PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Avoid Losing Lures?

Sir.Snags.A.Lot
12-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Hey guys,
I've lost a lot of lures in the past and I finally got sick of it when I lost my DEPS 250 at Cerritos Lake.
I feel like I keep catching structure. How do you guys normally avoid this?

DarkShadow
12-01-2015, 02:01 PM
I avoid this by continually fishing the same areas.

If you're not losing lures, you're not fishing the right place.

If you must fish structure, you can fish stuff that is weedless instead. Nothing goes through all that crap than a carefully rigged TRig.

Marley
12-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Yup, it has been said that "If you're not losing 'em, you're not using 'em." Sucks to lose any hardware, especially a pricey piece. We all lose it.

Perris_holic
12-01-2015, 05:27 PM
I have a deps 250 that I've probably casted 10 times. It was hard for me to concentrate on fishing when I was worried about snagging a $200 lure on some structure.

DEVOREFLYER
12-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Invest in a good lure retriever and learn how to use it. Haven't lost a lure since I got it figured out. Be advised they only work from a boat and not from shore.

Ifishtoolittle
12-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Invest in a good lure retriever and learn how to use it. Haven't lost a lure since I got it figured out. Be advised they only work from a boat and not from shore.

x2. They work from shore if you can create a high enough angle with your rod to drop the retriever down to your lure. If you have light rod and line the retriever may not work that well because you can't maintain that slant in your line.

DEVOREFLYER
12-01-2015, 06:32 PM
x2. They work from shore if you can create a high enough angle with your rod to drop the retriever down to your lure. If you have light rod and line the retriever may not work that well because you can't maintain that slant in your line.

Your chance of retrieval is near 100% if you are vertical over the lure and keep a taunt line. Run the retriever down and bounce retriever and rod tip at the same time. I have mine attached to 550 lb paracord wrapped around a 1 inch wood dowel. The dowel allows the cord to freely spin off the dowel and the dowel is great for griping and pulling. I have straightened many a treble hook and pulled up huge timber...lol

Ifishtoolittle
12-02-2015, 12:52 AM
Your chance of retrieval is near 100% if you are vertical over the lure and keep a taunt line. Run the retriever down and bounce retriever and rod tip at the same time. I have mine attached to 550 lb paracord wrapped around a 1 inch wood dowel. The dowel allows the cord to freely spin off the dowel and the dowel is great for griping and pulling. I have straightened many a treble hook and pulled up huge timber...lol

For sure. I primarily use lures when I'm fishing the fresh, but I'm shorebound most of the time which is when I need that dang retriever! Hmm... is your retriever a DIY? I have one but it's a cheapo Chinese brand.

Marley
12-02-2015, 04:23 AM
Always wondered if those retrieves worked. Good to know they do.

DEVOREFLYER
12-02-2015, 06:17 AM
For sure. I primarily use lures when I'm fishing the fresh, but I'm shorebound most of the time which is when I need that dang retriever! Hmm... is your retriever a DIY? I have one but it's a cheapo Chinese brand.

The one I use is like this one but has 4 chains attached. http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-EZ-Lure-Retriever/product/44428/

Again the trick is learning how to use it as I explained above. I don't try to use it to knock the lure loose as that technique has not worked for me. I bounce the retriever to entangle the chain in a hook.

And I have saved these many a time. 47317

Nuoc Mam
12-02-2015, 07:20 AM
This might work to retrieve a stuck lure when shore fishing (depending how far out your lure is stuck)
In the past trout fishing, I usually get quite a few lures stuck about 10-15ft out, what I'll do is use a weight with that rubber sole where you can twist it onto your line and then cast it out far as possible. If done correctly and weight is heavy enough, the weight will get casted out way out pass the lure and hopefully it'll pull the lure in opposite direction and free it up. Doesn't hurt to try it since lure is stuck and pretty much you're going lose it.

It's not the best explanation on how to do it but hopefully you get the idea.

Basically you had a stuck lure, tighten the line until tip of rod is somewhat lined up with the shore and then give it about 3ft more line, tie/wrap weight (varies depending on your lure size/weight) then cast it out as hard and far as you can, the weight will fly out and hopefully dislodges the stuck lure and just reel in the weight, and if you feel your lure is free, take weight off and reel in the lure. If it's still stuck, try a few more times. You're basically using the weight to free the lure up.

NFCD I
12-02-2015, 08:33 AM
I have a deps 250 that I've probably casted 10 times. It was hard for me to concentrate on fishing when I was worried about snagging a $200 lure on some structure.

If I could afford $200.00 lures, I guess I wouldn't worry about losing them.

DEVOREFLYER
12-02-2015, 08:43 AM
If I could afford $200.00 lures, I guess I wouldn't worry about losing them.

It's not the cost it's about, if you don't have a spare or two your fishing day is over.

Ifishtoolittle
12-02-2015, 07:47 PM
The one I use is like this one but has 4 chains attached. http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-EZ-Lure-Retriever/product/44428/

Again the trick is learning how to use it as I explained above. I don't try to use it to knock the lure loose as that technique has not worked for me. I bounce the retriever to entangle the chain in a hook.

And I have saved these many a time. 47317

I've always opted for the knocking ones, but I just may try the chain ones now.

flyhigh123
12-03-2015, 10:18 AM
what kind of line are you using? For the pricey lures, maybe get better line and bump it up a few pounds... less fish but easier to pull out. I havent done this but, how about changing out the trebles to doubles?

drifter023
12-03-2015, 07:06 PM
You don't that is why I do not buy them a pack of storms lures gos a long ways. But I still get mad when I lose one.:Razz:

Perris_holic
12-03-2015, 09:05 PM
Losing any lure sucks but losing pricey ones sucks even more.

shinbob
12-04-2015, 08:01 AM
You don't that is why I do not buy them a pack of storms lures gos a long ways. But I still get mad when I lose one.:Razz:

Between gas and the entrance fee, it costs me almost $60 for a day of fishing. Yet I still get pissed when I lose a $1 darter head :LOL:

Losing a $200 lure? I'd go out of my mind...

Nuoc Mam
12-04-2015, 08:34 AM
Lures were made to be lost. If we didn't lose any of our lures then these companies will not exist. Imagine if you can't ever lose a lure, a rod/reel never breaks, fishing line never breaks/goes bad, how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ some of us will be saving but then on the down side, companies who produce these parts won't exist because you wouldn't have to purchase any of these items ever again.

Nuoc Mam
12-04-2015, 08:37 AM
Hey guys,
I've lost a lot of lures in the past and I finally got sick of it when I lost my DEPS 250 at Cerritos Lake.
I feel like I keep catching structure. How do you guys normally avoid this?

There are other lures out there that catches bass at Cerritos. Maybe looking into using a cheaper lure than the DEPS so therefore won't be as upset as losing a DEPS. Structures hold fish but also hold lures too hahahah =0)

BentRod
12-06-2015, 03:24 PM
Lure retrievers work great and are a must have on your boat. they pay for themselves the first couple of times you use them. In your case it would have paid for itself 10 times on this snag.

HawgZWylde
12-06-2015, 04:00 PM
There are other lures out there that catches bass at Cerritos. Maybe looking into using a cheaper lure than the DEPS so therefore won't be as upset as losing a DEPS. Structures hold fish but also hold lures too hahahah =0)

River to sea s-waver. I've stuck LMB's and Stripers on them. They're reasonably cheap and they work. I lost one once at DVL and it didn't bother me at all. What did bother me is the fact that the rod, reel and line went down with it...

DEVOREFLYER
12-06-2015, 04:23 PM
River to sea s-waver. I've stuck LMB's and Stripers on them. They're reasonably cheap and they work. I lost one once at DVL and it didn't bother me at all. What did bother me is the fact that the rod, reel and line went down with it...

I think I remember that.........lol

HawgZWylde
12-06-2015, 04:43 PM
I think I remember that.........lol

Lol, yup that's the one...