PDA

View Full Version : south lake/bishop creek

mr. trout
10-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Hello, im heading up to bidhop creek canyon for the last time this year at the end of this month. i was planning on staying at parchers again because i loved it and i loved being able to walk down to parchers hole at anytime but i saw that there were no more openings. We had to rent cabin 1 at bishop creek resort. I have never stayed here just seen it on the way up to parchers and south lake. i was wandering if anyone knows any good creek spots right near the resort i can walk to from my cabin. also my dad and i were planning on renting a boat on south lake to try to catch my first alper, can anyone tell me my best bet on a boat>? thank you guys.

Mr. Trout

Faulter_Mike
10-14-2007, 10:22 PM
hey man... me and my dad stayed at bishop creek lodge last year. We had the little red cabin on the opposite side of the road. The folks there are real nice. The cabins aren't quite as nice as Parcher's but they certainly get the job done. About the holes within walking distance... I don't remember there being any obvious ones... not like at parcher's anyway. I know the RV resort (i think it's called Creekside??) right across the way has a little pond they stock, but that might be private. If you want some good holes on the creek that you can walk around and enjoy, I really suggest making the 2 minute drive up the road to fish willow camp. The creek is really wide all thru there and always gets me my limit. plus the campground is closed now so there shouldn't be any pressure on it at all. I've pulled some fatty browns and a few alper's outta that section of creek right there. anyway homie, hope that helps. have a killer trip. peace. - Mike

Mike274
10-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Mr. Trout,

Just walk the creek and look for fish holding in holes. In the creek I have always had good luck with salmon eggs (Pautke's are the best). As for South Lake I believe they have closed the area behind the island due to low water levels. That is the best place this time of year for Alpers and spawning browns. However, anywhere around there should be good as well.

Just got back from Convict Lake with very good results. About 100 fish, all rainbows, for 2.5 days to include a 4.2 punder.

Mike

Sierra_Smitty
10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Bishop Creek Lodge is a great place to stay...nice folks down there. You'll probably see me and some of my crew down there at least a few times during your stay. The creek right across the street is a pretty nice stretch. There is Ron's pond at Creekside but it's privately stocked and he doesn't take kindly to folks who aren't staying at his place fishing it. Four Jeffrey is just down the road and has some nice stretches of creek as well.

As for South Lake - the shoreline between the rockslide and what used to be called Roger's cove has been pumping out quite a few Alpers over the past few weeks. The beach area at the south end of the main body of the lake is also kicking out some monsters...including a 7lber last week. Jigs and trout worms have best for the big fish. The channel to the left of the Island is the best spot if you like to bait fish....by the time you get here it may very well be the inlet as the water is still dropping relatively fast...that would be a very good thing for the fishing. Trolling has been excellent on the dam side of the lake...one of our guests caught at least 10 fish per day including a few 3lbers three days in a row trolling olive wooly buggers and brown trout CD7's. What dates are you coming up? We're planning on pulling most of our fleet and our docks on Sunday the 21st but will probably keep a few boats on the water if the weather report is favorable.

troutdog
10-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Thnaks for the info Smitty....good luck to all you guys fishing the fall bite!

TD

mr. trout
10-17-2007, 06:23 PM
we are planning on heading up friday of the 26th right when my school ends fishing thaT evening and all of saturday and sunday we were planning on renting a boat most likely saturday but if the weather is bad i guess we will just go from shore thank u guys for the info