PDA

View Full Version : Does fish bite lures at night?

inthezone
10-30-2015, 03:27 PM
I am curious if anyone have any luck using lures at night in the bay or surfs

jsl
10-31-2015, 11:55 AM
I am curious if anyone have any luck using lures at night in the bay or surfs

Yeah. Contrary to popular belief, fish can see at night.

stoned-trout
11-12-2015, 10:10 AM
I have a few black lures for night fishing....they work better for me

Nuoc Mam
11-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Try using a LC or drop shot fluke during a grunion run at night. That'll answer your question haha :0)

twin22s
11-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Fish the full moon with dark lures, the more light you have the more color you will want, black and purple, black and orange etc.
Rattling baits and baits that send out vibrations work best. If there are a lot of light around where you are fishing you can use more subtle baits.

I pulled these off the jetty in the moonlight earlier this year.
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag192/brian_wilson4/9121CFB3-2098-4CFF-BC57-CA0CBDAA9D6D_zpskozgndcz.jpg (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/brian_wilson4/media/9121CFB3-2098-4CFF-BC57-CA0CBDAA9D6D_zpskozgndcz.jpg.html)

inthezone
11-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Fish the full moon with dark lures, the more light you have the more color you will want, black and purple, black and orange etc.
Rattling baits and baits that send out vibrations work best. If there are a lot of light around where you are fishing you can use more subtle baits.

I pulled these off the jetty in the moonlight earlier this year.
http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag192/brian_wilson4/9121CFB3-2098-4CFF-BC57-CA0CBDAA9D6D_zpskozgndcz.jpg (http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/brian_wilson4/media/9121CFB3-2098-4CFF-BC57-CA0CBDAA9D6D_zpskozgndcz.jpg.html)

Wow nice catch...how far did you go on the jetty? Did u go to the very end?

twin22s
11-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Dana point harbor in orange county, Long jetty, inside. Not sure specifically where these 2 came from but I fish everywhere from just before halfway to the end. most nights I don't go to the end, if they are there and biting its not necessary. its getting to cold to go out there at night now though. might still be a decent bite but too chilly for me. I'll look at the lunar charts but it would have to be ideal conditions for me to fish that bite in Nov. Best bet would be a place you have caught SBB, or calico in the past that has rocks or other good structure and lights nearby, fishing under direct light doesn't seem to be as effective for me. The lights from the Island are 100yards or more across the channel from where I catch these fish.

inthezone
11-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Dana point harbor in orange county, Long jetty, inside. Not sure specifically where these 2 came from but I fish everywhere from just before halfway to the end. most nights I don't go to the end, if they are there and biting its not necessary. its getting to cold to go out there at night now though. might still be a decent bite but too chilly for me. I'll look at the lunar charts but it would have to be ideal conditions for me to fish that bite in Nov. Best bet would be a place you have caught SBB, or calico in the past that has rocks or other good structure and lights nearby, fishing under direct light doesn't seem to be as effective for me. The lights from the Island are 100yards or more across the channel from where I catch these fish.

Thanks for the info...when you fish on the jetty at night do you recommend using lures or bait and wait?

BALLERONBUDGET
11-13-2015, 01:06 PM
pack a bullet proof vest, some heat and a can of whoop *** in case someone wanna get ignorant and try rob u!!!!! read hold up thread...

twin22s
11-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the info...when you fish on the jetty at night do you recommend using lures or bait and wait?

I only fish lures at night, bait seems to catch too many sharks, rays and eels, even lobster and crab will pick your bait right of the hook. lures seem to be far more productive for me.

To BALLER's point,
I don't know about other harbors but I have never had any trouble with thugs or bums at Dana at night.