PDA

View Full Version : The best beaches for surf fishing for halibut?

fishmounter
12-03-2015, 12:33 AM
I'm not trying to know your best "secret" spots, but what are the best beaches in southern Calif. to find halibut in the surf zone? I'm a novice to surf fishing, and would like to know where to go.. Pm me if you'd prefer.. Thanks!

bones
12-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Almost any beach here in SoCal can hold halibut. The secret is two things. Consistency of bait holding in the area which draws them into casting distance and makes them hold in the area for an extended period of time and favorable water temps which from my experience is anywhere between 58 and 68 degrees. The rest is up to the anglers presentation of selected baits and persistence in finding where they are hanging out. Halibut are a social species so where there is one there is a high possibility that there is more. Sometimes it takes a lot of walking to find them but it can be rewarding if you are dedicated to finding them. Read the sticky at the top of the forum you originally posted in written by Marc aka bsp and you will have the knowledge you need to pursue them. The rest is up to you.

Good luck out there

Mike

fishmounter
12-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Thanks bones, I appreciate your informative reply. Now I just need to know if Newport Beach is a worthwhile place to try for halibut. I go there frequently to visit friends. Also, Corona Del Mar beach used to be loaded with halibut back in the day..1980s. We used to launch our 4 man inflatable and fish jigs and plastics just 50 to 100 yards offshore and caught lots of 'butts. Most were undersized, but for every 7 or 8 we caught , one would be a keeper. I wonder if it's still like that?..

vdisney
12-04-2015, 07:47 AM
Like Mike said, keep moving until you find them. Had a beach producing every day for a few weeks.............then nothing. Moved around for a few trips and found them again several miles south. Keep at it and good luck, Verne

smokehound
12-04-2015, 11:35 AM
River mouths are good halibut magnets

bones
12-05-2015, 08:52 AM
I did once hit Corona Del Mar about 10 years ago and caught one short halibut to the left by the big rocks but that is it. I used to hit the harbor both on foot and on my float tube quite often in search of flatties, spotties and the occasional sand bass. If you have the chance Id hit various areas within the harbor. Its super fishy.