PDA

View Full Version : Flukin' fish

Stumpknocker
09-30-2015, 01:22 PM
First time back at Castaic in a month...headed up the ski arm first thing in the morning hoping for boils, and saw some birds working right away just past C point. There were a few boils underneath as well...pulled up along with about four other boats who stopped at the same time and started throwing everything I had tied on...tried a spook and a spoon...no hits...threw a fluke out and got slammed immediately. Nice fight, ended up with about a four pounder.http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/fluker.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/fluker.jpg.html)
Nice fat fish, fought really hard on 6 lb. line. Turned out to be a gravid female with a load of eggs almost ready to go.
That action died quickly...looked around for a while in the ski arm, found some very brief boils in the fishing arm...so brief the birds had trouble getting there in time for a shad or two...couldn't get them to hit anything from bottom to top, but I didn't bring bait this time. Nothing on the u-rig either, but it's nice to get one fish right away for fish tacos aplenty.

shinbob
09-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Nice to see a report from Castaic finally! Were the shad schooling up near the surface?

Flukes rock. I have a tackle box filled with all kinds of crap, but really I could fish all year with just white ice flukes and margarita mutilator roboworms.

Stumpknocker
09-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Nice to see a report from Castaic finally! Were the shad schooling up near the surface?

Flukes rock. I have a tackle box filled with all kinds of crap, but really I could fish all year with just white ice flukes and margarita mutilator roboworms.

Other than the shad the stripers were occasionally boiling on, I didn't see much up top...nothing flipping or rippling, but I didn't get very near many shorelines or coves either...on the meter the shad looked schooled up at various depths.
Stripers do love the ice fluke...I also carry around tons of old crap, both in freshwater and salt...every once in a while I drag out something really old and try it...sometimes it works great...lots of fun when that happens...other times, it's either just an exercise program carrying it around or punishment for buying all that stuff.:LOL: