PDA

View Full Version : dove-mas is coming soon

Joshua
08-24-2015, 05:18 PM
Anyone planning to hit up the fields for the dove opener.
I will! SUCK IT you worker bees.

Marley
08-24-2015, 05:22 PM
It's going to be a great opener, sucks that I'm a worker bee that week with my admin out for surgery. Hope you get 'em!

Theos
08-24-2015, 05:41 PM
Anyone planning to hit up the fields for the dove opener.
I will! SUCK IT you worker bees.

How do you prepare those for eating ? I have a few in the freezer.

DEVOREFLYER
08-24-2015, 05:52 PM
How do you prepare those for eating ? I have a few in the freezer.

Breast them out with kitchen shears throw the rest away not worth the effort. Wrap the breast with a strip of bacon, toss on BBQ when the bacon is about done hit it with BBQ sauce.

Theos
08-24-2015, 06:12 PM
Breast them out with kitchen shears throw the rest away not worth the effort. Wrap the breast with a strip of bacon, toss on BBQ when the bacon is about done hit it with BBQ sauce.

Alright ill give it a go.

cutbait
08-24-2015, 07:36 PM
What fields are you talking about?

General area I mean

parkermann2
08-24-2015, 09:04 PM
I might be hunting calipatria opening weekend. We are also planning on going up the 395 the second weekend. I found a few areas to hunt but I was just curious if any one has any general areas up there to suggest that I might not know of. We are planning on going to a few areas where there are alfalfa fields near lone line/ bishop and also sunflower fields. I won't post any spots anywhere because I know the damage it can have. Anyone hunt up there?

Stinkbait
08-24-2015, 09:17 PM

What he says or marinade in Italian dressing, put a slice in each side of the breast and add a small sliver of Anaheim or halopeno pepper, wrap in bacon and BBQ.

Stinkbait
08-24-2015, 09:21 PM
What fields are you talking about?

General area I mean

The only "field " fields I know of are the DFg sponsored ones down by Niland or Brawley. They plant the fields down there for dove shooters. It gets elbow to elbow though with dopes shooting low 24/7.

Marley
08-24-2015, 09:32 PM
... Anyone hunt up there?

Yes, and you are on the right track. Dove hunting there is a little less predictable than Blythe or Yuma, though. Bring a rod and a tub of dillies just in case.

jhernandez25
08-24-2015, 10:49 PM
Nice requested opening day am hoping to make it down to salton sea :-) and i myself eat the whole bird i put in that extra work for those little legs :-)

Joshua
08-25-2015, 05:02 AM
I shoot private property down near the salton sea. Saw weather report that there are thunder storms down that way.

There are fields near niland that are managed by DFG. If you head to those fields remember that you have to use steel shot. No lead

Skyler
08-25-2015, 08:05 AM
I'll be out in Blythe. Took the whole week off, he he he...

NFCD I
08-25-2015, 10:22 AM
My son and I are heading down to Yuma, AZ. They've finally raised the bag limit from 10 to 15 birds. The place we hunt has a lot of Eurasian's. We actually prefer eating Eurasian dove as well. I like to slice jalapeno peppers and make a small cut in each side of the breast to put them in. We wrap a small piece of bacon around them, BBQ until the bacon is done and you're good to go.

fishing_freak
08-25-2015, 12:11 PM
its probably been 5 years since i last hunted dove but now that i got everything together im excited to get back out there

Joshua
08-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Some good news. Limit is now 15 birds. And Eurasian dove don't count towards the limit.
Do your own research into current regulations. Warden seldom accept the excuse " that you read it on a forum".

Skyler
08-26-2015, 07:05 AM
Some good news. Limit is now 15 birds. And Eurasian dove don't count towards the limit.
Do your own research into current regulations. Warden seldom accept the excuse " that you read it on a forum".

Those were the regs last year as well. I had an epic opener, with lots of euros and pigeons in the mix. Had a 25 bird day even.

Joshua
08-29-2015, 10:19 PM
Im frickin jonesing. Keep checking the weather reports every couple hours. Got a report from family that drove back from AZ this morning. Gonna pack the camper tomorrow and take it to work on Monday. Taking off to Mecca from work on Monday. Will get in some trap and target shooting before sunset. And some scouting. Charging up the GoPro and made sure the barrel mount works. Bought one from a small company in CO. Cool guy and appears to be a good product. Will report back after the opener. I am ready for some shooting/ footage of carnage. I am sure there will be some easy misses and some cursing involved. Misses can be taken care of with creative editing. I am deadly accurate once I edit the video. I never miss.

I have misplaced my glasses. My eyesight in going (life after 40 :Sad: ). Hope to shoot well enough to outshoot my nephew. He is catching up rapidly. I have to work to outshoot him. Before it wasn't close.

John Harper
08-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Headed out to Yuma tomorrow as well. Bagged 27 birds opening day last year, 12 Eurasians plus my liimit. Most of my group is not going (work, kids, etc.) this year so pressure should be light out there. Sucks for them!!!!

I've done whole birds in the crockpot with cream of mushroom, carrots, celery, onions, potatoes. Very tasty and easy to prepare. Also done the baccon/jalepeno on the BBQ many times. Good luck to all.

John

John Harper
09-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Day One - 9/1
Went out this morning with alan760 and JFraser near Yuma. Here's us parked on the shady side of "my" tree:
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/johnharper91/IMG_0263_zpsttlgnu52.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/johnharper91/media/IMG_0263_zpsttlgnu52.jpg.html)

They cut down the nearby orange grove that usually holds lots of birds. Birds still came, but mainly in ones, twos, maybe threes. Shot fairly well, I guess, 15 birds in 50 shots. Alan finished up around 7:30, JFraser and I shortly thereafter, and we were all limited by 7:35.

I actually got a "natural" full limit of 10 whitewings and 5 mourning doves. John got two Eurasians on top of his limit, but we saw almost none this year. Alan filled his bag as well.

Day Two - 9/2

Started out "red hot" this morning, 7 birds in 12 shots including a one shot/two bird combo. Shot a lot better today than yesterday, which is unusual for me. Ended up with 15 birds in 34 shots today, wow!
We all finished up about 9:00AM with full limits once again!

Today's harvest:
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/johnharper91/IMG_0267_zps5z8jyhdg.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/johnharper91/media/IMG_0267_zps5z8jyhdg.jpg.html)

No way I miss this shot:
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/johnharper91/IMG_0265_zpszik0heti.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/johnharper91/media/IMG_0265_zpszik0heti.jpg.html)

JFraser and alan760:
http://i958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/johnharper91/IMG_0268_zpsanl8bnaa.jpg (http://s958.photobucket.com/user/johnharper91/media/IMG_0268_zpsanl8bnaa.jpg.html)

Didn't lose a single bird in the bushes the entire trip. Nice clean hunting, no lost birds, left no trace.

Remember to pick up your empty shells, everyone!

John

Joshua
09-16-2015, 08:48 PM
Late post
We shot our regular spot for the opener. Thank God the locals weren't out in large numbers. I love mid-week openers, it keeps the casual hunters away. I may fall into the casual hunter category but for the dove opener, I am diehard.
Weather wasn't too bad 105-ish. Had a slow but steady shoot in the early hours. Changed spots to our hang out / camping area. Had to walk the vineyards to get the birds moving. There were a decent number of birds but nothing to make them fly. Not until we walked and spooked up a few. Then a quick shot and that would scare up others.
Had mostly mourning dove. About 40% white wing and 3 Eurasian in the mix. The Eurasian that I dropped was squacking at me when I went to pick it up. It was pissed off and letting me know. Until I humanely dispatched him. Even after harvesting 100s, possibly 1000s of birds, a wounded bird still hurts me a little bit. I try to end it quickly.
I really like the 15 bird limit.
My nephew was showing me up for awhile. I did rally back and show him I still can shoot (a little bit). Time stands still for no man. Need to get more time at the range.
Overall, I good opener (Not great). Got reports from friends that shot the same area for 3 days and were getting a lot of shots.