PDA

View Full Version : Ralph B. Clarke & Cerritos Regional

paulito
11-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Hi Guys,

This is a combined report of outings to both lakes within the last two weeks of both lakes.
I haven't gone to Ralph b. Clarke park in about a decade, to fish. I went 10/30/15 at 7am to figure out the lake. I was using a Md Lt. Phenix Recon 2 rod with a Curado 200i (6.3:1). Noticeably, there were still plentiful underwater vegetation (I wish that first shallow lake with all the lilypads was deeper. Oh man how I would love a topwater frog bite off those pads!). I also noticed small sunfish/bass and numerous crawfish. I started out using a livetarget frog with no luck. Used a weightless fluke jr to try for better luck to no avail. Switched to the crawfish patter once I saw how many there were. Started out with a jackall covercraw 4", watermelon candy color, on a 5/0 screwlock hook. Switched to a z man turbo craw(has an orange belly to better match the hatch) with a 1/8oz tungsten weight pegged right atop the hook. hooked into a nice on punching through the vegetation. Lost it right after I hooked it because 1. I wasn't expecting the bite since I was talking to my brother. 2. I didnt expect to free the bass of the vegetation so easily, so I set the hook too hard. Was about to tell it was around 2lbs since it fully came out of the water. Had no other takers that day other than a large softshelled turtle that ate my craw right in front of me. I lost my tungsten weight and my hook cuz the turtle shred my 30lb braid with it's claws:Head Bang:. Saw a bass hit an insect midair as I was about to leave. I will be back with my flyrod.

Been going to Cerritos Regional lately around 5-8pm. Used a clarus medium 8'6" rod with a stradic 2500 and 20lb braid for flies and grubs. Used a phenix x-12 for the cranks, topwater, and texas rigs. No topwater takers. Dont know where all the big ones have gone. Hope they are just shy and I pray that poachers did not take them :(. I havent seen minnows in the lakes for a long time, are they still around? I know there are mosquito fish. Saw bait busting the schools of mosquito fish, so I know there are bass in there. Caught a 24in bass using a 3in grub. Nothing big worked. Also the vegetation is very close to shore, and nothing beyond it. No pictures sorry. I will keep in mind to take pictures next time for validation.

Tight lines.

etucker1959
11-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Hi Guys,

This is a combined report of outings to both lakes within the last two weeks of both lakes.
I haven't gone to Ralph b. Clarke park in about a decade, to fish. I went 10/30/15 at 7am to figure out the lake. I was using a Md Lt. Phenix Recon 2 rod with a Curado 200i (6.3:1). Noticeably, there were still plentiful underwater vegetation (I wish that first shallow lake with all the lilypads was deeper. Oh man how I would love a topwater frog bite off those pads!). I also noticed small sunfish/bass and numerous crawfish. I started out using a livetarget frog with no luck. Used a weightless fluke jr to try for better luck to no avail. Switched to the crawfish patter once I saw how many there were. Started out with a jackall covercraw 4", watermelon candy color, on a 5/0 screwlock hook. Switched to a z man turbo craw(has an orange belly to better match the hatch) with a 1/8oz tungsten weight pegged right atop the hook. hooked into a nice on punching through the vegetation. Lost it right after I hooked it because 1. I wasn't expecting the bite since I was talking to my brother. 2. I didnt expect to free the bass of the vegetation so easily, so I set the hook too hard. Was about to tell it was around 2lbs since it fully came out of the water. Had no other takers that day other than a large softshelled turtle that ate my craw right in front of me. I lost my tungsten weight and my hook cuz the turtle shred my 30lb braid with it's claws:Head Bang:. Saw a bass hit an insect midair as I was about to leave. I will be back with my flyrod.

Been going to Cerritos Regional lately around 5-8pm. Used a clarus medium 8'6" rod with a stradic 2500 and 20lb braid for flies and grubs. Used a phenix x-12 for the cranks, topwater, and texas rigs. No topwater takers. Dont know where all the big ones have gone. Hope they are just shy and I pray that poachers did not take them :(. I havent seen minnows in the lakes for a long time, are they still around? I know there are mosquito fish. Saw bait busting the schools of mosquito fish, so I know there are bass in there. Caught a 24in bass using a 3in grub. Nothing big worked. Also the vegetation is very close to shore, and nothing beyond it. No pictures sorry. I will keep in mind to take pictures next time for validation.

Tight lines.
The shallow area with the lilypads is called the catch and release area. Surprisingly there is a lot of bass caught year round in there. In the spawning season, the majority of the bass are caught from there.

Albert B
11-03-2015, 04:55 PM
I went to Ralph B on sunday and caught a 2 pounder on a weigtless texas rigged roboworm in the lilypads. Another guy was fishing the same rig and caught a five pounder. There are a ton of fish in there, but the water is gin clear and they get spooked easily.

paulito
11-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I went to Ralph B on sunday and caught a 2 pounder on a weigtless texas rigged roboworm in the lilypads. Another guy was fishing the same rig and caught a five pounder. There are a ton of fish in there, but the water is gin clear and they get spooked easily.

Oh Wow! That's great news! I will spend more time figuring out that lake then! I just dismissed it because it was so shallow.

TUNAVIC
11-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Cool report,nice to hear some info on local f/w lakes,thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

Albert B
11-04-2015, 06:01 PM
Yeah as of right now I would suggest only fishing the lily pad area and maybe the deep area by the concrete part near the parking lot. Dropshotting (deep part only) and weightless roboworms are definitely your best bet.