were hooking up now and then but I didn't get ****. As I was leaving one of the staff asked how I did and I told him and he asked where did I fish and I said Chris' pond and told me that's why. Told me Chris' pond is the worst out of the 3 lakes. Might go again soon and when I do, Imma fish the main lake this time and hopefully get my 25$ worth.

That's part of fishing brother!
you learn as you go and you get determined on your next outing such as new spots, new lures, baits and etc..

Iv'e been there with my bait rod's out and 0 bites! i usually end up catching my fish on jigs so you have to work for them
Re cast every 15 minutes and don't be scared to jig

My method is 6am cast out (bait) 5 feet out and as the sun comes out cast a little further

Mr T-rex
02-02-2016, 05:15 PM
I haven't been to SARL in 5 or so years. Used to be the HOTSPOT especially for kids. Not to pretty but the catching was awesome. Then the last 4 times I went I got skunked. Tried spinners, spoons, plugs, plastics, baits and flies. NADA. Moved around every 20 minutes to different locations...NADA. The only positive thing was NO ONE ELSE was doing any better. I put a post about how lousy the fishing had gotten. They replied, "no guarantees - better luck next time." My reply: "Better luck getting my money next time". Haven't' been back since. But that was 5+ years ago. Hasn't changed much. Well, the price has gone up!

It's called fishing!
I have days where i smack them and catch my limit in 1 hour. I also have my 2 fish days along with big ol skunks

Don't you wish fishing was easier??