PDA

View Full Version : LA River

Albert B
12-20-2015, 05:45 PM
Hey guys today I fished the LA river a little below the 2 freeway. Caught 2 decent carp which is a pretty good day. I've probably fished there like 20 times and I usually catch at least one fish. I was using corn on a size 14 treble hook on a sliding sinker rig.

Weird face lol:

old pudd fisher
12-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the post very interesting, I liked it.

TUNAVIC
12-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Cool catch,he's a lot darker than many I've seen,you've a nice spot their.

Cya Tuna Vic

DarkShadow
12-21-2015, 02:27 PM
Here's a tip:

Don't use any weight. Carp are smarter than Chubs. I've felt them examine my bait before feeling the trebles and taking off.

Fly line your bait with a mosquito hook, and you should get better responses. The current doesn't run hard enough most of the time there to necessitate weights on your rig.

Albert B
12-21-2015, 02:46 PM
I was actually thinking about taking the weight off since I realized that I was getting the most bites closer to shore. In addition to that most of my bites came within 2 minutes of making the cast, sometimes on the drop, so I guess holding the bottom isn't a big deal. The only reason I was using weight was because where I fish there is a decent current. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try weightless next time.

DarkShadow
12-21-2015, 03:42 PM
I was actually thinking about taking the weight off since I realized that I was getting the most bites closer to shore. In addition to that most of my bites came within 2 minutes of making the cast, sometimes on the drop, so I guess holding the bottom isn't a big deal. The only reason I was using weight was because where I fish there is a decent current. Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try weightless next time.

Also, come prepared with different types of baits. Considering their intelligence, carp will begin to key in on popular baits that get thrown in their face and will begin to refuse them.

I saw an increase in hook up once I started researching European dough baits, and stopped using the typical tortillas squares or corn.

There were mornings that I saw myself using my food processor to make dough baits. For some strange reason, these carp are attracted to sugar, so we would use dough, secret ingredients, then top it off with some liquid strawberry smell that used to bring those guys up from the deep.

Also, I wouldn't be using anything more than 6# test there, perhaps even lower. These guys are so line shy, it makes you wonder why they live in environments like the LA River since they behave like uncatchable Permit.

Albert B
12-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Yeah I think I might order/make some boilies. I'm also going to switch to a six pound flourocarbon leader instead of my usual 8lb mono. What stretch of the river do you fish?

ScottyP
12-21-2015, 04:24 PM
Nice golden bass! Thanks for posting an LA River report. Light line, small or no weights the key to carp as others have said.

DockRat
12-22-2015, 10:48 AM
Good job, nice Carp. You can even go 4 lb leader.
Chumming helps too with corn, oh wait, that's illegal.
I did not just type that did I ?

Albert B
12-22-2015, 12:49 PM
Chumming is illegal? People throw all kinds of...stuff in there (trash, bodies, tires, bikes, ect.) but I can't throw some corn or bread in? Classic CA DFG/ legislature lol

DarkShadow
12-22-2015, 03:00 PM
What stretch of the river do you fish?

Frogtown.... 8-)

old pudd fisher
12-22-2015, 05:24 PM
Chumming is illegal? People throw all kinds of...stuff in there (trash, bodies, tires, bikes, ect.) but I can't throw some corn or bread in? Classic CA DFG/ legislature lol That is classic funny Albert. :LOL:

Albert B
12-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Darkshadow do you fly fish or bait fish? Thanks pudd fisher

DarkShadow
12-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Darkshadow do you fly fish or bait fish?

I enjoy...skinny-skiing...going to bullfights on acid.

I do bait fish, but I mostly fly fish now.

BALLERONBUDGET
12-22-2015, 09:09 PM
is river fishing open all year?? or they gonna get pissy and prude..i know I saw signs for kayaking only during summer months memorial to labor day wknd....wonder if this applies to fishing aswell? I do see the maintenance guys drive the trucks thru the bike paths every so often.. atleast river cleaned up a lot .. not the place u wanted to be in 80s/90s frogtown to Atwater /toonerville...... google up and ull see wat I mean..

Albert B
12-22-2015, 09:17 PM
The sign says its open from memorial day to labor day but I don't think anyone cares.

BALLERONBUDGET
12-22-2015, 10:04 PM
exactly!! I still always watch my back in that neighborhood... on or the river.. whether it been the locals or homeless guys in the islands... etc... dnt leave anything plain site in ur car etc.. even the skinny streets when u exit the fwy to find ur parking spots Im not big fan of.. ; regardless great catch !

Albert B
12-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Yeah its kinda sketchy but I see alot of hipsters biking/walking the river.

carpanglerdude
12-24-2015, 08:16 AM
Try a hair rig. Nice catch!

Albert B
12-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Try a hair rig. Nice catch!
I was thinking about that what hook type should I use and how long should my leader be?

carpanglerdude
12-25-2015, 09:38 AM
I was thinking about that what hook type should I use and how long should my leader be?

I used a 12-14" leader. Hooks 8-10 I think, it's been a while.

This is a solid set of directions: http://www.carpkrazy.com/carp-rigs.html

Albert B
12-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks I'll give it a try. Also what baits would you suggest other than corn or bread?

fishmounter
12-25-2015, 11:56 AM
Albert B - Use this hook. Circle hooks are great because you do not need to set the hook. When you get a bite, just start reeling the fish in. They seldom swallow the hook, and they hook themselves as they swim away, and almost always in the corner of their mouths. This is the only bait hook that I use now.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/Circlehooks_zps713b9369.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/fishmounter/media/Circlehooks_zps713b9369.jpg.html)

Albert B
12-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Albert B - Use this hook. Circle hooks are great because you do not need to set the hook. When you get a bite, just start reeling the fish in. They seldom swallow the hook, and they hook themselves as they swim away, and almost always in the corner of their mouths. This is the only bait hook that I use now.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m121/fishmounter/Circlehooks_zps713b9369.jpg (http://s103.photobucket.com/user/fishmounter/media/Circlehooks_zps713b9369.jpg.html)

Thanks I'll order some. Also do you guys think I should use weight when fishing the hair rig?

Jig-Guy
12-28-2015, 12:39 AM
Thanks for report! Interesting read since I grew up 1 block from the LA River between Randolph Av railroad bridge & Gage Av in Bell. They never put in the concrete until after I was grown & gone. Don't remember any fish in the river then.

Anyway thanks for the report and I am glad you got bit.

Scottiem1
01-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Well played, they're a very underrated sportfish. Key to catching them is accurate ground bait - creamed corn + breadcrumbs, mixed with water until you can throw it in a ball, but will break up when it hits the water. Have a google at waggler floats - great in stillwater. In terms of flavours try savoury in winter, sweet in summer. Curry powder is an idea in the colder months

RocFish
11-26-2017, 08:14 AM
use sliding sinker above a #2 hook with fresh flour tortilla....use polarized shades...