PDA

View Full Version : Jug Float Fishing For Cats at DVL

Stinkbait
10-07-2015, 09:58 PM
Is trot line or jug float fishing at Diamond Valley legal?

Saw a stationary jug in current today at the lake. Upon getting closer there was a nylon line with three hooks baited with bright pink gizzards or liver, dunno. The float setup used a trailer hitch ball as a weight. Saw a few of these today. Their where no labels with ID on them. They were not being closely attended.
Have only seen this in the southern US on TV.

Bass fishing in the afternoon was slow. Water dropped about 5 degrees in a week to about 73. Water is clear in most parts of the lake with visibility about 15 feet or more. Heard the morning was better. Fished the DS, creature, square bill and small swimmy. Bait loaded up in the coves.
The fish I saw on the meter were in about 25 to 30 feet off cuts within coves or just hanging out in the middle of the cove. Did not see many fish on points. Saw some large free swimmers off grass lines and vertical rock.

HuskerRod
10-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Jug lines/trot lines..that brings back memories from my days growing up in Nebraska. Never seen that done out here. Im gonna go out on a limb and say that is as illegal as heck around here. Seems like a risky proposition for any poacher using that technique. Your leaving the evidence floating for everyone to see and then you have to come back to the crime scene to gather up your "booty". I would think even a rookie DFG agent could make a quick bust coming across this sort of enterprise and write a nice hefty ticket.

DarkShadow
10-08-2015, 09:03 AM
Skyler!

They found your jugs, brah.

goodguy
10-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Nope Trot line or jug fishing is not legal in CA. it's the "closely attended" wording that would elimintate those methods..

ARTICLE 1. FISHING METHODS
AND GEAR RESTRICTIONS
2.00. FISHING METHODS--GENERAL.
(a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be
taken only by angling with one closely attended rod
and line or one hand line with not more than three
hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure
may have three hooks attached) attached thereto.
Anglers in possession of a valid two-rod stamp and
anglers under 16 years of age may use up to two
rods in inland waters which regulations provide for
the taking of fish by angling, except those waters
in which only artificial lures or barbless hooks may
be used. See District Trout, Salmon and Special
regulations for exceptions.

Stinkbait
10-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Here is the evidence.

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b624/Gotcrabs2/18bbd7728be523ac00860d90362e29b8_zpsod399l4n.jpg

DarkShadow
10-08-2015, 11:35 AM
A trailer ball hitch?

http://reactiongifs.me/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

Stinkbait
10-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Funny, I was like there is wind blowing into this cove, how in the heck is that jug not moving?
I'll take make shift fishing weights for $1000 Alex.

Stinkbait
10-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Very very optimistic with the light gauge para cord ;)

....and come on guy, learn to tie a saltwater dropper loop!

HuskerRod
10-08-2015, 01:23 PM
What the heck is the bait on there? Must have just been dropped in as the hitch has no sign of rust and the bait looks full and fresh. Somebody went all out with that setup...for nothing dammit.

"Let see what should I use for a weight".....long pause as the guy rummages though his shelves in the garage....."ahh, A trailer hitch. And heck maybe Ill get lucky and a carp will suck the chrome off the hitch".

BillyBass
10-08-2015, 02:07 PM
$2.00 for the hitch!

DarkShadow
10-08-2015, 03:51 PM
It's ok!

I've learned that as long as you catch and release (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?84851-Little-Bit-of-Ninja-Fishing-W-pics&p=771251#post771251), you're not poaching!

Stinkbait
10-08-2015, 05:01 PM
^^^Thought was settled in the other thread. ;)
Anyway it has to be a boat rental person, they were too far from shore to be someone sneaking in at night.
Thought i saw a single guy in a pontoon checking another set 200 yards away in the same cove.

Stinkbait
10-08-2015, 05:02 PM
Kwin was informed. Maybe he'll chime in.

HuskerRod
10-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Im still trying to figure out what t hat bait was on those hooks. Red..............raw meat looking stuff?

kwin
10-09-2015, 12:37 PM
Totally illegal. As an aside, catfish do like to eat hitch (Lavina exilicauda).........they almost got it.

DEVOREFLYER
10-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Im still trying to figure out what t hat bait was on those hooks. Red..............raw meat looking stuff?

Beef Melt (Pancreas) used all over the south for Catfish on trot lines and jug fishing.
Beef melt is beef pancreas. The most common use for beef melt is catfish food. Beef melt is used on catfish farms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pv4jUZd1kI

shinbob
10-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Totally illegal. As an aside, catfish do like to eat hitch (Lavina exilicauda).........they almost got it.

LOL! Who says biologists don't have a sense of humor?

DarkShadow
10-09-2015, 02:22 PM

Looks like Korean BBQ to me.

Throw that stuff on a grill and order a Hite and it's a good times for all.

GhettoBasster
10-09-2015, 04:49 PM

He's here all week folks! Lol!

Stinkbait
10-09-2015, 08:43 PM

It was the day of the night you went night shock fishing. Heard from Tammy.
Two were set in the north side bathroom cove.

Is it 100% illegal, or if they were closely attended then it would be legal?

kwin
10-12-2015, 09:12 AM
It was the day of the night you went night shock fishing. Heard from Tammy.
Two were set in the north side bathroom cove.

Is it 100% illegal, or if they were closely attended then it would be legal?

1.05. ANGLING.
To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in such manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its mouth

(a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto.

Leaving a line attached to a floating object not attached to a closely attended rod/reel or held in the hand is 100% illegal. If they held onto that contraption or cast it out they would be good to go based on 1.05 and 2.00 in the regulations.

HuskerRod
10-12-2015, 12:24 PM
On a side note, that is about the best engineered jug float line Ive ever dun come across. In Nebraska We'd use a bleach bottle for the jug, some old line with rusty hook,s and some earthworms for bait attached to some heavy objects we found in our out buildings for the weight. That guy has darn near gourmet meats and a $29.99 brand new looking trailer hitch for a weight. I'd hate to see what this guy is using for regular legal fishing gear. Gold plated reels............custom designed titanium spinnerbaits from France.............hand carved crankbaits from Switzerland?????????????

Stinkbait
10-12-2015, 03:04 PM
1.05. ANGLING.
To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with the line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended in such manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its mouth

(a) Except as otherwise authorized, all fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached thereto.

Leaving a line attached to a floating object not attached to a closely attended rod/reel or held in the hand is 100% illegal. If they held onto that contraption or cast it out they would be good to go based on 1.05 and 2.00 in the regulations.

Thanks for that. Could be helping you eradicate the flathead problem though ;)

JigStop
10-12-2015, 03:45 PM
You can catch nice flathead and blues with palm sized bluegil,l lip hooked. I use the "bleach jug method". 3ft of 30lb. test 3/4oz sliding sinker attached to a in-line barrel swivel then 12" of a 15lb. mono.

kwin
10-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Thanks for that. Could be helping you eradicate the flathead problem though ;)

I removed 3500 lbs. and didn't make a dent. Anglers won't contribute whatsoever as access isn't available when they are active. They just sit in a dark place and chill out when the sun is up.

GdHkSet1
10-12-2015, 04:07 PM
On a side note, that is about the best engineered jug float line Ive ever dun come across. In Nebraska We'd use a bleach bottle for the jug, some old line with rusty hook,s and some earthworms for bait attached to some heavy objects we found in our out buildings for the weight. That guy has darn near gourmet meats and a $29.99 brand new looking trailer hitch for a weight. I'd hate to see what this guy is using for regular legal fishing gear. Gold plated reels............custom designed titanium spinnerbaits from France.............hand carved crankbaits from Switzerland?????????????

At least he pays attention to details to include the lock washer and nut

HuskerRod
10-12-2015, 04:16 PM
I removed 3500 lbs. and didn't make a dent. Anglers won't contribute whatsoever as access isn't available when they are active. They just sit in a dark place and chill out when the sun is up.

Did you get any real monsters, Kwin? And what the heck do you do with them or transport them to when you remove them?

kwin
10-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Did you get any real monsters, Kwin? And what the heck do you do with them or transport them to when you remove them?

They ranged from 55-880 mm with 22 lb the biggest Most went to a landfill.

DarkShadow
10-13-2015, 04:18 PM
And I take it they came in when the lake got filled with Colorado river water?

kwin
10-13-2015, 05:21 PM
And I take it they came in when the lake got filled with Colorado river water?

....or a bucket. Perris has them too, doesn't receive CRA water so I can't explain that one.

HuskerRod
10-14-2015, 09:29 AM
I had no idea their were that many in there. Ive caught my share of channel cats from DVL and watched the channels packed up in full spawning mode in the spring. But not seen or caught a flathead.........heard of a few. I even caught a flathead this spring from Perris. flatheads must really lay low by day and I know they prefer a live snack i.e. bluegill over catfish baits i.e. liver, anchovies, stink baits. Next your gonna tell me their is a healthy population of holdover trout in there.

HuskerRod
10-14-2015, 08:58 PM
Hey Kwin......................how deep is the thermocline these days at DVL??? Strange question..I know.

kwin
10-19-2015, 10:40 AM
the last profile I have from May 11 showed 2 thermoclines, one at 21' with good DO @10 changing to 8 and temp change from 66 to 62 and the other was at 45' with DO that went from 8 to 4 and temp change from 62 to 59. Talking with one of the MWD divers at a conference last week indicated it was holding steady at like 50' with warm water 75-77 on top and cool 58-59 degree water with total anoxia below that.

HuskerRod
10-19-2015, 12:46 PM
the last profile I have from May 11 showed 2 thermoclines, one at 21' with good DO @10 changing to 8 and temp change from 66 to 62 and the other was at 45' with DO that went from 8 to 4 and temp change from 62 to 59. Talking with one of the MWD divers at a conference last week indicated it was holding steady at like 50' with warm water 75-77 on top and cool 58-59 degree water with total anoxia below that.

Thanks, Kwin. I had to read that a couple times, but I got it...good info