PDA

View Full Version : Overnight on the Freedom PB Dodo

Edgar
10-17-2015, 05:22 PM
Hey guys , got an invite from my friend Jerry to fish the freedom out of 22nd st. sport fishing, limited load overnighter, Jerry and his friend Jonathan had killed it the week before on the larger grade tuna . I decided to join them on the hunt ... During the week the plans changed because of the darn seiners , all the tuna had been netted at the bank :EyePop:. SOOOO the plans changed and it turned into a wild goose chase paddy hoping and searching for the right one. On the first stop it was wide open skippies with a few yellowfin mixed in , there were also a few small dodo's caught too. At that time i thought in my head ohh man would i love a big dodo , i've always wanted to catch a nice bull . Before friday i had only caught dorado in the mediterranean, and they were small fish, only in the 5-6lb range. On our third or fourth stop , my little chovie got nailed a few seconds after it hit the water, i set the hook the fish exposes itself , nice bull ! I'll let my little video do the rest of the talking :Big Grin: !
Anyway , this is what it is all about ! FRIENDS,FAMILY, And last but not least fishing! I want to thank Jerry again for inviting me to tag along and catch a fish i had always wanted to get a chance at! This trip turned out to be a long boat ride , but ... fishing is fishing , our group went home with a smile :Cool:, fish or no fish. Sometimes they're just not biting .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Qr_g9kZEE&feature=youtu.be
Tight lines,
Edgar
Ps. This was jackpot fish ! approx 20lbs.

jaggerbub
10-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Nice bro! On a Lexa too.

murrieta angler
10-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Nice DoDo Edgar..:Wink:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

FYI....Dorado are full grown in just 2 years. The quickest of any species of fish...:Big Grin:

jaggerbub
10-17-2015, 05:57 PM
Btw, what size hooks did you use for the chovies? Seems like the small bait has been producing. My first yft this season was caught on a chovie. I've been trying different hooks to see which ones work better. I just picked up a pack of Owner size6 light wire circle hooks to try out this weekend. I'm so used to the 1/0 2/0 3/0 4/0 for the dines! I always hated using chovies but it's the hot ticket as of late.

anchor3n1
10-17-2015, 06:14 PM
Hi Edgar:

Nicely written report but fantastic video (great editing too). Gotta love that fight and the color of Mr. Bull Dodo too. Your a great all around fisherman my friend. Keep er going!!!

Take care,

Nick

bones
10-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Nice Dodo Lil Bro....LOL

I could swear I could hear you screaming like a little girl behind that music:ROFL:

On the lefty Lexa too....Making me proud of ya even if you were a bait B I T C H......::ROFL:

All kidding aside good job out there Edgar...Poseidon rewarded you to ease your pain from your last adventure!

TUNAVIC
10-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Great video,very exciting,noticed a couple of interesting things,seemed like you were thumbing the heck outa that spool,never saw any dodos jumping,and seemed like you backed up to the bait tank for the gaffing,believe me I'm not hating just thought those points were interesting,that was a buetiful fish and a great battle in that combat fishing style,WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

DockRat
10-17-2015, 09:56 PM
X2 Vic. Cool video. Thnx.
DR

vdisney
10-18-2015, 07:32 AM
Frick'n awesome Edgar, glad ya stuck one. We'll hook up soon..............Verne

Edgar
10-18-2015, 08:17 AM
Nice DoDo Edgar..:Wink:
Thanks for sharing,
Robert
<><

FYI....Dorado are full grown in just 2 years. The quickest of any species of fish...:Big Grin:

Thanx Robert ! Thanx for the cool info as well!

Edgar
10-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Btw, what size hooks did you use for the chovies? Seems like the small bait has been producing. My first yft this season was caught on a chovie. I've been trying different hooks to see which ones work better. I just picked up a pack of Owner size6 light wire circle hooks to try out this weekend. I'm so used to the 1/0 2/0 3/0 4/0 for the dines! I always hated using chovies but it's the hot ticket as of late.

Thanx a lot bud! I was using owner size 4 flyline hooks with a 1/8-1/4 slider to get it away from the boat lol .

Edgar
10-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Hi Edgar:

Nicely written report but fantastic video (great editing too). Gotta love that fight and the color of Mr. Bull Dodo too. Your a great all around fisherman my friend. Keep er going!!!

Take care,

Nick

Thanx a lot my friend ! Glad u enjoyed it !

Edgar
10-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Nice Dodo Lil Bro....LOL

I could swear I could hear you screaming like a little girl behind that music:ROFL:

On the lefty Lexa too....Making me proud of ya even if you were a bait B I T C H......::ROFL:

All kidding aside good job out there Edgar...Poseidon rewarded you to ease your pain from your last adventure!

You know me :LOL: ! Thanx a lot big bro !
Btw- Im loving the left hand retrieve!

Edgar
10-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Great video,very exciting,noticed a couple of interesting things,seemed like you were thumbing the heck outa that spool,never saw any dodos jumping,and seemed like you backed up to the bait tank for the gaffing,believe me I'm not hating just thought those points were interesting,that was a buetiful fish and a great battle in that combat fishing style,WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

Hey there Mr Tuna Vic, the fish only leaped once right after it knew it was hooked , it was a little too far away to get a good view on it , but if you look closely you'll notice a splash in the distance after i hook up . About the thumbing thing, I have a pretty educated right thumb which is always on the spool, not for drag pressure though , i use braid and can almost sense what my fish wants to do when i have contact with it. I backed up to the tank for the gaff because i had about 10lbs of kelp coming with my fish also lol, so i had to guide it to the gaff quick, backing up was my only way to get the right angle. I try not to mess around when i have a decent fish on the end of my line !
Tight lines,
Edgar

Edgar
10-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Frick'n awesome Edgar, glad ya stuck one. We'll hook up soon..............Verne

Thanx a lot Verne ! I am patiently waiting :Cool:!

WAHBAM
10-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Great video! What lb line do you have on? I have a Lexa 300 HSP with a Phenix PSW867ML spooled with 30 lb power pro which I love.

Edgar
10-20-2015, 09:29 PM
Great video! What lb line do you have on? I have a Lexa 300 HSP with a Phenix PSW867ML spooled with 30 lb power pro which I love.

Thank you, I have mine spooled with 40b braid with a slight mono backing , it helps for THE SLIP but the most important thing is it doesn't DIG IN!