PDA

View Full Version : SARL Sunday, 12/13: Hacklemaster At Play

Marley
12-13-2015, 08:46 PM
It was good to get out today. Plan was to get up at oh-dark-thirty and wait in line, be first on Marley's Secret Spot, but Saturday night's trip to take Mom and Pop to watch Christmas lights kept us out really late. They will both turn 80 on their next birthdays and they don't get out very much so spending an evening out with them was very much worth the late Sunday morning reveille.
Didn't get to the lake until almost 9:00 and was pleasantly surprised to find absolutely no one on (or near, for that matter) Marley's Secret Spot 1.1. That down-canyon morning breeze was going pretty good making anchoring a bit frustrating but I ultimately tamed the aluminum beast and settled in with my two favorite baits waiting to be dined upon. Half a nightcrawler, pinched in half, blown up, all sauced up with Pro-Cure garlic oil and rigged Carolina style went out to one side, the designer, blown mealworm went out on the other. Same rigging, though the 'crawler sports a size 10 Owner Mosquito hook, while the mealworm wears a sexy size 14.
It was game on almost instantly as first the 'crawler goes off, then the mealworm eight or ten minutes minutes later. The quickly rebaited 'crawler is nailed only three minutes after setting down the rod and I suddenly have three thick-bodied Mt. Lassen rainbows in the basket. Less than 20 minutes into the morning and I'm well on the way to a limit and either buying a second pass or going home.
But things change quickly, as we all know. Three of my best buddies showed up in their float tubes (well, they thought they were my buddies today), I guess figuring if they couldn't find their own bite they would just nose in on mine. On most days this makes little difference and all of us share the fish but today, it flipped the switch. I would be over an hour and a half before my next bite.
Bites were tricky to see today, just a goofy little breeze kicking around all day, so when the fish hit I didn't see it until it had taken the bait way outside the boat. I set the hook into something heavy with big, heavy headshakes but an odd bulldoggish pull. It realized it was hooked and jumped out of the water and straight at the boat. It was a big bass of seven, maybe eight pounds and it wanted nothing to do with me. I gained back most of the line and as I worked it to the net, it came unbuttoned. No pigtail, it just came off.
Took thirty more minutes to catch another trout, and the limit came at about 1:00. Off the water by 1:30 with fresh trout for dinner.
My limit of five saw four caught on the inflated half 'crawler and one on the inflated meal worm. Weights were from about a pound up to about 2 1/2 pounds. Nothing huge, but they were colorful, full-finned and pink-meated beauties. Thanks to the good folks at SARL for never disappointing.
It was good to get out today!

jhernandez25
12-14-2015, 07:53 AM
It was good to get out today. Plan was to get up at oh-dark-thirty and wait in line, be first on Marley's Secret Spot, but Saturday night's trip to take Mom and Pop to watch Christmas lights kept us out really late. They will both turn 80 on their next birthdays and they don't get out very much so spending an evening out with them was very much worth the late Sunday morning reveille.
Didn't get to the lake until almost 9:00 and was pleasantly surprised to find absolutely no one on (or near, for that matter) Marley's Secret Spot 1.1. That down-canyon morning breeze was going pretty good making anchoring a bit frustrating but I ultimately tamed the aluminum beast and settled in with my two favorite baits waiting to be dined upon. Half a nightcrawler, pinched in half, blown up, all sauced up with Pro-Cure garlic oil and rigged Carolina style went out to one side, the designer, blown mealworm went out on the other. Same rigging, though the 'crawler sports a size 10 Owner Mosquito hook, while the mealworm wears a sexy size 14.
It was game on almost instantly as first the 'crawler goes off, then the mealworm eight or ten minutes minutes later. The quickly rebaited 'crawler is nailed only three minutes after setting down the rod and I suddenly have three thick-bodied Mt. Lassen rainbows on the basket. Less than 20 minutes into the morning and I'm well on the way to a limit and either buying a second pass or going home.
But things change quickly, as we all know. Three of my best buddies showed up in their float tubes (well, they thought they were my buddies today), I guess figuring if they couldn't find their own bite they would just nose in on mine. On most days this makes little difference and all of us share the fish but today, it flipped the switch. I would be over an hour and a half before my next bite.
Bites were tricky to see today, just a goofy little breeze kicking around all day, so when the fish hit I didn't see it until it had taken the bait way outside the boat. I set the hook into something heavy with big, heavy headshakes but an odd bulldoggish pull. It realized it was hooked and jumped out of the water and straight at the boat. It was a big bass of seven, maybe eight pounds and it wanted nothing to do with me. I gained back most of the line and as I worked it to the net, it came unbuttoned. No pigtail, it just came off.
Took thirty more minutes to catch another trout, and the limit same at about 1:00. Off the water by 1:30 with fresh trout for dinner.
My limit of five saw four caught on the inflated half 'crawler and one on the inflated meal worm. Weights were from about a pound up to about 2 1/2 pounds. Nothing huge, but they were colorful, full-finned and pink-meated beauties. Thanks to the good folks at SARL for never disappointing.
It was good to get out today!

Awesome Report, Haven't made it out to SARL but am definitely going to make an effort to get out there this weekend, my buddy went out on Saturday and said the same thing that it was nearly empty its possible the holidays have people staying home.

Keep it up :-)

Fishingdachronarch201E7
12-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Awesome report very informative good job on the limits!

Tony G

JAG107
12-16-2015, 02:09 PM
Always good to see a positive report. Thanks for posting Marley! Is b&w primarily the best way to fish SARL from a boat, or is trolling a productive option as well? I've never trout fished here, I did most of my winter trouting at Corona and Irvine...until this year anyway.

Marley
12-16-2015, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys. A tip to the 'River Lakes is a nostalgic venture for me, literally feels like walking into the home of a longtime friend. Corona much the same (PLEASE God, let there be rain...) but there's no place like SARL.
B&W is effective from a boat, but you can also fish plastics (hit the inlet) and troll. If you rent a boat, ask for one that is throttled down for trolling or it will idle too fast. I like bright colors there, with flame- and bubblegum-colored Mirashads being two favorites. Watch for terns working wads of shad and you will often find feeding trout under them, especially steelhead when those are in the lake. In addition to orange they like green and white at SARL so try tossing a mouse or stinger in one of those patterns.
The morning breeze comes more east than northeast and while you can drift it, it pushes you in the wrong direction and you have to watch how close you skim the shoreline in places. The afternoon breeze sets you up better but is sometimes pretty strong and it pushes you a little fast. I like to drift/slow troll C-rigged half 'crawlers with one just under the surface and one down about 12 feet. GREAT way to fish the hackle is via float tube and if you do, don't be surprised when Mr. Whiskers can't resist and takes you for a tube ride. My PB channel nailed a half 'crawler skittering across the bottom and kept me bent for over half an hour. Went 8 pounds and was a lot of fun on the 2-lb. tackle.
Definitely give them a try... good luck!

Fishingdachronarch201E7
12-17-2015, 08:50 AM
again, good stuff!!! might be tubing it this saturday.....

Thank you!!!!

Marley
12-17-2015, 09:57 AM
again, good stuff!!! might be tubing it this saturday.....

Thank you!!!!

Good luck if you go... Whack a toad!

old pudd fisher
12-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Thanks I enjoyed reading your report Marley, haven't fished that place in years.

Mr T-rex
12-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Nice i always enjoying reading your reports Marley.
There is no better way than old school natural fishing.