PDA

View Full Version : Gonna try for some revenge!

Durdy Daug
12-31-2015, 06:09 PM
Well how many days in a row can I get skunked? Something is bound to change up - sometime! Could be tomorrow, but I will never know if I don't get my lazy ***** out there and try right? Well at least I hope not to need medical help! Kind of shook me up after I thought about how close I came yesterday! I guess that the fact that I can't swim didn't help my nerves out too much, but on the brighter side of things in water that cold it wouldn't have mattered much... less struggling with hypothermia I guess!
On a serious note - I really am grateful for the guys that came a runnin to save my crazy *****. The wife would be grateful as well, except I didn't tell her. That probably would have put an end to my fishing or my marriage of 26 years... sure would miss her!!!
Ps if you all ever do meet my wife, don't tell her about that last comment...
Like I said - SURE WOULD MISS HER.

karlow
12-31-2015, 08:18 PM
Hey it was not all that bad. I was there on Wed with Jim and Joe. We were on Jim's tune.
If you saw a tune it was us. It was cold as hell. we trolled all over the lake. We did not meter much.
Most of the fish were over 40ft deep. I tried to drop down that deep, but all I picked up was the bottom!
We did manage two strippers in the front. After a few more passes for nada we gave up on the troll and headed for the usual place.
Bait and wait. Yea, that worked. we ended up with about 15 stipers. The troll fish were the largest for the day at about 2.5lbs.
We were off the water about 3:30.

Durdy Daug
12-31-2015, 08:51 PM
Awesome, where did you pick up the strippers, and how? Sardines? I tried at the boey / spillway as well as the quarry, I am not sure how to troll, I do have a troll rod with leadcore and a white feather from BPS my boat will not go slower than 3.5 mph, too fast right? I bought 2 different sides drift anchors to slow the boat down, but have not really put any time into trying it. I also trolled with the trolling motor at just under 2 mph, again no success. Would be really grateful for advise / tips. The wife gets pissy when I come home skunked. I don't eat fish, but she does and cannot understand my passion for fishing. When I do bring fish home she is pleased and calls the family to partake. I've done ocean fishing for the past 20 years, and early got skunked, mostly mid to long range... 1 &1/2 days to 11 day trips. Decided that I didn't do well with the long drive and the temptation to drink, so I started fresh water fishing. Sunk about $40,000 into equipment so far. Custom rods, boat and all the cold weather clothes, not to mention the terminal tackle like the jigs and swim baits. I basically have a floating tackle shop, but lack the knowledge of how to use it. Totally different from tuna, Yellowstone, and Wahoo fishing. Considering selling my 15 custom rods and reels as I am beginning to consider the ocean fishing an old chapter of my life.
Would really appreciate any advise on how, where ,and what type of bait to use this time of year. Done lots of Texas rigged plastics in February March. Don't seem at all productive not so I've been staying away from the crank, jerk, and swim baits.
Thanks for the response. Fishing is now my only vise and passion.
Trying to be a sponge and soak up as much knowledge as I can.

catchingsomefish
12-31-2015, 10:03 PM
If you are really interested in learning how to troll for stripers, how to properly meter them on a graph, and some good sound strategies, you might consider hiring Bob, Trout Only guide service. I speak from personal experience, well worth the time and money.....Good Luck!.................Dave

flyhigh123
12-31-2015, 10:18 PM
If you are really interested in learning how to troll for stripers, how to properly meter them on a graph, and some good sound strategies, you might consider hiring Bob, Trout Only guide service. I speak from personal experience, well worth the time and money.....Good Luck!.................Dave

agreed.... the amount of money you will save in the long run is worth the trip. take TO out once and it will make your trips 10X better.

Stinkbait
12-31-2015, 10:54 PM
Awesome, where did you pick up the strippers, and how?

The bar and a 20 spot does the trick every time. :)
Keep at it, regardless of what you feel you are doing, you are learning more than you know. Winter fishing can be tough!

iPhish
01-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Hey it was not all that bad. I was there on Wed with Jim and Joe. We were on Jim's tune.
If you saw a tune it was us. It was cold as hell. we trolled all over the lake. We did not meter much.
Most of the fish were over 40ft deep. I tried to drop down that deep, but all I picked up was the bottom!
We did manage two strippers in the front. After a few more passes for nada we gave up on the troll and headed for the usual place.
Bait and wait. Yea, that worked. we ended up with about 15 stipers. The troll fish were the largest for the day at about 2.5lbs.

What places exactly were you bait and waiting at? Chovies or Dines?

MillsapBoyz
01-01-2016, 01:30 PM

Yeah Karlow how about sharing some tips. I am new to the Wood after 50+ years fishing the Sierra's. I was out there with my son Wed. in the Porta Bote, and all we managed was one bite. We fished the buoys, the quarry, and Miller Canyon. Any tips and hot spots would be greatly appreciated. We've been out 4 times now, and were skunked the last two. Still trying to figure this place out.