PDA

View Full Version : do trout bite right after being stocked?

aj90b
11-13-2015, 04:44 PM
thinking about going to sarl tomorrow am since it says they just stocked Thursday, would you guys recommend it or would the fish bite be slow? any info is much appreciated never caught a trout before but hopefully soon!

Mr T-rex
11-14-2015, 02:48 PM
how'd it go ??

Number1topgun
11-14-2015, 03:09 PM
People were catching fish yesterday. I saw a few pics on facebook. They had at least 2-3 fish each.

aj90b
11-14-2015, 05:37 PM
how'd it go ??

Got skunked lol, but didn't really see anyone catching anything on the lake maybe 1 or 2 all day

Mr T-rex
11-16-2015, 11:44 AM
Got skunked lol, but didn't really see anyone catching anything on the lake maybe 1 or 2 all day

Yea i figured! it was a test plant and weather is getting cooler so the future looks good
The big trout opener is this upcoming weekend! cant wait

DaFish
11-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Just depends on how many they stock.
They stock the lake with the tanks of fish into nets.

However, They have to scoop the fish out of the nets and release them into the rest of the lake.

I been there when it was dark and saw the guy on on a boat open a hatch and scoop out two
scoops of fish for the whole lake and the go on this merry way. or like 20 fish.

That is why you see cars and cars all around the lake and No one is catching if they
caught a few.

It just depends on how they feel. There are some good weekends in the beginning
but after that they slow down.

It is kinda like the Lotto and the scratchers the first few weeks the scratcher is good
but after that is very very slow.

Kinda of sucker people in and then turn it off on them.

Best of luck - I will fish there but kinda a cringe when I see cars and cars with
not one person catching the whole day.

etucker1959
11-23-2015, 03:24 PM

However, They have to scoop the fish out of the nets and release them into the rest of the lake.

I been there when it was dark and saw the guy on on a boat open a hatch and scoop out two
scoops of fish for the whole lake and the go on this merry way. or like 20 fish.

That is why you see cars and cars all around the lake and No one is catching if they
caught a few.

It is kinda like the Lotto and the scratchers the first few weeks the scratcher is good

Best of luck - I will fish there but kinda a cringe when I see cars and cars with
See my Shad comments on another thread!!! lol

jhernandez25
11-23-2015, 03:38 PM

caught a few.

I have heard rumors that they stock into nets how TRUE is this do they really stock into nets or is that just a folk tale, interested to know.

etucker1959
11-23-2015, 03:43 PM
I have heard rumors that they stock into nets how TRUE is this do they really stock into nets or is that just a folk tale, interested to know.
It was a common practice they used to do a lot. Not so anymore, now they are pretty honest on their stocking videos when they do do it. (most of the time it's when they have a tournament)

goodguy
11-23-2015, 04:52 PM

I know this used to be a common practice of theirs... However, I was under the imression that they no longer use the nets. SO Sneaky and dishonest for them to do it in the first place. This is why I haven't fished there in 12 years. I don't trust em...

etucker1959
11-23-2015, 05:33 PM
I know this used to be a common practice of theirs... However, I was under the imression that they no longer use the nets. SO Sneaky and dishonest for them to do it in the first place. This is why I haven't fished there in 12 years. I don't trust em...
When they use to drain that lake every year, it would fish really good. Corona Lake also would fish good most of the time.

Marley
11-23-2015, 11:06 PM

So, why is it sneaky and dishonest? They never advertise that they plant all of the fish at once, people only assume that they do. What difference would it make if they said they planted, for instance, 1,000 pounds every Monday, Wednesday and Friday or if they said they planted 3,000 pounds every week? Is that dishonest, too?
Take the time to learn the lake and how it works and why the fish hold and bite where they do. Doesn't matter how many are planted, anyway, if they don't bite.

Marley
11-23-2015, 11:08 PM
When they use to drain that lake every year, if would fish really good. Corona Lake also would fish good most of the time.

Corona Lake just about is drained. Sure hope we get rain to fill it again, and that they open the lake back up to fishing (hopefully after cleaning out some of that brush)

jhernandez25
11-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Thanks for all the insights and yes its extremely dishonest if they continue to plant into nets, either way if I catch or get skunked I enjoy fishing and getting to talk to fellow fisherman but recently I have tried talking to the fellow fisherman to my left or right but they make it seem like if am trying to take their fishing secrets and publish a book or even steal their fish, I guess Commoderie is slowing fading away between fisherman.

seal
11-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Same old stuff. Lot's of spoiled fishermen these days and lot's of instant gratification attitudes, sorry that's what it sounds like at times. You need to learn the lake just like any other, pay to fish or not it's still fishing.

Oh and Etucker maybe another reason for better fishing after the lake drains, cleaner/clearer water, trout like that and as far as shad goes if that's really the case maybe using a shad imitation instead of dunking smelly playdoh?

fishinglakes.com
11-24-2015, 11:05 AM
The Lake has not used the nets for many years.

In the past, we tried using the nets to help spread the fish over a few days, instead of having them all caught on the stocking day. When the cost of fuel went up, our trout supplier would only deliver one big load per week.

We now close the Lake on the day we stock to allow the trout an opportunity to become acclimated to the water and spread out across the Lake, so everyone gets a better shot at the trout.

We are sacrificing one whole day of business every week, to hopefully make fishing the best it can be for everybody.

We are still the ONLY Lake that stocks EVERY WEEK without fail.

Thank you for your continued support.

goodguy
11-24-2015, 11:42 AM
The Lake has not used the nets for many years.

In the past, we tried using the nets to help spread the fish over a few days, instead of having them all caught on the stocking day. When the cost of fuel went up, our trout supplier would only deliver one big load per week.

We now close the Lake on the day we stock to allow the trout an opportunity to become acclimated to the water and spread out across the Lake, so everyone gets a better shot at the trout.

We are sacrificing one whole day of business every week, to hopefully make fishing the best it can be for everybody.

We are still the ONLY Lake that stocks EVERY WEEK without fail.

Thank you for your continued support.

Thanks for clarifying! You guys ARE the only game in town this year, as far as boating and steady stockings. So it should be a great year for ya, good luck! I live about a mile away, haven't been in about 12 years due to a few bad experiences in a row. Maybe when my wallet recovers from christmas I will stop by and give you guys a shot!

etucker1959
11-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Same old stuff. Lot's of spoiled fishermen these days and lot's of instant gratification attitudes, sorry that's what it sounds like at times. You need to learn the lake just like any other, pay to fish or not it's still fishing.

Oh and Etucker maybe another reason for better fishing after the lake drains, cleaner/clearer water, trout like that and as far as shad goes if that's really the case maybe using a shad imitation instead of dunking smelly playdoh?
You're right about the playdoh!!!! When the lake was clear of the shad, drifting the doh from my boat was just to easy. I am going to try to learn to fish the plastics better this year. I was also thinking about some lead core trolling ideas.

DarkShadow
11-24-2015, 02:39 PM
....maybe using a shad imitation instead of dunking smelly playdoh?

You recommend a flavor? Glitter or no glitter? Should I use The Juice or The Sauce as an attractant?

seal
11-24-2015, 03:36 PM
You recommend a flavor? Glitter or no glitter? Should I use The Juice or The Sauce as an attractant?

All of the above. It's important to match the smell though. Catch a shad and shove it up your nose, let that be your guide.

Marley
11-24-2015, 04:54 PM
Only one thing to remember: if they're not biting 'crawlers, they're not biting. Real 'crawlers, not those pinched things in a jar.

marc626
11-24-2015, 07:49 PM
Yeah. If there's shad in there, they likely are chasing them. Sometimes their stomachs are full of shad in my lake a few days after the plant.

lowe
11-26-2015, 02:01 AM
Only one thing to remember: if they're not biting 'crawlers, they're not biting. Real 'crawlers, not those pinched things in a jar.

Right on .. keep it old school.
When the bite get tough crawlers works for me "keep it simple" there is really no science in catching trout they can be biting that day and some days there'r not you have to put the time in no way around it ..lo

jiggaman
12-08-2015, 08:54 AM
You can watch the video and see when it's stocking the nets . Usually it's one tank in main lake and the other two tanks in nets for the weekend . Sometimes two in main lake . Chris pond gets the full stock and no net . Early in the year there is no nets holding fish . Was there this last Friday and had a limit in 15 min . Just gotta fish hard

Nuoc Mam
12-08-2015, 09:32 AM
Back in the days they used to hold them in nets, now they don't unless it's a special occasion (tournament/opener) that's my guess.
I've always done great on Friday mornings after the Thursday's stocking.

This is fishing experience at SARL:

Early morning I fish 3-6 inch leader and cast out no more than 10ft out. When sun comes up a bit and gets a little warmer, I still fish 3-6 inch leader but would fish it about 15ft out. Trout are a schooling and cruising fish. What they do is cruise in one direction and then they will turn around and cruise back. So if the person next to you get bit, the odds of you getting bit is better IMO. Tailwalkers in my experience tend to hit the color orange and pink more often than chartuese or any other color, that's just me though. Another tip I will give is use mealworms, I don't see many anglers using mealworms for trout fishing. I've had great success with mealworms when nothing else is working. I basically will thread the mealworm on a size 10 baitholder hook and flyline it out and let it sink for about 5-7 seconds (depends how deep the water is where you're fishing) then I will jig it in like a mini-jig doing about 3-5 bounces and then let it sink again and repeat. Most of the fish that I catch with this method will take the mealworm on the drop because it's like a natural sinking food for them.

For locations on where to fish:
I usually fish the docks, levitz corner, bubble hole or the sandy beach area. But it's fishing, so you really don't know where, when and what they'll bite on. Just bring a variety of bait. One more tip is if you don't get bit for like an 1 hr, I would suggest moving.

I'm no expert but that's what I have been noticing when fishing for trout and hope that helps.

Good luck and tight lines to all.

Mr T-rex
12-08-2015, 10:29 AM
Back in the days they used to hold them in nets, now they don't unless it's a special occasion (tournament/opener) that's my guess.
I've always done great on Friday mornings after the Thursday's stocking.

This is fishing experience at SARL:

Early morning I fish 3-6 inch leader and cast out no more than 10ft out. When sun comes up a bit and gets a little warmer, I still fish 3-6 inch leader but would fish it about 15ft out. Trout are a schooling and cruising fish. What they do is cruise in one direction and then they will turn around and cruise back. So if the person next to you get bit, the odds of you getting bit is better IMO. Tailwalkers in my experience tend to hit the color orange and pink more often than chartuese or any other color, that's just me though. Another tip I will give is use mealworms, I don't see many anglers using mealworms for trout fishing. I've had great success with mealworms when nothing else is working. I basically will thread the mealworm on a size 10 baitholder hook and flyline it out and let it sink for about 5-7 seconds (depends how deep the water is where you're fishing) then I will jig it in like a mini-jig doing about 3-5 bounces and then let it sink again and repeat. Most of the fish that I catch with this method will take the mealworm on the drop because it's like a natural sinking food for them.

For locations on where to fish:
I usually fish the docks, levitz corner, bubble hole or the sandy beach area. But it's fishing, so you really don't know where, when and what they'll bite on. Just bring a variety of bait. One more tip is if you don't get bit for like an 1 hr, I would suggest moving.

I'm no expert but that's what I have been noticing when fishing for trout and hope that helps.

Good luck and tight lines to all.

Nice good information
I will definitely give the Fly line meal worm a try! It doesn't get any better than feeling that fish strike your line

Marley
12-08-2015, 02:47 PM
Mealworms are deadly for trout. If you can get them to float (blown up like a 'crawler), they're extra deadly. I use a 1/32 oz. bullet sinker pegged with a size BB splitshot that gets the bait far enough out but doesn't bruise the air out of it when it hits the water. Takes a gentle cast to get the worm to float and then stay floating through the cast. My biggest on the grub so far is 11-6, came out of the skinny water in tight, simply exploded when I set the hook.

CityAngler
12-09-2015, 05:42 PM
I went there last Sunday and caught one trout in the smaller lake.

I tried hard too, pulled out all the stops. Very disappointing considering it cost $50.00 for my son and I.

Mr T-rex
12-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Mealworms are deadly for trout. If you can get them to float (blown up like a 'crawler), they're extra deadly. I use a 1/32 oz. bullet sinker pegged with a size BB splitshot that gets the bait far enough out but doesn't bruise the air out of it when it hits the water. Takes a gentle cast to get the worm to float and then stay floating through the cast. My biggest on the grub so far is 11-6, came out of the skinny water in tight, simply exploded when I set the hook.

I have to give this a try marley! i see you like to fish a little old school and my next outing i am buying a pack of those pesky grubs haha

Mr T-rex
12-10-2015, 11:32 AM
I went there last Sunday and caught one trout in the smaller lake.

I tried hard too, pulled out all the stops. Very disappointing considering it cost $50.00 for my son and I.

Sorry about that but hey it is called fishing!
i went with my dad last friday and smacked 10 with in 2 hours
Question which bait were you using ? how far were you casting ? how is your rod set up, such as line and rigs ??
all of that comes into play and remember trout are finicky about whats out there

Marley
12-10-2015, 04:10 PM
...how far were you casting ? how is your rod set up, such as line and rigs ?? ...

Two of the most important things to keep in mind, right there. These fish, especially right after a plant, will hug the shoreline in TIGHT. Many people simply throw over the fish. Do they all do that? Of course not. But the vast majority of them do.
And so many folks use line that you could anchor a rental boat with. 2-lb. test will keep you bent on most days. You need a smooooooth drag because the next bite could weigh 20 pounds and you'll want it to stay hooked, at least for the first 50-yard run.