PDA

View Full Version : slow day at the wood

Durdy Daug
11-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Well it was another cold slow day at the wood today. Water temp was 55.1°. Was able to land 2 strippers & 1 very small cat. No signs of LMB, no boils either. I am still trying to figure out how to read or even set my Lawrance fish finders, I have the elete 4 in the back and an elete 5 in the front (trolling motor attached) they are basically set on the factory settings, but I think that they are programmable, I unfortunately do not know how to program them or to see if there are fish around. I can read the speed, weather temp and depth,but that is about all. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Have even considered hiring a guide to fish my boat with me and set every thing up for me.
Additionally I would like to try fishing the river if anyone knows how, where and when the best time to go is. I will pay for everything, just need to learn, and I seem to only learn by hands on method. I don't seem to get it by reading or watching videos.
Sure would appreciate any help.

Stinkbait
11-29-2015, 08:15 PM
I know you said you're better hands on but try the Lowrance website for a tutorial.
Typically, it is just 2-3 settings to get it dialed in. Buddy was in the exact same stage as you and it was pretty fast to get dialed. W/o knowing your unit, I suggest messing with the sensitivity function first while on the water.

sealclubber
11-30-2015, 06:44 AM
Watch the birds:Shocked:..
Fished the dam sunday .I was throwing fluke jrs in white and had good results.
The birds were crashing the water about 200 yds out from the dam at sunup.No love on a sammy 100 though

DEVOREFLYER
11-30-2015, 08:29 AM
ELITE 7 & ELITE 5 HDI SET UP SHEET

SONAR ONLY

PRESS ADJUST AND PRESS ENTER and then:

SENSITIVITY: Set the amount of power 70% in deep water and 60% in shallow water.

AUTO SENSITIVITY: This setting works well in all water depths. If desired, turnoff and use the sensitivity settings above if desire.

RANGE: set to your choice so you can SEE the bottom on a FULL screen. There is a customer setting that can be set to specific ranges as needed,

AUTO DEPTH RANGE: This locks the unit so the bottom is always on the screen. Leave this feature off, unless you want to “scout” an area of varying depths.

FREQUENCY: 200 kHz in fresh water. Use 83 kHz a larger cone in fresh water and use 50 kHz for deep salt water fishing past 400 feet.

PING SPEED: Set to Normal

SONAR OPTIONS: 1. Noise reject set to LOW 2. Surface Clarity OFF 3. Spilt zoom as needed 4. Split Flasher as needed 5. Color WHITE 6. Amplitude Scope is a vertical Flasher, set as needed. Off is preferred but select the screen as needed. 7. Fish ID Off!

STOP SONAR Use as needed

LOG SONAR Use to record any screen as needed. Must use a Micro SD Card

OVERLAY DATA Set the screens up as needed.

SETTINGS:

MANUL MODE The restricts digital depth capability. Leave OFF! For advanced users only

DOWNSCAN OVERLAY This adds the Down Beam over the Sonar beam. Use as needed

FISHING MODE Fresh Water for most anglers

RESET FISHING MODE takes the machine to General Mode

INSTALLATION: 1. Keel Offset leave at 0 2. Water Calibration leave off 3. reset water Speed leave off. 4. Temperature calibration leave off 5. Current water temperatures is correct 6. Transducer Type HDSI 83/200 455/800 kHz BE SURE TO SAVE SETTINGS IF CHANGED

SYSTEM: LANGUAGE English? AUDIO Leave off TIME set to correct time. GPS shows all satellites TRIP CALCULATOR use as needed ADVANCED MODE Leave off. Only for advance users. RESTORE DEFAULT this sets the unit back to factory settings. BROWSE FILES Shows items on the SD card ABOUT Unit serial number, date manufactured and other user data.

CHART Lowrance or Navionics card. COG extension leave off GRID LINES leave off. WAYPOINTS TRAILS AND ROUTES leave ON WAYPOINTS TRAILS AND ROUTES OPENS THE FILE.

ALARMS sets the alarms to desired alarm ranges

UNITS Mode U S Standard

NEMA 2000 Opens up the files to select options as needed.

DOWN SCAN SCREENS

ADJUST CONTRAST Set the contrast so the screen is easy to view

AUTO CONTRAST Set as needed

RANGE leave in AUTO DEPTH RANGE

FREQUENCY 455 kHz for wide bottom reading and 800 for narrow depth reading

PING SPEED Leave in Normal

DOWN SCAN OPTIONS: 1. Noise reject set as needed SURFACE CLARITY Off 2. Split Zoom set as needed COLOR Set as needed

STOP SSONAR Set as needed.

LOG SONAR Log sonar as needed

OVERLAY DATA Sets overlay items on screen as needed

Durdy Daug
11-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info, any chance you could set them up for me? I try to fish every weekend unless the wind is above 8 mph.

Durdy Daug
11-30-2015, 06:31 PM
Couple of questions, 1 do I need to have the boat in the water to make these changes? 2 Transducer type HDSI 83/200 455/800 is there a choice for me to make? If I am right the system indicated 455/800 not sure if I can change to 83/200 or which is better. I wrote all of your instructions down so that I can try to set them up properly.
Thank you for this information!

DEVOREFLYER
11-30-2015, 08:07 PM
You can make the changes in your driveway the boat does not need to be in the water. If you have a power source you can make the changes in your house. You have a duel transducer the 83/200 is for 2D Sonar and the 455/800 is for the Down scan. You make the settings for each separately 200 kHz in fresh water. Use 83 kHz a larger cone in fresh water. Use 455 kHz for wide bottom reading and 800 for narrow depth reading. If you have a problem yes I could do the set up for you.

Durdy Daug
12-01-2015, 06:38 AM
Wow, that is awesome news, I have 2 boats and 4 fish finders, I have had the first boat for just about 3 years now and have not been able to figure it out, that boat sits at a family house as I just bought the 195 TAX this past August, I really enjoy the comfort and speed of the new boat, but get frustrated with the electronics.
Are you available to fish this weekend? I will check on the weather to see the wind conditions. Would love to try for the strippers on trout stocking, but I have no idea when that will be. I have a lot of time accrued at work, so I can take off on a weekday if needed/desired.