PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Eastern Sierras [Video]

carpanglerdude
09-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Just got back from a trip to the Eastern Sierras. Beautiful country, despite the smoke from King's Canyon wildfires wafting over the Owens region. Didn't get a lot of fishing in, but did manage to catch and release a few small brook and brown trout. Enjoy the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voRlZxosnm4

[ignore the date/time, it's off and I forgot to turn it off]

shinbob
09-10-2015, 07:59 AM
Beautiful scenery, great video! Love those small wild trout, especially on the fly! Creek seems to be flowing decently, better than I thought it would at this time of this drought year.

Never heard of the SJ7000 before, wow, it's only $70? How do you like it? At that price, I may buy one just to play around with.

carpanglerdude
09-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Beautiful scenery, great video! Love those small wild trout, especially on the fly! Creek seems to be flowing decently, better than I thought it would at this time of this drought year.

Never heard of the SJ7000 before, wow, it's only $70? How do you like it? At that price, I may buy one just to play around with.

Most of the lakes we checked out seemed to be at average water levels (just guessing, as there wasn't obvious dry ring/dried up shoreline around them, seemed flush with the bank).

The SJ7000 is really nice for the price. I think it's as low as $59 now with free shipping. The photos aren't much better than a cell phone camera. However, I was pretty happy with the footage obtained.
If you are looking for a cheap action camera, as an alternative to the over-priced GoPro, there are a LOT of nice options. The SJ7000 is one, it is a copy of the original SJ4000 (one of my favorites). There is also the very, very nice Xiaomi Yi camera, at $62 without a waterproof case, and roughly $70-$85 with the case, depending on which model you get. Monoprice also has a very nice one in the sub$100 range, so does Sony. If you have any questions on action cameras, let me know, happy to help!

foo79
09-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Nice! I was just up there this past weekend fishing the Owens and some of the creeks around Mammoth. What were you tossing on the fly rod? Were you stripping some type of streamer fly?