PDA

View Full Version : Yellowtail on the worst Half-day boat on the coast. (Part 2)

etucker1959
09-07-2015, 08:00 PM
After riding on the Redondo Special twice in the last 6 months and have a horrible experience both times. (the captain was to blame) I wrote a thread about what a poor experience I had fishing on that boat!!! Not that the fishing was all that bad, a fair number of Yellowtail were caught on both trips. The captains attitude was just out of this world. So when I read a thread this past Friday praising the captain and crew, "I was feeling a little guilty!!!" Maybe I just caught the guy on a couple of bad day's and most of the time he is a pretty decent guy. So when his fish counts out shined everybody's else's over this Labor Day weekend, I thought I would give him another shot and be objective. That was my first mistake if I really wanted to catch a Yellowtail. I was paying more attention to the actions of the crew and not doing what I need to do. But I couldn't help myself!!!! lol Proving to myself if I was right or wrong is more important then catching another Yellowtail. (Coming soon is my damsel in distress thread!!!)

On to the fishing.

This was a typical afternoon Half-day trip that left at 1:00 pm (most half-day trips are scheduled for 5 and half hours) This one left a little late because he got bait from the receiver first. (most fishing trips usually make up the difference at the end of the day) After the captain gave his safety speech, he said he was only going to say this once. "Soak your baits and if we run out early that's it!!!!" That was probably the biggest lie I heard since, "the check is in the mail!!!!" That's all he said the entire trip, "we are burning up the bait too quickly!!!!" In going out to the Yellowtail spot he made no attempt to supplement his bait with additional Mackerel by snagging some more. (The spot was only 30 minutes away.) Once we got to the spot he put no additional frozen squid out for anglers to fish with. (I think many of the anglers would have fished with it) We had 45 anglers on the boat and a lot of newbies. There were rockfish and calico bass on all the spots we fished. So the Mackerel was the only real bait we had to fish with. (pinhead anchovy's are mostly just for chum) The Yellowtail came through 3 times and we would hook about 6-7 every time. Captain Eric was on the bait tank the whole time chumming and screaming at the passengers all day. If he wasn't screaming at the passengers when the fish came through, he complained about them using up all the bait to fast the rest of the time. Sure enough we were out of bait by 4:00 pm and we went home!!!!! He had the boat tied up to the pier at 4:30. The boat left at around 1:15 pm and we were back at the pier at 4:30 pm. That's a grand total of a 3 hour and 15 minute half-day trip when most landings will give you about an 5 and a half hour trip. It didn't matter, I was glad to get off that boat!!!! His screaming and complaining all day about the bait was just too much for me!!!! So that's 3 bad trips in a row for me on this boat. We did catch 10 Yellowtail on this trip, so the fishing wasn't that bad. But on all 3 Yellowtail trips for me on this boat the Captain had a terrible attitude every time. He also did something I've never seen a captain do before, a passenger hooked a Yellowtail on a spinning reel. You can't just reel them in on that kind of tackle, so after awhile the captain told the passenger to give him his pole and he would finish catching the Yellowtail. The passenger said, "I've got mono tied to braid and the mono is on the reel") In another words the fish was almost up and the passenger wanted to finish him off himself. (which he did) You can go on this boat yourself and come up with your own conclusions. That's just my story and I'm sticking with it!!!!) lol

TUNAVIC
09-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Bummer,3 strikes would be enough for me!

Cya Tuna Vic

toomanyskunks
09-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Unfortunately I was there this morning and it was the same thing plus 20 more people

DockRat
09-08-2015, 06:39 AM
So, when are you going back ?
Kinda like a crazy chick you date. After a while you feel like calling her again ?
DR

etucker1959
09-08-2015, 07:40 AM
So, when are you going back ?
Kinda like a crazy chick you date. After a while you feel like calling her again ?
DR
Very perceptive, you noticed I didn't say I would never go back!!!!! I've said in earlier posts, if the DEVIL himself was driving the boat and catching fish, "I would go!!!!!" The boat and landing has some great advantages and I'll name a few, it's only 30 minutes from King Harbor to Rocky Point. MDR is an hour away and 22nd street is an hour and half away plus the time to get bait. Also during the week he get's nobody on his boat, where else can you fish with 8-18 anglers on any boat? The real fishermen know he's a crazy Fxxx and fish on other boats. He just get's the dumb tourists or the Internet watchers who will go any where after someone posts a big number. Also did you notice, "I never said the guy can't fish." Actually we were high boat in the afternoon. The New Del Mar was there and didn't catch squat, neither did the Native Sun or the Monte Carlo or the Betty G. I'm just giving a WARNING to people who think this is some kind of Disneyland experience for the whole family to enjoy!!! Or someone else who might have soft skin and doesn't like to be yelled at. Hey I'm a big contributor on FNN, only someone who has a thick skin hangs around here very long!!!! lol