PDA

View Full Version : Big bear

jgant1953
09-17-2015, 01:41 PM
What happened at big bear that has made the trout fishing so crappy?

Ifishtoolittle
09-17-2015, 02:22 PM
It's the carps. The damn carps are killing everything. Blame it on the carps. The ultimate scapegoat!

GhettoBasster
09-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Snakeheads!! It's the snakeheads!!!

seal
09-17-2015, 02:49 PM
Low water levels, higher water temperature. Fishing will pick up or currently is.

Oh and the damn carp, kill um all and free fertilizer.

vonfranko
09-17-2015, 03:33 PM
Low water levels, higher water temperature.

I think mostly that. I've been waiting for the weather to cool down before I start making trips up there again for trout.

Doghunter
09-17-2015, 05:52 PM
The state is stocking a bunch of small trout, I don't think I've caught a trout this year in Big Bear that was anywhere near a pound. I've trolled the crap out of the lake and only seem to hook into the little dinks, nothing like in past years.

Fresh H2O Bill
09-23-2015, 08:01 AM
I was up at the house this past weekend and fished the lake on Saturday from 6:00 am-11:00 am. We ran the boat all over the place chasing bass. Nothing, just a couple of taps. Talked to a couple of guys; one had caught a small bass early on a top water near the Observatory, and the other had caught a 12" trout early working a fly near the buoy line at the dam. All others said they had not caught a thing. The lake has been extremely tough this year, both winter and summer.

They have slowly been planting 6"-12" trout that were purchased earlier this spring, that's probably why Doghunter and others have been catching the smaller units. I talked to Steve over at BB Sporting Goods and he said the oxygen levels are rising from the dam over to about the observatory but are still low from that point to the east end of the lake. The water temp is starting to drop as well, been consistently cooler at night the past couple of weeks. Hopefully we'll get the rain/snow this winter that we need to get the lake back near a more fishable level.

Blessings,

Bill

Matthew 4:19

iPhish
09-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Which leads me to ask? How's the WON Trout Fest going to be this year? Is it worth fishing? Any locals of BBL, please chime in!! Thanks... Michael

twin22s
09-23-2015, 12:33 PM
IMO when the fishing is bad i do better in tournaments, I always seem to catch a few fish no matter how good or how bad it is, lol.

DrePSP
09-23-2015, 02:36 PM
I went up on saturday with the kids. shore line fishing...well there is almost no shore line due to weeds. A guy next to me hooked into one and lost it in the weeds.
Decided to rent a boat for couple hours. had bites in multiple areas, just couldn't pull them in.
Gave it up after couple hours.
Took the kids on the pirate boat ride. There were 3 different air-orators going on by the dam.
Hope it cools off soon. Water was vey merky everywhere.