PDA

View Full Version : Best overnight or full day boat out of Socal for Friday Sept. 25?

jacksonman
09-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Hello All! I am a native SoCal boy who has lived in Utah for the past 16 years, but comes down to SoCal to fish the YT, Tuna and Dodo bite every September. I often let my dad plan it but he hasn't been the best at choosing the right boat. I am looking for some insight from you experts as to the best boats to catch as many of these big game fish as possible! We are considering the Prowler or Condor out of Fishermans Landing (and have done well with them before). We are coming from San Bernardino and can stay in Oceanside so wondering if there are some better option a little further north. Any recommendations? Would like to keep the price under $250 and don't want to do more than an overnighter as I am running a Spartan race the next day at 7:30 a.m. Thanks!

trail blazer
09-16-2015, 06:33 PM
From my vantage point it looks like you need to Contact or pm etucker 1959,,

Hes been putting up lots of party boat reports of late,,Seems very knowlegable on that subject,,

T/B

etucker1959
09-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Hello All! I am a native SoCal boy who has lived in Utah for the past 16 years, but comes down to SoCal to fish the YT, Tuna and Dodo bite every September. I often let my dad plan it but he hasn't been the best at choosing the right boat. I am looking for some insight from you experts as to the best boats to catch as many of these big game fish as possible! We are considering the Prowler or Condor out of Fishermans Landing (and have done well with them before). We are coming from San Bernardino and can stay in Oceanside so wondering if there are some better option a little further north. Any recommendations? Would like to keep the price under $250 and don't want to do more than an overnighter as I am running a Spartan race the next day at 7:30 a.m. Thanks!
Let me answer this so everyone can learn something. San Diego has always been the Mecca for sport fishing until this year!!!! Most of the larger fish have already come across the border into American waters. The San Diego fleet is still catching a lot of fish, but their so small they are hardly worth the effort. A nice size group of Bluefin tuna have taken up residence off of the Osborne bank behind Santa Barbara Island. These are nice fish too 20-40 pounders compared to the San Diego fish which are mostly 4-10 pounders. Couple that with a lot of big Yellowtail are also at Santa Barbarba Island too this makes for a great trip!!!! Going on an overnight trip up in the Orange County/LA area now makes a lot of sense. Today was a little slower on the Bluefin tuna, but they still caught 21 BFT and 50 nice Yellowtail on the Freedom.

Let me give you the boats and the prices. The T-bird out of Newport Beach is $205 plus parking ($18) The Freedom out of 22nd Street landing is $175 and free parking. The Toronado out of Pierpoint landing in Long Beach is $140 and $3 to park. (what was I thinking I'm going there tomorrow) During the week if you mention 976-tuna it's only $120 (holy guacamole) I hope this helps. Fishing changes on a daily basis, but that's what happening as of today!!!!

PS. The Oceanside 95 out of Oceanside is now getting about the same amount of fish as the San Diego fleet with lighter loads and a cheaper price!!!!

jaggerbub
09-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Etucker is right on the money! I vote for the Toronado. Best price and boat for the money.

trail blazer
09-16-2015, 08:43 PM
I SECOND THE toro Ray is good and consistant,,,And hes been doing pretty good recently

jacksonman
09-17-2015, 07:17 PM
Thank you!! Extremely helpful! I just called Pierpoint and they said that they won't have any overnight boats going out next week. So which would be the next best boat for next Friday?

jacksonman
09-17-2015, 07:25 PM
I should probably state that we enjoy Dorado and Yellowtail fishing (kelp paddy) more than Bluefin and other Tuna fishing (troll and looking for schools). I prefer light tackle spinning rod fishing. It must be all the trout and salmon fishing I am doing... So I'd rather not choose a boat that is going to focused on Bluefin but one that will be focused on kelp paddy hopping.