PDA

View Full Version : kayak fishfinder?

fishfinder
08-10-2015, 10:38 AM
i want to order a fishfinder for my new kayak, and know I want a transducer that reads through the hull. do they all do that/ or do I have to find a special one? recommendations?

parkermann2
08-10-2015, 12:46 PM
They all read through the hulls but there needs to be no air whatsoever in between the transducer and the water. You can use marine goop or duct seal. I found that a thin layer of duct seal works best. And duct seal is 2$ at home depot http://m.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Duct-Seal-Compound-Plug-DS-110/100212441 by the way it's in the electrical department by the light bulbs. It was kinda hard to find and I walked around for a while before finding it.

As for fish finders I have a loweance elite 4 chirp. It's about 300$ The gps is great to have Especially if you are going to fish saltwater at all. I have been in 500+ feet of water and it still reads the bottom

fishfinder
08-11-2015, 07:40 AM
They all read through the hulls but there needs to be no air whatsoever in between the transducer and the water. You can use marine goop or duct seal. I found that a thin layer of duct seal works best. And duct seal is 2$ at home depot http://m.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-Duct-Seal-Compound-Plug-DS-110/100212441 by the way it's in the electrical department by the light bulbs. It was kinda hard to find and I walked around for a while before finding it.

As for fish finders I have a loweance elite 4 chirp. It's about 300$ The gps is great to have Especially if you are going to fish saltwater at all. I have been in 500+ feet of water and it still reads the bottom

thanks for the info. big help.

fishfinder
08-11-2015, 07:54 AM
I just thought of another question. what about flipping the kayak with the fishfinder on it. are they all waterproof

angler_yak
08-15-2015, 04:45 PM
I have a Humminbird 153 FF installed on my yak and my transducer in a scupper hole. If you can install the transducer where it is actually on the water you will get better readings. Do you have a sit on top or a sit inside yak?

fishfinder
08-16-2015, 07:43 AM
I have a Humminbird 153 FF installed on my yak and my transducer in a scupper hole. If you can install the transducer where it is actually on the water you will get better readings. Do you have a sit on top or a sit inside yak?

I have a sit on top.