PDA

View Full Version : Halibut on surfs

inthezone
10-22-2015, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know if halibut bite all year long and what season do they bite most...I've been getting skunk left and right and also have not been really seeing anyone catch any at all either....it's been tough out there for me..

Nuoc Mam
10-23-2015, 06:58 AM
Halibuts do bite year long. Season that I notice that have bigger models and more consistent catches are during the summer months with the grunion runs. Everyone will get their fair share of skunk outings. Just keep at it. What kind of set-up are you fishing? Might want to change it up if what you're currently using isn't working. Try the LC, kastmaster, krocodile, and drop shot. With halibut fishing you have to work the area and seek them. Hope that helps.

inthezone
10-23-2015, 09:52 AM
Halibuts do bite year long. Season that I notice that have bigger models and more consistent catches are during the summer months with the grunion runs. Everyone will get their fair share of skunk outings. Just keep at it. What kind of set-up are you fishing? Might want to change it up if what you're currently using isn't working. Try the LC, kastmaster, krocodile, and drop shot. With halibut fishing you have to work the area and seek them. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info fish sauce...I use mainly lc on 12 lb test on an 8 ft rod. ..I also have tried crocks and kastmaster with no luck but just bonito...lol maybe my retrieve sucks but I try to do a slow and steady retrieve...I pretty much just started surf fishing this year and have lost 6 lc this year to poseidon and yet still no legal =/

DotA
10-23-2015, 02:37 PM
Fish sauce, sup dude... Let's fish guasti soon... So u still sporting the Stella and gloomis?

Nuoc Mam
10-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the info fish sauce...I use mainly lc on 12 lb test on an 8 ft rod. ..I also have tried crocks and kastmaster with no luck but just bonito...lol maybe my retrieve sucks but I try to do a slow and steady retrieve...I pretty much just started surf fishing this year and have lost 6 lc this year to poseidon and yet still no legal =/

Ouch 6 LC lost already. I fish the LC tied straight to 35lb braid. Also another key tip to help with getting on some hali's are structures. If you learn to read the surf you can have great success. Honestly anyone can walk out to the sand, trek down the beach, cast out and catch fish but IMO those who can read the surf for structures are the master of finding fish and are more likely to get bit. I notice that every beach fishes a little different from one another. Example: I find that a certain beach I fish is great for halibut during low to mid-low tide while others are better during a high-tide. You can do some searching on the site and can pretty much figure out which areas are consistently getting hali's. Might want to give those areas a try. Good luck to you out there and main thing, have fun and be safe.

Nuoc Mam
10-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Fish sauce, sup dude... Let's fish guasti soon... So u still sporting the Stella and gloomis?

Think you got the wrong fish sauce buddy lol But I'm always happy to meet new people though.

murrieta angler
10-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Do you want legals or do you just want the excitement of the pull?!
Try beach North of 72nd St. in Long Beach....dropshot.
Robert
<><

inthezone
10-28-2015, 09:35 PM
Robert
<><

Thanks for the info Robert....I would love to get a legal but right now i am desperate and pretty much want any bites lol. I am still trying to get my first legal ever...72nd was where I started surf fishing...I found this spot from doing research online and they said this spot was a good spot for beginners...I notice 72nd does not have holes or they do but it's like a trough? From what I saw, it was a flat beach with long flat a dip? I caught over 20 fish on a lc once in July and thought I was a pro but I guess I was wrong lolol...ever since then I haven't been really catching anything there and got skunk my last three times there.

inthezone
10-29-2015, 09:59 PM
Robert
<><

Do you know if there are bass around 72nd in the surfs? The fish I caught from the surf in that area are mostly small halibut and bonito...one time i caught a croaker and a corbina but that only happened once...I haven't hook up a bass in that area yet. I always see mullet jumping but they never bite lol

murrieta angler
10-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Do you know if there are bass around 72nd in the surfs? The fish I caught from the surf in that area are mostly small halibut and bonito...one time i caught a croaker and a corbina but that only happened once...I haven't hook up a bass in that area yet. I always see mullet jumping but they never bite lol

Only by the jetty.
Switch over to a 4" Big Hammer on a 1/4 oz lead head.
Good Luck,
Robert
<><