PDA

View Full Version : silverwood... blowing me hard

flyhigh123
11-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Got a late start to silverwood due to a dead battery.

Got to the lake a 8:30am. I could see whitecaps in the channel from the freeway. Decided to still launch with 3 friends who dont normally fish.

got to the launch and noticed it down 15 feet from where it was last year. a lot of structure showed up due to this drop.

Started mid channel and started the troll, after 20 min, picked up 1st schoolie. I could see them stacked up, but had lock jaw on many points and coves... Went to quarry and picked up another. By now the wind was starting to pick up, around 10:30. Trolled some more but the stripers werent really hungry, and the wind was howling making trolling difficult. At times i would be at 4mph and then a gust of wind drop down to 2mph. Rigs got hung up a few times, and lost one rig due to dropping down to 1.5mph and the rig caught on a submerged tree.

At around 11:20am, sheriff rolls up to me. Tells me they are closing down the lake to boats. The wind was blowing around 30mph but managebale. he points towards the mountains which was behind me and i could see a giant dark mass heading our way. Asked for 10 more min, but he said its turning quick. Turned the boat around and hauled it back towards the launch. Before i get there, i dropp the rigs one last time and pick up one more schoolie. Called it from there. I wish i could have stayed out longer as I coould see the schoolies ready to bust wide open and eat.

Made it to shakey's for lunch and called it a good day. Friends were happy with a fish each.

Hopefully make it out again, but if not, will be here next year.

Water temp: 58.7
Wind, 30+
Air Temp: Cold....

JAG107
11-16-2015, 04:12 PM
Wow glad you got outta there safely. I guess I made the right call by going saturday instead of Sunday, it was dead calm; but so was the troll bite. I only managed one schoolie back in chemise around 11:00. I went by the quarry but have never caught anything back there. I've also never fished the lake after October before, so maybe the patterns have changed with the onset of Fall. Saw a pic of a nice 8lber caught on mack earlier in the week by another guy at the ramp. Trout are getting stocked on tuesdays now, I wonder how many stripeys will be drawn into miller and cleghorn for the winter?

Jig-Guy
11-16-2015, 06:26 PM
X's 2 on getting off the water. I have seen the waves over 3 feet tall hit the launching ramp. Not a fun deal getting my boat back on the trailer.
Anyway glad you all got bit and had some fun.

bstolton
11-18-2015, 07:48 PM
FH123

Saw you guys out there, we were in the pontoon boat. We got skunked. The wind was getting pretty wicked right before we left. I `m new to striper fishing, haven't had much luck, but I managed to get one or two on my previous outings. Need to hookup with someone who`s got more experience and figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Anybody in the Riverside area that wants to tag along on my next outing and share there knowledge send me a pm.

Thanks Bill

flyhigh123
11-18-2015, 11:08 PM
Ah! Good to see you out there. Hit up TO! he knows that lake really well... will get you on striped bass in no time!

seal
11-19-2015, 08:40 AM
Wow glad you got outta there safely. I guess I made the right call by going saturday instead of Sunday, it was dead calm; but so was the troll bite. I only managed one schoolie back in chemise around 11:00. I went by the quarry but have never caught anything back there. I've also never fished the lake after October before, so maybe the patterns have changed with the onset of Fall. Saw a pic of a nice 8lber caught on mack earlier in the week by another guy at the ramp. Trout are getting stocked on tuesdays now, I wonder how many stripeys will be drawn into miller and cleghorn for the winter?

Trout are not being stocked on Tuesdays, don't know where that started. There is no set day.

Ian
11-19-2015, 08:51 AM
Trout are not being stocked on Tuesdays, don't know where that started. There is no set day.

When was the last stock?

flyhigh123
11-19-2015, 10:00 AM
When was the last stock?

the ranger there told me the last stocking was really small. he said a small truck came and dropped in a few nets worth and left. i dont really fish for trout.

seal
11-19-2015, 10:00 AM
When was the last stock?

Wednesday 11/11. 600 lbs.

Durdy Daug
11-19-2015, 06:15 PM
I just heard today that parris just stocked today and silverwood is scheduled for tomorrow. Jig guy and I plan on going Saturday, will check it out and post late Saturday.

Jig-Guy
11-19-2015, 06:42 PM
Durdy Daug! Ready to go:Thumbs Up:. Check your PM from me.