PDA

View Full Version : Davy Locker Groupon Deal: Thoughts?

carpanglerdude
10-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Hi folks,

Spotted a deal on groupon for Davy Locker out of Newport, 3/4 day for $35. Any thoughts on this? Anyone ever taken one of these? PM is fine. Thanks.

troutdog
10-26-2015, 08:59 PM
Haven't taken that ride personally, but most I know who have mentioned the larger crowds (to be expected with the discount offered I guess). So this may not be the ideal calico or yellowtail trip, but perhaps more like sculpin or sandbass run. Great boats out of Davey's Locker, I guess it depends what kind of experience you are looking for and of course your budget. If it means Groupon or no trip, then screw it I'm fishing! :LOL:

Just my 2 cents about Groupon....there are some nice deals to be had through this service based on my experience, but I have also learned that many of the offers can be filed under life's category of "you get what you pay for". For example the room I had once stayed in that had nothing but a couple of throw rugs on the concrete floor and an unfinished plywood board nailed to the wall holding up the flat screen is kinda what I mean....nice room I guess, but definitely still in the ongoing "improvement phase" of construction! lol

PM sent.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

TD

jaggerbub
10-26-2015, 09:57 PM
Hard to use at Davies when the bite is good. They will say that they are sold out on trips for the next few weeks if you are using groupon. They only take so many on each trip. Most people I know have gotten refunds from Groupon for this reason.

flyhigh123
10-26-2015, 11:17 PM
they've been offering this for a few years now... its always a packed boat so get to know your neighbors well... lol... it's hit or miss...

Nuoc Mam
10-27-2015, 06:48 AM
If bite is hot, then your groupon won't do any good because like others said, the landing will say they are full eventhough they aren't. There was also a time when they limited the day you can use it, think it was Tuesday but that always change so best to call. It's a nice deal but boat usually gets overpacked with a lot of novice anglers that don't understand what over/under is and also get a lot more of those that just soak their line ninety degrees from where they're standing haha.

Good luck if you head out.

carpanglerdude
10-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback. Got the price dropped to $27 after a 20% deal but they are supposedly full for the next few weekends after I mentioned Groupon :) We will see what happens

Nuoc Mam
10-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the feedback. Got the price dropped to $27 after a 20% deal but they are supposedly full for the next few weekends after I mentioned Groupon :) We will see what happens

Brother is actually fishing the freelance as we speak on a groupon deal. Also, they charged him for fuel surcharged as well. Not sure if they charge everyone or maybe just those who use the groupon. Because last time when he went without groupon, there was no fuel surcharge.

etucker1959
10-27-2015, 10:08 AM
FYI guy's, the other boat that takes Groupon is the Southern Cal. (half-day) I can tell you from first hand experience this year, (used it 10 times) there is no draw backs but the crowd!!!!! They take it any time the boat runs, the boat is run by Captain Mitch & Ryan arguably two of the best. Plus the results speak for them selves, I personally caught over 20 Yellowtail this year on that boat. (all 20-30 pound fish) Paying $27 to catch those fish is a dream come true!!!!!

jaggerbub
10-27-2015, 05:53 PM
Etucker, I haven't been able to find groupon for the SoCal the last few times I went on that boat. However, I did find them on amazon local!!! $22 check it out. And yup, they take the discount tickets anytime... Best half day in my opinion!

etucker1959
10-27-2015, 06:27 PM
Etucker, I haven't been able to find groupon for the SoCal the last few times I went on that boat. However, I did find them on amazon local!!! $22 check it out. And yup, they take the discount tickets anytime... Best half day in my opinion!
For what ever reason, they suspended selling Groupon and Amazon tickets for the Southern Cal for a few weeks. Groupon just put them back up for sale and I'm glad to hear Amazon local now has them back too. Thanks for the heads up, that's what FNN is all about!!!! It is an amazing little boat!!! (great cook too) lol

carpanglerdude
10-27-2015, 07:42 PM
For what ever reason, they suspended selling Groupon and Amazon tickets for the Southern Cal for a few weeks. Groupon just put them back up for sale and I'm glad to hear Amazon local now has them back too. Thanks for the heads up, that's what FNN is all about!!!! It is an amazing little boat!!! (great cook too) lol

Hey Etucker, could you clear out your inbox? Had a PM to send

etucker1959
10-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Hey Etucker, could you clear out your inbox? Had a PM to send

Sorry!!! All fixed!!!! lol

SDYC
10-28-2015, 05:09 PM
https://www.groupon.com/deals/sd-yachting-club

This is the alternative for those that can afford it. Six Pack fishing offered by several other boats can also be found on groupon if you look.

carpanglerdude
11-24-2015, 08:52 AM
Guys, thank you for all for the tips. I ended up canceling the Groupon for Davy's Locker (they make it much too difficult to schedule, only a few available days, not disclosed when you purchase it). Instead, I bought the Pierpoint one.

Initially, our first trip was canceled when the boat had prop problems-sucks! Made the drive down to Long Beach for nothing.
However, we didn't give up and went out again the next weekend. Had a blast! The crew was very helpful, it wasn't too crowded, and everyone caught fish. We ended up with a ton of whitefish, macks, and a chunky rockfish. Saw a bunch of sheepshead get caught too. Thanks again!

angler_andy
11-27-2015, 07:51 PM
I used the Groupon with Davy's Locker on a 3/4 day trip. When I booked the trip they said there would be a $12.50 surcharge for fuel. The boat was the Freelance. When I arrived that morning for the trip they said the trip was now full day and they charged me $30.00 more. We fished Catalina. The parking was a little hard to find if you haven't been there before. It cost $15 for the day. The trip wasn't bad. The fish count wasn't that great for the boat. Most folks caught a couple of fish. We didn't catch much of anything until the late afternoon. The crew was pleasant but not overly helpful. I have mixed feeling about using then again. I'm new at this so it's hard to compare but I will try some other boats in San Pedro and Long Beach to see how they compare.