PDA

View Full Version : Nice dat at the wood.

Durdy Daug
11-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Jig guy and I fished the wood today the water temp this morning was if I recall 51 degrees and warmed up to 55?. To say that it was a tough bite would be putting it mildly. We fished the quarry and the bout line. I hooked and landed 1 short LMB, 3 cats, and 2 schoolie strippers.
Going from the line, my life vest flew out of the boat, Bill tried to pick it up, but another guy stopped first and picked it up. Bill pointed out their boat, I inquired about my vest and the guy started giving some lip, but then said that it was in the back of their truck, I debated going back for it but was too excited to get my rod bent, so off we went to the quarry, fished with little success and Bill suggested we try the bout line. Who do you think we see there... yup the same guys, they parked a rods distance from another boat (CLOSE) again I inquired if they were the ones who found my jacket. The older guy again starts giving Bill lip, they hall ***** out after a few minutes. I told Bill, "bet you $10 that they are heading out of here (11:00). Bill comments how rude they were, well at least the 1 guy, I said not to worry, we all reap what we sow.
As I'm leaving the lake at 16:50 I ask the guy at the gate if anyone returned a life vest, he asked me to describe it so I did (knowing full well that it hadn't been turned in). Well - surprise, surprise, surprise!!! They had turned it in! Nice, saved me $50 bucks.
So all ended well. Had a great time fishing with Bill "The Gig Guy" a real gentleman!
Gonna hit it again ASAP!

Jig-Guy
11-22-2015, 06:02 PM
Durdy Daug! thank you for the fun day at Silverwood in your beautiful boat. I had a great time and am glad you caught that cool large catfish + the others.
Thank you again for the fun outing & TL's:Thumbs Up:,
Jig-Guy / Bill

BassinPLS
11-23-2015, 07:10 AM
Durdy Daug,

'Sorry to hear about your vest. There are some real "low lifes" out there. Too bad you happened to run into one. Bad Karma to him!

sumodnb
11-23-2015, 03:34 PM
I fished from the bank Sunday, it was my first time at Silverwood and to say there are rude boaters is an understatement. It seems that every time I made the long hike to another cove some douchebag would pull up smack dab in front of me and start chunkin swimbaits at the same bushes I was trying to flip!! Totally made the horrible bite that much harder to bear. Next time I'm throwin rocks for sure.

Durdy Daug
11-23-2015, 07:45 PM
You can join me on my boat, I go out as often as I can. Let me know if you want to fish from the boat, it is way different than from the shore!

BassinPLS
11-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Durdy Daug,

That was nice of you to extend the invitation to sumodnb cause a boat really helps at Silverwood. 'Never have fished it from shore; but I am sure it makes it that much tougher!

seal
11-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Many of us prefer shore fishing the Wood, reason being you can fish the hours the big ones bite at and during those hours no boats are allowed. There is a serious lack of courtesy with some in the early season swimbait crowd, especially when they come from other lakes with a different type of angler mentality and that there is no current private boat launching (see DVL).

Durdy Daug
11-24-2015, 08:07 PM
I know that this might sound stupid, but it could be that the particular person (boater) simply did not know how disrespectful his actions were. As for me, I have lots to learn about freshwater fishing protocol. I learned the point Loma parking protocol real fast, and have seen many of fist fights as a result of someone not following the protocol (cutting line in the parking lot) as for me, I would politely explain the protocol to the new people when they cut in on me. Generally they were polite and thanked me for explaining, a few not so much, but that is a given with our society, thinking that it is the loudest, and as they presume themself to be the toughest!
If I am observed breaking protocol, it will be simply out of ignorance. Tell me how I retired and I will make the change! As I am new to this aspect of the sport I will surly make mistakes, and if not corrected I will not know that what I did was wrong or disrespectful. As for me, I want to grow and learn in this great sport!

Jig-Guy
11-25-2015, 05:37 PM
Durdy Daug! I fished with you in your boat last Saturday for over 6 hours on the water. You did a great job handling your boat and was considerate to everyone around us. Even when we hit the quarry the guys on the point were set up on shore and you made every effort not to mess their fishing up. We started fishing more than 40 yards from their location. I give you a 5 star rating for you protocol, boat handling & shore fisherperson respect. GOOD JOB :Thumbs Up:!
Long cast flipping? After 59 years of bass fishing I don't remember long cast's flipping :Rolls Eyes: .
Tight Lines & everyone have a good time on Turkey Day!
Jig-Guy / Bill :Big Grin:

Ssortasober
11-28-2015, 08:36 AM
A little advice on the point Loma parking, the hotel across the street will let you park there $20 per day, no hassle

sumodnb
12-04-2015, 04:00 PM
You can join me on my boat, I go out as often as I can. Let me know if you want to fish from the boat, it is way different than from the shore!

Hey Daug! Thanks for the invite mah man, I would love to fish with you one of these days. I'll PM you with my info brother.

Durdy Daug
12-04-2015, 07:16 PM
Okay, I plan on giving it a go this Sunday. Forecasting winds for tomorrow. Never get to do any catching whenever the wind is up!