PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing: Saltwater, and freshwater.

JimmisLine
12-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Any one here on this forum do any fly fishing? If so I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.
Salt and freshwater.

Dci4me
12-09-2015, 09:35 PM
I do occasionally. My fly fishing partner moved to Port Angeles, and it's just not the same for me anymore.

HeadShakes
12-10-2015, 02:37 PM
I have never learned how to salt water fly fish. Lived in Alaska for a time and did a lot of fly fishing there as well as Humboldt county. I have only fly fished some little creeks here in So Cal, but its been quite some time. Would love to get out there again!

BassinPLS
12-15-2015, 07:51 AM
Any one here on this forum do any fly fishing? If so I'd like to hear from you. Thanks.
Salt and freshwater.

JimmisLine,

I used to fly fish a lot; but got into Bass Fishing about 15 years ago and 'have gone back to the fly fishing. When I was fly fishing a lot. I joined Deep Creek Fly Fishing club. They are a really great bunch of guys and ladies. I could gone on many paragraphs about what fun I had in the club. They have a fantastic web site. Check them out a really super group!

Here is the web site address:

http://www.deepcreekflyfishers.org/

I just copied their meeting location and date from the calendar located on their web site. Here it is:

Club Meeting Download as iCal file

Wednesday, January 27, 2016, 07:00pm - 09:00pm
Next Repeat

Location Izaak Walton Clubhouse 2710 Dexter Drive Fairmount Park Riverside, Ca.

Stinkbait
12-15-2015, 12:17 PM
I fly fish the surf here in OC. Have caught everything that swims in the surf except a SFC and the rare striper. Lots and lots of beans.
Fly fish the Sierras and all out local mtns, but not in a while.....like riding a bike though.

shinbob
12-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Fly fishing for boiling stripers -- now THAT is a thrill!

Let's be honest, catching boilers on gear isn't really that much of a challenge, pretty much anything vaguely fish-shaped will catch them. But this year at Pyramid I started trying to catch them on a fly rod to up the handicap. Wow! Seeing them wake, then slash a surface popper is as much fun as I've had saltwater flyfishing in Florida. Plus a 2-3 lb striper can put quite a bend in a 6wt fly rod. There was a learning curve for me, I had to learn to double haul to get any distance, and my catch rate was way down compared to flukes, but I'm totally addicted now and can't wait for the summer to try it again.

NFCD I
12-15-2015, 02:46 PM
I fish the opening day every year for the past 10 years of the Madison River in Montana with the owners of Hatch Reels. I had one of them out to Skinner last year when the stripers were boiling. He wants me to take him back, but I haven't seen a legitimate boil in over a year.

DarkShadow
12-16-2015, 01:47 PM
I fish the opening day every year for the past 10 years of the Madison River in Montana with the owners of Hatch reels.

You get a good discount!?

I have a new 5 weight rod that needs a Finatic 5+ on it.

NFCD I
12-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Sorry, they're not big on discounts at Hatch.

You get a good discount!?

I have a new 5 weight rod that needs a Finatic 5+ on it.

DarkShadow
12-17-2015, 09:28 AM
Sorry, they're not big on discounts at Hatch.

I know...that's why you never see any of their reels on sale.

Then again, the Finatic is such a popular item that there is no need for it to go on sale, since people will gladly purchase it for MSRP.

NFCD I
12-17-2015, 10:46 AM
I know...that's why you never see any of their reels on sale.

Then again, the Finatic is such a popular item that there is no need for it to go on sale, since people will gladly purchase it for MSRP.

You're correct. Throw a life time warranty on top of it, how could you go wrong. I've used their 5+ for 7 or 8 years now and haven't had one problem. I also have a 3+ for my 3 wt. that I use for blue gill fishing.

fishmounter
12-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Years ago I did a lot of fly fishing both in fresh and saltwater. I learned how to fly fish in saltwater by casting streamer flies for bonita from the rocks on the San Gabriel River right there at Westminster Blvd.. Unbelievable fun fishing. Found out the hard way that you need quite a bit of backing on your flyreel! Every once in a while you'd hook a big jumping Needlefish, but they usually got off because of their hard bony mouth..tough to get a good hook set. There was a power plant there on the east side that would suck in cooler water to cool their generators and pump out warm water into the river. This warmer water went down the mile or two to the ocean where it attracted small baitfish, mostly smelt, that would swim upstream to it's source to feed. Bonito, mackerel, needlefish, even halibut and small White Seabass followed the bait upstream where the fishing could be phenomenal at times. Well thanks to stupid fishermen who left trash and dead fish everywhere, plus there were no restrooms- (you know what that means) the city closed the entire area down, fenced it off and posted NO TRESPASSING signs everywhere, that were strictly enforced. Oh man, the good old days!