PDA

View Full Version : WON Big Bear TroutfesT 2015

iPhish
10-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Its the last day of the TroutfesT, just waiting around till Awards Ceremony and Boat Giveaway at 3:30pm. It's been pouring rain all morning and afternoon. Sun has shown itself a few times but still very cloudy. This year is going to be very interesting.

During Friday prefish caught nothing but 10.5" to 12" dinks. The same continued on Saturday. We got our limits easily but couldn't get anything of substantial size. Dinks were half pounders pretty much. It appears the big fish for the tourney weighed in at 2.3 pounds so far. Everything we caught was on the troll using Needlefish size 1 in watermelon, chicken wing, red dot frog, silver shad, red dot chartreuse. Using a half pinched night crawler was deadly!!! Limits of dinks caught quickly. :). Saturday ended great with meeting the family that came up during the day to support me and my niece Erica who's fishing the tourney with me. We had a nice quick boat ride around the lake before it became off limits time for those fishing the tourney.

Sunday completely rained out very windy wet and cold. Barometeic pressure falling rapidly. Catching anything but a cold and runny nose was very difficult. But we still landed 3 more dinks before 10am and then called it quits on the water.

More to come......

billy b
10-04-2015, 04:26 PM
We used to fish there all the time ... still have a cabin ... always used the fluorescent red in the spring ... size 1's versus 2 ... always use the metallic perch and #1 rainbow trout. Peestick made me 1 or 2 metallic perch patterns and we hammered them ... the marina wanted to do business with him after that.

Thanks for the reprt

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
10-05-2015, 09:55 AM
any results of the tournament?

JAG107
10-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Hey thanks for the tourney report! I gave up fishing that tourney a couple years ago, it was just too much effort for all the dinks. The last real nice pink meat holdovers I caught there was 2 years ago, and the years before that was much better. I think it has a lot to do with the triploids they're stocking, they just don't last like the old breeders.
Glad you were catching some feesh! Better to be fishing the rain than in santa ana winds and high barometric pressure keeping the fish in lockjaw mode.