PDA

View Full Version : Southern Cal 8/11 PM Tangle Lines, Bloody Deck, Out of Bait

Egster
08-12-2015, 02:14 AM
As soon as the Southern Cal PM trip people started to get on board, it became obvious the goal of this trip was to survive the tangle madness that was to come with 60ish people. I overheard some people were talking about sticking to fishing spot number they had. Doh! I thought to myself, what did I get myself into. Then, unlike me, friendly great fisherman started to explain to them how live bait fishing works and the need to follow the line. I'm not sure how they did on the trip, hope they had a good time after all with some catch.

Pretty soon after we started heading out, Captain Mitch announced that we were short on bait and had to make due with what we had. Doh! x 2. Actually, as it turns out, those we had were nice baits, good sized lively dines. We then arrived to where the fleet was. Saw Monte Carlo and Native Sun(I think), and many others. Soon enough, we saw some boils, begged the boat to stop so we can fish. We anchored and fish on.

Fresh one, I'm hit, hook up, Arrrgggggh, and some other verbal expressions that I know not how it spelled were used throughout the boat. Pretty soon the boat turned into a bloody mess. And of course, many many tangle casualties as well. Great fishing all around none the less. Then, for some reason, the boat engine started and we were off to a different area. But we were doing so well here!!! Later on, as someone next to me point out, maybe was a tactic to stop us from using up the bait too fast. Cruised around searching for yellows for a good while, nice break time to hose down the bloody deck. Then suddenly, yep, there it is. There's Monte Carlo again. And so we back on fishing.

We ran out of bait. Frozen squids were mentioned, offered, and probably used by some. No thanks, two guys looked down the live well and tried to scoop up 2 remaining sardines. They tried for a good while but I don't think they succeed, those 2 dines were fast. Ok, I tried a little too to catch them but quickly gave up.

62 yellowtails were reported, I can't confirm the count but there were indeed lots of yellows caught. My tally was 2 yellows and 2 lost due to tangles and a noob knot job. What I learn for the day (besides learn to tie a solid knot) was that on these anchor boat fishing situation with lots of people and current, it's probably best to cast your bait as far as you can to the side of the boat and let it drift to the back of the stern (everyone's bait drifts to the stern eventually). Follow your line of course. This way, chances are by the time your bait drift to the stern, it's far out and not bunched up tangled up with other people. I see lots of people casting from the back of the stern ended up in a tangled mess. Maybe this is a common knowledge, maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but I thought it's worth sharing.

There were good amount of shenanigans went on the boat too. One guys caught a bird, flew it as a kite for a good while, Mitch yelled at em, good laugh had by all. Some guy put his fish in the wrong sack, started to argue with Mitch on how many were his, Mitch yelled at em. I don't think the guy was pleased. The boat was on the move and a guy got hit with a jig (not suppose to be fishing!!!). Landed a good size yellow being the only person had line in the water. I wasn't sure if there were any Mitch yelling this time since I wasn't near the bridge, but the opportunity certainly was there.

etucker1959
08-12-2015, 02:52 AM
As soon as the Southern Cal PM trip people started to get on board, it became obvious the goal of this trip was to survive the tangle madness that was to come with 60ish people. I overheard some people were talking about sticking to fishing spot number they had. Doh! I thought to myself, what did I get myself into. Then, unlike me, friendly great fisherman started to explain to them how live bait fishing works and the need to follow the line. I'm not sure how they did on the trip, hope they had a good time after all with some catch.

Pretty soon after we started heading out, Captain Mitch announced that we were short on bait and had to make due with what we had. Doh! x 2. Actually, as it turns out, those we had were nice baits, good sized lively dines. We then arrived to where the fleet was. Saw Monte Carlo and Native Sun(I think), and many others. Soon enough, we saw some boils, begged the boat to stop so we can fish. We anchored and fish on.

Fresh one, I'm hit, hook up, Arrrgggggh, and some other verbal expressions that I know not how it spelled were used throughout the boat. Pretty soon the boat turned into a bloody mess. And of course, many many tangle casualties as well. Great fishing all around none the less. Then, for some reason, the boat engine started and we were off to a different area. But we were doing so well here!!! Later on, as someone next to me point out, maybe was a tactic to stop us from using up the bait too fast. Cruised around searching for yellows for a good while, nice break time to hose down the bloody deck. Then suddenly, yep, there it is. There's Monte Carlo again. And so we back on fishing.

We ran out of bait. Frozen squids were mentioned, offered, and probably used by some. No thanks, two guys looked down the live well and tried to scoop up 2 remaining sardines. They tried for a good while but I don't think they succeed, those 2 dines were fast. Ok, I tried a little too to catch them but quickly gave up.

62 yellowtails were reported, I can't confirm the count but there were indeed lots of yellows caught. My tally was 2 yellows and 2 lost due to tangles and a noob knot job. What I learn for the day (besides learn to tie a solid knot) was that on these anchor boat fishing situation with lots of people and current, it's probably best to cast your bait as far as you can to the side of the boat and let it drift to the back of the stern (everyone's bait drifts to the stern eventually). Follow your line of course. This way, chances are by the time your bait drift to the stern, it's far out and not bunched up tangled up with other people. I see lots of people casting from the back of the stern ended up in a tangled mess. Maybe this is a common knowledge, maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but I thought it's worth sharing.

There were good amount of shenanigans went on the boat too. One guys caught a bird, flew it as a kite for a good while, Mitch yelled at em, good laugh had by all. Some guy put his fish in the wrong sack, started to argue with Mitch on how many were his, Mitch yelled at em. I don't think the guy was pleased. The boat was on the move and a guy got hit with a jig (not suppose to be fishing!!!). Landed a good size yellow being the only person had line in the water. I wasn't sure if there were any Mitch yelling this time since I wasn't near the bridge, but the opportunity certainly was there.
Nice report!!!!! Glad your getting them, by the way did you meet DockRat on the trip???? lol I'm getting ready to jump on the Gail Force right now. Limited load of 20 people!!!! I love Mitch and the Southern Cal but it looks like the crowds on the boat is here to stay!!!! I still got 2 more groupons that expire in Sept, so hit me up and let's go fishing!!!!

Egster
08-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Nice report!!!!! Glad your getting them, by the way did you meet DockRat on the trip???? lol I'm getting ready to jump on the Gail Force right now. Limited load of 22 people!!!! I love Mitch and the Southern Cal but it looks like the crowd on the boat is here to stay!!!! I still got 2 more groupons that expire in Sept, so hit me up and let's go fishing!!!!

No, I havn't figure out who's who on the forum yet. I should've PM you about the trip, then again, I wasn't completely sure about going till the morning. We'll definitely make good use of that 2 groupons of yours.

DockRat
08-12-2015, 06:58 PM
I was there. Red Greg Noll surfboards shirt and a camo hat with a camo neck flap.
It was fun but the no chumming do to lack of bait was a bummer.

1 for 4, one was sawed off by someones braid, 1 bad hookset that popped.
9 beers and felt no pain :Beer Toast:

They had over 80 on the am wed.
DR

DockRat
08-12-2015, 07:03 PM
BTW when he moved after the first spot nobody was hooked up for a while.
He uses the binos and was trying to get us back on the fish.
You are correct by casting out far out to the side and hope you have a good bait swimming away.
DR