PDA

View Full Version : Did it again shaky day.

Durdy Daug
01-03-2016, 08:47 PM
Took yesterday's advise. And bought the annual pass today. Started off about 07:30, stepped into the water to unhitch the boat and the 5 month old red head fishing boots that I Bought at BPS, for $140, leaked,foot turned to ice. Hoping BPS honors their products! Started the day at the buey line, picked up 1 striper, there were 4 rental boats there till the ranger kicked us out. Trolled A rigs and the scronger for 3 hours, hooked up the boat to leave and some guys we were previously fishing with told us that the bite picked up, relaunched the boat, and returned to the spot picked up 3 more, broke the pin on my trolling motor prop again. It was a nice and fairly product productive day.

Well done for. A few days.

NFCD I
01-04-2016, 06:17 AM
Good to hear there is at least some action. As far as the pin breaking on your trolling motor, a quick fix on the water is to cut a large bait hook down to size and you're good to go.

JAG107
01-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Sucks about the wet foot man. At least you got some action! I've never had luck with those A-rigs (or U rigs, I have pulled those around for hours with nary a bite), I always fish the fluke by itself. Have you tried trolling with the main motor at your estimated 3.5mph? Those stripeys aren't slow, if they see something speeding around they will whack it if they want to. Try putting the bait in the water and see how it moves while at trolling speed. If it looks sexy, send 'er out! You wanna see that fork tail wagging.

Durdy Daug
01-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Cool beans... Went to BPS, THEY replaced the boots without problems. I ended up buying an ocean "U-rig", I had bought 1 from a guide last year but left it hoe, I trolled the "A - rig with no bites, tried different lengthy of leadcore from 100 - 300 feet. Was Tod today that 30 feet of line = 4 feet? Somehow I thought it would be a lot deeper! Just finished looking at the BPS catalog, ended up buying a "worm" growing kit as well as some European nightcrawlers, can't wait to see how that works out. Been sending $15 every couple of weeks at the bait store. I know that many think it's cheating if you don't use plastics, but in these cod months, the fish seem to prefer worms or China of sardines. I just like to get bit, and I really don't care too much on what. Have lots and lots of artificial, Grimm plastics to crank, jig,jerk, and swim baits, guess I need more practice on the others.
Question... I was looking at some underwater cameras, that show you what's going on below the surface, as I don't know how to read my fish finders I was wondering if this would be worth buying, they boast a 50 foot cable, but I have to wonder how you would position / navigate the thing? Any answers out there?

P.A.W.
01-05-2016, 06:51 AM
Daug, the camera sounds fun, but the actual field of vision is really tiny. Not near enough to be of use in finding a moving target like stripers. You need to get together with someone who has a good working knowledge of your particular Sonar setup. Once you get that down you'll be deadly. I heard leadcore is 5-6 feet per 10 yards, but that depends on boat speed and what lure you are dragging too. I agree that using some meat in the winter is no shame.

Durdy Daug
01-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the info, just got off the phone with one of the guys from the site who offered to assist me with the electronics! Also talked about fishing the river in the next few weeks! How awesome will that be! Today just got a whole lot brighter! I sure did miss fishing the ocean this year, the first year I did not go in the past 20 years, but on the bright side, this fresh water is getting to be just as fun, meeting all these great people, and getting to fish 6-8 Times a month rather than 6-8 Times a year... (only fished the tuna, July - September or October for the long range) the remainder of the year was just dreaming about and planning for the next summer. Kind of cool being to fish nearly every weekend. I am really hungry for knowledge, not as easy to come by as on the Ocean, learning from fellow passengers and the ever so knowledgeable deck hands!
Thanks again for the information.