PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 Day AM on the Monte Carlo

Doomsdaymachine
09-10-2015, 12:18 AM
Alright, so we decided to take a drive out to 22nd street landing to see if we couldn't luck out and find some yellowtail. Saw online that they were having a special, $30 1/2 day trips for Wednesday. Great! A $60 trip for two plus one days would put us at under a hundred bucks. Drive all the way out there, and the kid at the landing charges us $45 apiece, plus the one days. I said, "Why so much? It says online that it's $30 for Wednesdays." He informs us that, to get that price, it has to be reserved online. Does it say that on the site? Of course not! In fact, it says that the regular price is ONLY $40! http://www.montecarlo-pursuitfishing.com/montecarlo-pursuitfishing.com/Prices_and_Schedule.html So, after protesting and holding up the line for no results, I take the unexpected $30 hit and call it bad luck. Ran us for $120 total for two people 1/2 day am and tags.

Hop on the boat and get everything stashed away. Deck hands were super chill. Good crew and I did like them a lot. Took the few minutes we had before heading out to start to set up the flylines for me and my girl and a big hammer on my light setup.

We make our way to the bait boat and load up on some great bait. A bunch of dines, and ton of perfect 8" greenbacks. Didn't even have to make bait. I figured this was the universe's apology for the $30 overcharge.

Saw a couple huge bait balls and some boiling on the way out. A promising start to the day. We chug on over to one, circle for a bit, and the captain (young dude) calls out that there are some marks. We stop and people rig up. Instantly, two BIG bones on deck. Sweet! I'll take 24"+ boneheads any day! I grab a lively dine for my girl and get my big hammer out, and just as we get ready to cast, the skipper calls out, "Don't throw your bait! Lines up, lines up! Don't waste the bait on bonita! We'll catch these every place we stop! Lets move on." Well, hell. Barely even got wet, and off we go.

Move on to another spot that shows some marks and start circling. Chum flies, we drop anchor, and everyone is lines in. A single barracuda makes it on deck. We soak for a while, then it's off to another spot.

Circle on a big bait ball a while later and a dog comes up with, guess what! A yellowtail in his mouth. He tears it up as the captain drives us away to another spot. ...Dammit. I'd be happy to try my luck with the dogs out as long as it would give us a shot!

Anyhow, long story short. We hit a couple other spots and switched to dropshot. Four sandies came up, one short. A sheephead, and two checkers. Dude trolled up a couple more bones between spots.

Boat total for 34 anglers was:
1 Barracuda
1 Sheephead
2 Calico Bass
4 Sand Bass (3 legal, 1 short)
5 Bonita

What was reported for 34 anglers:
4 Barracuda
3 Sheephead
7 Calico Bass
15 Sand Bass
12 Bonito

Lessons learned:
Don't leave fish to find fish.
Fish reports can be fish tales.
Advertised prices subject to change without notice?

In the end, we got the stripe. $120 boat ride with pristine, freshly scrubbed, unbloody decks. It was a nice day, though, and the dude running the galley makes a mean breakfast burrito. If you ever take this one out, the burrito is the way to go.

Tight lines.

Ambassadorhawg
09-10-2015, 05:50 AM
I was out there last Friday with a buddy. That was the last day the yellows bit well for the boat, but it will happen again of course.

I went 3 for 3 on the hook ups and so did my buddy. Our fish were 18-22 pound class. I did see some rats landed as well as some bigger models (48 were landed on that AM trip). The amount of fish out there that day was amazing. Some HUGE barracuda, all sizes of bonito, and some sand bass. I also caught two 4 pound sand bass while soaking a big sardine.

I think the key to being successful on the action out there is the bait. With this warm El Nino water, there is a bait shortage and what they do scoop up (in cooler water on the beach), ends up dying in short order once you are fishing it on the numbers. The bait boat had great success making bait on the day we went out last Friday. We hit it just right.

Sorry to hear about the boat fare confusion issue. Hopefully, they get that sorted out.

etucker1959
09-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Alright, so we decided to take a drive out to 22nd street landing to see if we couldn't luck out and find some yellowtail. Saw online that they were having a special, $30 1/2 day trips for Wednesday. Great! A $60 trip for two plus one days would put us at under a hundred bucks. Drive all the way out there, and the kid at the landing charges us $45 apiece, plus the one days. I said, "Why so much? It says online that it's $30 for Wednesdays." He informs us that, to get that price, it has to be reserved online. Does it say that on the site? Of course not! In fact, it says that the regular price is ONLY $40! http://www.montecarlo-pursuitfishing.com/montecarlo-pursuitfishing.com/Prices_and_Schedule.html So, after protesting and holding up the line for no results, I take the unexpected $30 hit and call it bad luck. Ran us for $120 total for two people 1/2 day am and tags.

Hop on the boat and get everything stashed away. Deck hands were super chill. Good crew and I did like them a lot. Took the few minutes we had before heading out to start to set up the flylines for me and my girl and a big hammer on my light setup.

We make our way to the bait boat and load up on some great bait. A bunch of dines, and ton of perfect 8" greenbacks. Didn't even have to make bait. I figured this was the universe's apology for the $30 overcharge.

Saw a couple huge bait balls and some boiling on the way out. A promising start to the day. We chug on over to one, circle for a bit, and the captain (young dude) calls out that there are some marks. We stop and people rig up. Instantly, two BIG bones on deck. Sweet! I'll take 24"+ boneheads any day! I grab a lively dine for my girl and get my big hammer out, and just as we get ready to cast, the skipper calls out, "Don't throw your bait! Lines up, lines up! Don't waste the bait on bonita! We'll catch these every place we stop! Lets move on." Well, hell. Barely even got wet, and off we go.

Move on to another spot that shows some marks and start circling. Chum flies, we drop anchor, and everyone is lines in. A single barracuda makes it on deck. We soak for a while, then it's off to another spot.

Circle on a big bait ball a while later and a dog comes up with, guess what! A yellowtail in his mouth. He tears it up as the captain drives us away to another spot. ...Dammit. I'd be happy to try my luck with the dogs out as long as it would give us a shot!

Anyhow, long story short. We hit a couple other spots and switched to dropshot. Four sandies came up, one short. A sheephead, and two checkers. Dude trolled up a couple more bones between spots.

Boat total for 34 anglers was:
1 Barracuda
1 Sheephead
2 Calico Bass
4 Sand Bass (3 legal, 1 short)
5 Bonita

What was reported for 34 anglers:
4 Barracuda
3 Sheephead
7 Calico Bass
15 Sand Bass
12 Bonito

Lessons learned:
Don't leave fish to find fish.
Fish reports can be fish tales.
Advertised prices subject to change without notice?

In the end, we got the stripe. $120 boat ride with pristine, freshly scrubbed, unbloody decks. It was a nice day, though, and the dude running the galley makes a mean breakfast burrito. If you ever take this one out, the burrito is the way to go.

Tight lines.
Boy you had nothing but bad luck yesterday!!! All the Half-day boats from Redondo to Newport Beach got into the Yellowtail REAL GOOD on their morning runs yesterday EXCEPT the Monte Carlo. If anyone is looking for a bargain for a Half-day boat, Amazon local sells $22 Half-day tickets good any day of the week for "The City of Long Beach" out of Marina sport fishing in Long Beach or "The Southern Cal" out of Pierpoint landing.

TUNAVIC
09-10-2015, 09:40 AM
Sorry about the bummer day,I think we all been there,maybe more than once,after a trip like that usually we feel like,I can't wait to get back out there now that I got that trip out of the way,cause we all realize those trips happen,you're gonna get em next time!

Cya Tuna Vic

Stormcrow
09-10-2015, 01:32 PM
Tucky is right...Everyone else has been lighting it up. That is a good boat too. Just bad luck.

etucker1959
09-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Tucky is right...Everyone else has been lighting it up. That is a good boat too. Just bad luck.
It's a very good boat, one of the most comfortable ones to fish on. With that being said, "it's now a game of the captains!!" Great captain, good results!!! Relief captain not so good. You called him a young guy, so that eliminates Walt. (I really like Walt) Bob Molla is young, but he stands out. Big guy with a zz top quality beard, if it wasn't him you got some new guy just learning. So that might have been the problem!!!!

bighuff
09-10-2015, 02:39 PM
This is either the third or fourth time you have done this tucker, if you are gonna say anything bad about a person atleast get it right. Bob and Molla are two different captains

etucker1959
09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
This is either the third or fourth time you have done this tucker, if you are gonna say anything bad about a person atleast get it right. Bob and Molla are two different captains
What is Molla's first name????? I thought it was Bob!!! (my apologies for getting it wrong) That means the Monte has 3 captains, I know Molla also runs the Tradition. I wasn't saying anything bad against any of them, but if you take Jeff for example on the T-Bird. When he runs the boat great things happen. When the relief guy runs the boat, it's not the same. Same thing with Andy on the Enterprise. Are you telling me the relief guy is in the same league as him???? How about the Freedom, when Jeff Jessop runs the boat the count is usually better then when Nick runs the boat. But when they hire Tino to run a Island trip, great things happen!!!! I personally have more faith when Mitch runs the Southern Cal then when Ryan runs the boat. (Ryan does put up decent numbers sometimes) I'm not trying to bad mouth anybody (except Eric on the Redondo special) but I see the numbers change a lot when different skippers run the same boat!!!! A few boats it's always the same Skipper like Ray on the Tornado. A little help from anybody else out there on this one. Or am I the only one who see's this??????????? I think so by your reaction!!!!!!

coors
09-10-2015, 03:40 PM
you just never know. we took the twilight trip friday night out of lbsf. schedule says fishing for sandys,sculpin and more.
rig up and Rich the cook says did you hear sculpin was cut off sept 1st? of course the sculpin part was deleted the next day...

Doomsdaymachine
09-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I know what a run of bad luck can feel like. This was pretty bad luck, but a different game plan would have helped a lot. I've fished with Captain Walt before (I assume it was him at least, older guy, really friendly), and it wasn't a bearded guy unless I mistook someone else for the captain. Saw a younger, thinner guy come out of the wheelhouse while I was on the upper deck.

Honestly, ignoring the count number "adjustment", the real reason I was upset with the trip was I felt like I got ripped off what with having to pay EXTRA to get on the boat and not even getting the chance to get wet the one spot fish could have really been caught that trip.

I've been on boat rides before, no big deal. I'll wear the stripe. I just felt I got ripped off for nothing.

I'll go out on the Monte Carlo again, for sure. Like I said, the deck hands were great, and the food was tasty. I'll just call ahead to see who's driving.

etucker1959
09-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Don't get me wrong, I know what a run of bad luck can feel like. This was pretty bad luck, but a different game plan would have helped a lot. I've fished with Captain Walt before (I assume it was him at least, older guy, really friendly), and it wasn't a bearded guy unless I mistook someone else for the captain. Saw a younger, thinner guy come out of the wheelhouse while I was on the upper deck.

Honestly, ignoring the count number "adjustment", the real reason I was upset with the trip was I felt like I got ripped off what with having to pay EXTRA to get on the boat and not even getting the chance to get wet the one spot fish could have really been caught that trip.

I've been on boat rides before, no big deal. I'll wear the stripe. I just felt I got ripped off for nothing.

I'll go out on the Monte Carlo again, for sure. Like I said, the deck hands were great, and the food was tasty. I'll just call ahead to see who's driving.
It's funny about the prepaid discounts. Some of the 22nd street landing boats are doing it but not all of them. Most boats out of Long beach sport fishing are doing them. (except the Black Pearl) The Toronado out of Pierpoint is offering a week day prepaid discount if you mention 976-tuna. So I guess the moral of the story is to always call first to verify what you think you already know!!! lol

etucker1959
09-10-2015, 05:07 PM
you just never know. we took the twilight trip friday night out of lbsf. schedule says fishing for sandys,sculpin and more.
rig up and Rich the cook says did you hear sculpin was cut off sept 1st? of course the sculpin part was deleted the next day...
It's funny about the Sculpin, I was told it was on a quota basis and the quota was met. Now what are these guy's going to do for a back up plan???? I was on a few trips myself earlier in the year, when there was Yellowtail around and we went Sculpin fishing instead!!!!

TUNAVIC
09-10-2015, 10:43 PM
What is Molla's first name????? I thought it was Bob!!! (my apologies for getting it wrong) That means the Monte has 3 captains, I know Molla also runs the Tradition. I wasn't saying anything bad against any of them, but if you take Jeff for example on the T-Bird. When he runs the boat great things happen. When the relief guy runs the boat, it's not the same. Same thing with Andy on the Enterprise. Are you telling me the relief guy is in the same league as him???? How about the Freedom, when Jeff Jessop runs the boat the count is usually better then when Nick runs the boat. But when they hire Tino to run a Island trip, great things happen!!!! I personally have more faith when Mitch runs the Southern Cal then when Ryan runs the boat. (Ryan does put up decent numbers sometimes) I'm not trying to bad mouth anybody (except Eric on the Redondo special) but I see the numbers change a lot when different skippers run the same boat!!!! A few boats it's always the same Skipper like Ray on the Tornado. A little help from anybody else out there on this one. Or am I the only one who see's this??????????? I think so by your reaction!!!!!!
Hmmm,I wonder if it's Mark Molla,I fished with a Mark Molla years ago on the Queen of the Sea,First String,and other boats,pretty cool if he's a Captain now,anyone know the Skips first name?

Cya Tuna Vic

etucker1959
09-11-2015, 06:18 AM
Hmmm,I wonder if it's Mark Molla,I fished with a Mark Molla years ago on the Queen of the Sea,First String,and other boats,pretty cool if he's a Captain now,anyone know the Skips first name?

Cya Tuna Vic
That goes back a way's, he is pretty young. However, wouldn't it be funny if that is his son??????? lol

DockRat
09-11-2015, 08:43 AM
The captain was moving because he was trying to find the Yellowtail.

Not everyday, see story below.
Good Cappy, Brian is a deck boss too.

"it's now a game of the captains!!" That is your game buddy. :LOL:

I'm calling BS, It is all about the bite.

I personally have more faith when Mitch runs the Southern Cal then when Ryan runs the boat. (Ryan does put up decent numbers sometimes) Mitch had the boat wed. Mitch or Ryan doesn't matter to me.

Got off work wed at 11:30, jumped on the So Cal. Best Bait ever! 6" Dines in one tank, 6" - 8" Macs in the other. We stopped outside and made more 6" macs. Light load about 25 guys due to the heat. Some clouds, then the wind came, not too bad. Hit the 105, Green Buoy, 3 - 4 moves. Wind backed down, few Bonito and Cuda coming over the rail.

Mitch takes off, 5 min later I'm thinking where is he going ? We drop anchor between the Point Fermin buoy and the kelp, total mistake Mitch.
I rigged a dropper loop hoping for a Halibut. A couple sand bass then we head back to the green buoy are. One Hour Lost. WTG !

Had a bunch of good fishermen on board. 0 Yellowtail. Came in with a tank of great bait.
BTW the wind laid down then a little squall from the north came then wind directions were changing.

Not always the captain, sometimes the fish aren't biting.
DR

10 Calico Bass 11 Barracuda 1 Sheephead 43 Bonito

bighuff
09-11-2015, 08:57 AM
If you fished with Molla on the monte then you just happened to be there the one day both Walt and bob had off. Only Walt and bob are actually captains of the monte. Molla runs the tradition and the 6 pack Judith Ann. Bob and Molla are just identical lookin but have way different ways of fishing

bighuff
09-11-2015, 09:00 AM
I know you weren't straight slandering anybody but it is talking somewhat bad about someone when you say you'd rather not ride with him and doesn't like his style of fishing. Just sounds bad when you are also saying it about the wrong person. It's not like these captains aren't getting full pages written about them daily on these sites as it is

DockRat
09-11-2015, 09:23 AM
I know you weren't straight slandering anybody but it is talking somewhat bad about someone when you say you'd rather not ride with him and doesn't like his style of fishing. Just sounds bad when you are also saying it about the wrong person. It's not like these captains aren't getting full pages written about them daily on these sites as it is

I think he got excited with the Bonito but the Captain was looking for YT.
If they hit a school of YT it would have been a different story.

Had a buddy run his Parker to San Clemente Island sunday. They burned a lot of gas. Left at 2 am and hit the dock at 7pm.
8 hours of trolling and hitting empty kelps for 3 limits of 3 to 5 lb Rat Yellows.

It's called fishing. Hero or Zero.
Most "Hotdog Fishermen" don't report bad trips.
People report good trips. Then so many think the fishing is always good.

I really appreciate bad day reports.
DR

bighuff
09-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Wasn't saying it about the original poster, it was about tucker. He has chimmed in on other's posts saying that and it always has been about the wrong guy

Egster
09-11-2015, 01:49 PM

I find the comments about the captains very useful and appreciate every bits of it, even though they might not be 100% correct (mistake happens). Captains do make a difference to the overall boating experience. Actually, not just the captains, the deckhands plays a major factor as well. So I don't find more comments on the captains are a bad thing. Better yet, hopefully these reviews will help shape up the bad ones and benefit us, the customers, overall.

The fact that no one corrected Etucker about Bob and Molla being different person until you did, pretty much shows that most people here don't really know the captains well enough(or simply don't care to correct him?).

Doomsdaymachine
09-11-2015, 04:25 PM
Hey, if I wanted fish every time I went out, I'd go to the market. I've been watching the reports, and I've seen the drop off of action. I imagine this weather coming through will pull some weird water with it, too. I'm not just running out there blind and feeling entitled to it all.

I've been fishing Southern CA fleets for over 20 years. Worked as a deckhand on the Redondo Special and the City of Redondo over the summers when I wasn't in high school (Or out of state). Gone out for half days, gone out for four days; been skunked several times on every kind of trip I've taken. I never EXPECT to catch fish.

I just expect the opportunity to try when there are fish coming over rails, not be forbidden from casting. I'm fine not wasting bait. I tend to throw artificials more. I don't care if we're hunting something different. It's a 1/2 day trip. At least let me try.

In the end, this skunk stunk a bit worse since I was charged more than standard fareand I feel like the numbers were doctored. I do regret being so harsh on the captain. I'll give him another go for sure, because this may have been a fluke. Who knows.

etucker1959
09-11-2015, 07:33 PM
I find the comments about the captains very useful and appreciate every bits of it, even though they might not be 100% correct (mistake happens). Captains do make a difference to the overall boating experience. Actually, not just the captains, the deckhands plays a major factor as well. So I don't find more comments on the captains are a bad thing. Better yet, hopefully these reviews will help shape up the bad ones and benefit us, the customers, overall.

The fact that no one corrected Etucker about Bob and Molla being different person until you did, pretty much shows that most people here don't really know the captains well enough(or simply don't care to correct him?).
Thanks for the kind words. Is it just luck when certain captains are running the boat and the fish count goes up???? (maybe yes, maybe no????) or is it the day of the week?????? Today the Monte Carlo caught 41 Yellowtail and last Friday they caught 68. Is that just luck or the guy running the boat????? You can make up your own minds on that one!!!!!