PDA

View Full Version : Had some luck the other day

CHUCKY
12-23-2015, 10:07 PM
Got one at the wood. Soaking some pb.i need some advice on what lb test and line everyone uses for stripers. If someone could help. Thanks.

catchingsomefish
12-23-2015, 10:28 PM
If I am bait fishing for stripers, I use 10-15# test, last time there, we were using small swimbaits, and I was using 10# test, my friend Bob uses much lighter line, but he enjoys playing with the dang things prior to landing them............Dave

twin22s
12-24-2015, 08:43 AM
I use 15# it still casts pretty good and you never know when you might hook into a double digit fish, no fun hooking a big fish and not being able to do anything about it.
If you are using smaller lures 10 or 12 is ok, I guess it depends on what you are throwing. that info would be helpful.

CHUCKY
12-24-2015, 08:57 AM
If I am bait fishing for stripers, I use 10-15# test, last time there, we were using small swimbaits, and I was using 10# test, my friend Bob uses much lighter line, but he enjoys playing with the dang things prior to landing them............Dave

thanks for the reply.im using 10lb test. I must be using the wrong type of line. im using izoroline is this good?

dpaulus9
12-24-2015, 10:09 AM
also try flourocarbon. line test i use is between 6-10 lbs. but its whatever you're confidence is.

Durdy Daug
12-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Agree with the others, I use 6 pound on my North fork spinning rod and both fly line a piece of sardine, at times I drop shot a night crawler on this rod, again 6 pound "Pline" I also this plastic "Texas urged worms" on a biatcaster rod, that one I fish 8 pound "Pline" if I am throwing a "crank bait, or a jig I use 10 pound "Pline" for the so spinning bait 12 pound, and finally when throwing the swim baits (deps 175) 20 pound. The (deps 250) 25 pound line. A lot of guys use braid line, but I only use "Pline" mono or flurocarbon line. I use braid in the ocean on all my larger reels, but for me on the smaller broadcaster reels I can pack on at least 100 yards of mono, and I do not have the fear of getting spooled on the lake, I can just chance the fish down. Unlike on the Ocean. If I understand your question... this is strictly for striped bass, large mouth bass, and the occasional catfish as they will all bite the worm and sardine. If your question is for trout, that is totally different - for trout it is 2 or at most 4 pound line and only on a small spinning reel.
Hope this is helpful. With fishing there are so very many variables, which makes it the most expensive sport out there!

CHUCKY
12-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Agree with the others, I use 6 pound on my North fork spinning rod and both fly line a piece of sardine, at times I drop shot a night crawler on this rod, again 6 pound "Pline" I also this plastic "Texas urged worms" on a biatcaster rod, that one I fish 8 pound "Pline" if I am throwing a "crank bait, or a jig I use 10 pound "Pline" for the so spinning bait 12 pound, and finally when throwing the swim baits (deps 175) 20 pound. The (deps 250) 25 pound line. A lot of guys use braid line, but I only use "Pline" mono or flurocarbon line. I use braid in the ocean on all my larger reels, but for me on the smaller broadcaster reels I can pack on at least 100 yards of mono, and I do not have the fear of getting spooled on the lake, I can just chance the fish down. Unlike on the Ocean. If I understand your question... this is strictly for striped bass, large mouth bass, and the occasional catfish as they will all bite the worm and sardine. If your question is for trout, that is totally different - for trout it is 2 or at most 4 pound line and only on a small spinning reel.
Hope this is helpful. With fishing there are so very many variables, which makes it the most expensive sport out there!. Yes thanks for your tips. I have a 2 pole stamp so usually I have one soaking and my other rod will be jigging or cranking.

Durdy Daug
12-25-2015, 09:29 PM
Do you fish from a boat or the shore?

CHUCKY
12-26-2015, 09:24 AM
I usually fish from shore but i have fished it in a boat before which is much better.

Durdy Daug
12-28-2015, 07:19 AM
I am planning on fishing the wood tomorrow or Wednesday possibly both. Wanna go?

CHUCKY
12-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Sorry man i cant. i have to work.