PDA

View Full Version : Advice for large family vehicle

xjchad
09-15-2015, 07:58 PM
So we're adding another one to the litter (#5)
(One of the reasons I haven't gotten out to the sand lately.
Our current Chevy Uplander is out to seats so we're looking to upgrade to something larger.
Main concerns are safety and reliability. We'll most likely be buying used.
All minivans are out since all the kids are still in car seats.
I've always been a Chevy guy, but open to ALL suggestions.
Any advice?

Skyler
09-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Not only is it practical, but very safe due to all the police attention...

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/004390817/3332732688_myvan_xlarge.jpeg

sweetfish
09-17-2015, 12:18 PM
I have a family of 6 and am currently in the process of saving down payment for the Chevy Traverse. I don't know what your budget is, but can get a reasonable deal on a used one. Traverse seats 7 to 8 depending on configuration and has a towing capacity weight of 5,500 lbs. Also has estimated gas mileage of 17 mpg city and 24 mpg hwy.

I have looked at the Nissan Pathfinder with is comparable to the Traverse, but I have read several complaints on the tranny having problems.

Joshua
09-17-2015, 09:37 PM
We picked up a Chevy Suburban to transport my clan. Hansen Family of 5. Needed for small kids and a daughter that plays softball. I am a GM guy and like the vehicle. Interior is more comfortable than the older style (that I grew up in 80s-90s) However, the improvements in creature comforts reduce the cargo space. Cant fit a sheet of plywood in the back anymore. Comes with a 350 motor. Good power. Also has a economy feature, at HWY speeds motor will cut back to 4 cylinders and maximize MPG
WARNING: The rear 3rd row seating is a major theft issue. Ours was stolen. For experienced thieves, it takes them less than a minute to steal the rear seats. We had to replace them already. We purchased a locking system to prevent future theft.

NFCD I
09-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Here's how I've purchased my last 4 vehicles. You have to do your home work. Decide what you want and how much you can afford to pay. Go to the dealership that carries that brand of car. Ask for the used car manager. Tell him what you're looking for and how much you're willing to pay. Tell him to call you when he has what you want. You'll get a call within a day or so. Once the deal is cut, I demand 4 new tires before signing anything. It works and we have not been disappointed.
Good Luck

fisherman951
09-18-2015, 12:15 PM
I have a 4year old In a booster, 1 year old in car seat and new born in car seat as well. Honda Odyssey is the way to go its roomy and car seats fit perfect. We picked up a 2015,model and its working great. Why don't you want a minivan?

xjchad
09-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Not only is it practical, but very safe due to all the police attention...

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/004390817/3332732688_myvan_xlarge.jpeg

LOL!

I have a family of 6 and am currently in the process of saving down payment for the Chevy Traverse. I don't know what your budget is, but can get a reasonable deal on a used one. Traverse seats 7 to 8 depending on configuration and has a towing capacity weight of 5,500 lbs. Also has estimated gas mileage of 17 mpg city and 24 mpg hwy.

I have looked at the Nissan Pathfinder with is comparable to the Traverse, but I have read several complaints on the tranny having problems.

I don't think the Traverse or Pathfinder will fit all 5 kids in carseats.

We picked up a Chevy Suburban to transport my clan. Hansen Family of 5. Needed for small kids and a daughter that plays softball. I am a GM guy and like the vehicle. Interior is more comfortable than the older style (that I grew up in 80s-90s) However, the improvements in creature comforts reduce the cargo space. Cant fit a sheet of plywood in the back anymore. Comes with a 350 motor. Good power. Also has a economy feature, at HWY speeds motor will cut back to 4 cylinders and maximize MPG
WARNING: The rear 3rd row seating is a major theft issue. Ours was stolen. For experienced thieves, it takes them less than a minute to steal the rear seats. We had to replace them already. We purchased a locking system to prevent future theft.

Great info, thank you! Definitely looking at Suburbans, I'm a GM guy too.

Here's how I've purchased my last 4 vehicles. You have to do your home work. Decide what you want and how much you can afford to pay. Go to the dealership that carries that brand of car. Ask for the used car manager. Tell him what you're looking for and how much you're willing to pay. Tell him to call you when he has what you want. You'll get a call within a day or so. Once the deal is cut, I demand 4 new tires before signing anything. It works and we have not been disappointed.
Good Luck

That sounds great, I will definitely try that method!

I have a 4year old In a booster, 1 year old in car seat and new born in car seat as well. Honda Odyssey is the way to go its roomy and car seats fit perfect. We picked up a 2015,model and its working great. Why don't you want a minivan?

We already have a minivan and we're out of seats.
I guess I should rephrase myself, I meant 5, as in 5 kids, so 7 of us total.
When the new baby comes in March, we'll have 5 kids in carseats :)

Joshua
09-18-2015, 06:55 PM
[/QUOTE]We already have a minivan and we're out of seats.
When the new baby comes in March, we'll have 5 kids in carseats :)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need a short yellow bus.

flyhigh123
09-18-2015, 11:17 PM
LOL!

I don't think the Traverse or Pathfinder will fit all 5 kids in carseats.

Great info, thank you! Definitely looking at Suburbans, I'm a GM guy too.

That sounds great, I will definitely try that method!

We already have a minivan and we're out of seats.
When the new baby comes in March, we'll have 5 kids in carseats :)

minivans seat 7, 5 kids( or 5 carseats. 2 in middle, 3 in back). If a minivan is not enough, then you are looking at a 12 seater passenger van... lol

Ssortasober
09-19-2015, 07:38 AM
Suburban, ask the dealer about the vasectomy option. What are you made of money? I have two boys and they're expensive, not as expensive as the wife. Good luck with your decision.

etucker1959
09-19-2015, 07:46 AM
It's a suburban all the way, I had them for 20 years for use in my daycare business. 2 adults in the front, 3 kids in the middle section and the 2 older kids get the third seat section. You even have room for 2 more if you don't take the vasectomy option!!!!! lol

xjchad
09-19-2015, 08:10 AM
minivans seat 7, 5 kids( or 5 carseats. 2 in middle, 3 in back). If a minivan is not enough, then you are looking at a 12 seater passenger van... lol

Have you ever tried putting 3 full size carseats in the back row of a minivan?
Won't even come close in any of the vans I've tried it in LOL