PDA

View Full Version : Missing Kayaker at Lake Skinner 8/9/15

Kojak5150
08-09-2015, 07:23 PM
I was wondering if there was an update to this??

http://patch.com/california/murrieta/sheriffs-department-conducting-search-missing-kayaker-0?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&utm_term=police+%26+fire&utm_campaign=recirc&utm_content=aol

P.A.W.
08-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Not much. A forum member phoned me from the water around 4:30 and said they red flagged the place. I was going to go tomorrow but they may still be closed in the morning.

Harley51
08-10-2015, 09:37 AM
It's closed today. Not sure when they will open. Hopefully tomorrow. Pat PM Me.

P.A.W.
08-10-2015, 02:00 PM
It's closed today. Not sure when they will open. Hopefully tomorrow. Pat PM Me.

Done......

Harley51
08-10-2015, 04:07 PM
They found the missing kayak-er. The lake will open on Tuesday. Pat hope to see you there.

Askwhy
08-10-2015, 05:24 PM
They found the missing kayak-er. The lake will open on Tuesday. Pat hope to see you there.

I would call before you go out most likely it will be closed.

BALLERONBUDGET
08-10-2015, 06:00 PM
The body of a kayaker -- missing since his vessel capsized during a church outing at Lake Skinner on Sunday, Aug. 9 -- was recovered Monday by divers from the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department.

The man was identified by members of his church and the Sheriff’s Office as Benjamin Lucas Pedro, a Guatemalan immigrant who lived and worked in Fallbrook.

“It looks like a bad accident, a terrible accident,” said Sgt. Robert Spivacke of the Riverside Sheriff’s Office.
The body of a kayaker -- missing since his vessel capsized during a church outing at Lake Skinner on Sunday, Aug. 9 -- was recovered Monday by divers from the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department.

The man was identified by members of his church and the Sheriff’s Office as Benjamin Lucas Pedro, a Guatemalan immigrant who lived and worked in Fallbrook.

“It looks like a bad accident, a terrible accident,” said Sgt. Robert Spivacke of the Riverside Sheriff’s Office.

A cousin said Pedro was 19 or 20 years old. Authorities have not confirmed his age.

The kayak carrying Pedro, a youth leader at his church, capsized around 3:15 p.m. Sunday. Spivacke said one of the employees at the marina near Ramp 1 saw the struggle and took a boat out to the scene but Pedro was nowhere to be found.

The kayak, which Spivacke said was not damaged, was equipped with a life jacket but Pedro apparently wasn’t wearing it.

The body was recovered around 12:30 p.m. Monday in about 20-25 feet of water by the Underwater Search and Recovery Team.

About two dozen members of his church, a Mas Que Vencedores congregation from Fallbrook, were briefed on the discovery at 2:15 p.m.

Some members held each other for support. Others were crying. A few expressed concerns about the safety procedures in place at the lake, saying there should have been someone on hand to save him.

“They should shut this place down,” said church member Jose Espinoza, looking at the placid water of the lake with eyes rimmed by tears.

The lake was closed to public access on Monday while the search was conducted. During that time, church members watched the proceedings from the parking lot near Ramp 1. At one point, they joined hands and formed a prayer circle to request support for his family. The congregation’s pastor, Jose Nava Sr., led the prayer but other members joined in, creating a wall of sound flecked with cries and sobs.

“His mother needs that strength,” said Jose Nava Jr., the pastor’s son.

Esteban Gonzalez, a member of Pedro’s church who participated in the Sunday outing, said all of the other church members rented boats for their time on the lake but Pedro wanted to try a kayak.

“He wanted to do it by himself,” he said.

Gonzalez said Pedro was following along behind the group of boats. No one in the group saw the kayak flip over. When they looked back, he was gone.

A fire engine crew conducted a preliminary search, then turned over the case to the sheriff’s helicopter crew and dive team. The search was halted when darkness fell, but scuba divers went back into the lake early Monday.

Lake Skinner is owned by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. The Riverside County Parks and Open-Space District leases the land around the lake for recreation and contracts out marina services.

A cousin said Pedro was 19 or 20 years old. Authorities have not confirmed his age.

The kayak carrying Pedro, a youth leader at his church, capsized around 3:15 p.m. Sunday. Spivacke said one of the employees at the marina near Ramp 1 saw the struggle and took a boat out to the scene but Pedro was nowhere to be found.

The kayak, which Spivacke said was not damaged, was equipped with a life jacket but Pedro apparently wasn’t wearing it.

The body was recovered around 12:30 p.m. Monday in about 20-25 feet of water by the Underwater Search and Recovery Team.

About two dozen members of his church, a Mas Que Vencedores congregation from Fallbrook, were briefed on the discovery at 2:15 p.m.

Some members held each other for support. Others were crying. A few expressed concerns about the safety procedures in place at the lake, saying there should have been someone on hand to save him.

“They should shut this place down,” said church member Jose Espinoza, looking at the placid water of the lake with eyes rimmed by tears.

The lake was closed to public access on Monday while the search was conducted. During that time, church members watched the proceedings from the parking lot near Ramp 1. At one point, they joined hands and formed a prayer circle to request support for his family. The congregation’s pastor, Jose Nava Sr., led the prayer but other members joined in, creating a wall of sound flecked with cries and sobs.

“His mother needs that strength,” said Jose Nava Jr., the pastor’s son.

Esteban Gonzalez, a member of Pedro’s church who participated in the Sunday outing, said all of the other church members rented boats for their time on the lake but Pedro wanted to try a kayak.

“He wanted to do it by himself,” he said.

Gonzalez said Pedro was following along behind the group of boats. No one in the group saw the kayak flip over. When they looked back, he was gone.

A fire engine crew conducted a preliminary search, then turned over the case to the sheriff’s helicopter crew and dive team. The search was halted when darkness fell, but scuba divers went back into the lake early Monday.

Lake Skinner is owned by the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. The Riverside County Parks and Open-Space District leases the land around the lake for recreation and contracts out marina services.

BALLERONBUDGET
08-10-2015, 06:05 PM
MUST WE REMIND SAFETY TO ANY WATERSPORT WE LOVE???? FISHERMAN/DIVERS/PASSENGERS/BOATERS ... unfortunately it happens year round and can happen anywhere/anytime . I personally know events and acquaintances it affected over the years

CONDOLENCES

Kojak5150
08-10-2015, 06:07 PM
It is unfortunate that this individual lost his life. But he should of been wearing a life jacket, especially if he does not know how to swim. Many people do not understand how dangerous water can be, swift moving or stationary lake. My son does not know how to swim either, but when we go out in the boat he has his life jacket on before he even walks down to the boat docks.

trail blazer
08-10-2015, 06:36 PM
My only comment I have to say about this is about the THEY SHOULD SHUT THIS PLACE DOWN comment.

Next time some one dies in a car crash someone should close that road.

DEVOREFLYER
08-10-2015, 06:37 PM
During my years in Search & Rescue with the SBSO my worst days were when a search became a recovery. Even someone with good swimming skills can fatigue quickly when the clothing they are wearing gets water logged. Out on the water without wearing a PFD when boating or fishing solo is an accident/tragedy waiting to happen. Even wearing a PFD when your clothing is wet makes it almost impossible to get back into the boat without help.

Askwhy
08-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Trail blazer
I agree 100% with you on that comment and on the comment about someone from the lake should of been there to save him is totally unjust .
I was there and staff was on it within secs
That's an unfair statement. There are certain responsibilities adults need to take on themselves. Hence a non-swimmer....wear a life vest.

cutbait
08-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Lakes fault obviously...

They have a responsibility to save those who cannot swim and refuse to wear personal protective vests.

Since the topic is now open, perhaps an on hand snake bite expert for potential bites. They should also look into a dermatologist for those sun burns and protect everyone.

The list goes on.

Skinner is in deep do do.... I don't think they even have suffecient staff incase of typhoon safety, earthquake prevention, tornado warnings, fire watch, etc etc

old pudd fisher
08-10-2015, 08:00 PM
Lakes fault obviously...

They have a responsibility to save those who cannot swim and refuse to wear personal protective vests.

Since the topic is now open, perhaps an on hand snake bite expert for potential bites. They should also look into a dermatologist for those sun burns and protect everyone.

The list goes on.

Skinner is in deep do do.... I don't think they even have suffecient staff incase of typhoon safety, earthquake prevention, tornado warnings, fire watch, etc etc That's how it be these days and yes the list goes on.

DEVOREFLYER
08-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Paging the law offices of "Dewey Cheatum and Howe" paging...........

ela
08-10-2015, 10:21 PM
My only comment I have to say about this is about the THEY SHOULD SHUT THIS PLACE DOWN comment.

Next time some one dies in a car crash someone should close that road. I have a feeling Larry H Parker is getting a call real soon.

P.A.W.
08-11-2015, 06:53 AM
Paging the law offices of "Dewey Cheatum and Howe" paging...........

Hey Moe! Yes it is a tragic loss for the families, however my first thought was Darwin. They hand a non-swimmer a vest and he says "Nah". How is that the lake personnel's fault? What about those members of the group who were boating with him? Why didn't they help? Follow the money. They were a church group. I hope they take solace there and not in a courtroom.

BassinPLS
08-11-2015, 07:30 AM
What has this Country gotten to when the stupid idiots think they can make someone else responsible for their own stupidity?!! I guess there are many lawyers and left wing judges needing to feed at the pigsty. Just saying...

Kojak5150
08-11-2015, 07:40 PM
P.A.W. Darwin was my thoughts too. I wonder if he had to sign some kind of waiver when he rented the kayak??? Also I hope what happened to Irvine Lake does not happen here and we cannot have private boats on Lake Skinner.

BentRod
08-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Will another one of our lakes be closing? F***

muskyman
08-11-2015, 08:44 PM
don't forget to add a scorpion handler to the list of things they need at skinner. Those aggressive little buggers are everywhere there. Gotta watch it when your night fishing there ..................

NFCD I
08-12-2015, 08:50 PM
This can't be the only drowning at Skinner. Any information on what happened in the past?

Askwhy
08-13-2015, 03:11 AM
This can't be the only drowning at Skinner. Any information on what happened in the past?

According to the article in the paper skinner has had a few others in the past this is not the first one.

P.A.W.
08-13-2015, 08:00 AM
I've heard tell of one drowning at the inlet back in the early days of the lake.

seal
08-13-2015, 09:19 AM
Silverwood it's a good bet of one per year.

fishrdi30
08-13-2015, 02:43 PM
It doesn't matter if you are an expert swimmer if you hit your head on something while going overboard!
A life jacket would be your only chance! - All Boaters should understand this!

muskyman
08-13-2015, 07:26 PM
I remember a while back a lake skinner regular of whom they found the boat doing donuts, and he was no where to be found. Then they found his body later and if my memory serves me correct, his life jacket was strapped to his seat.

fastjim2000
08-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Not to be the mean guy here but, if the group he was with knew he couldn't swim AND didn't make him wear a life jacket than i think they are more neglagent than the lake or staff ever could be. I mean looking at it that way its almost criminal. The comment about closing the lake just infuriates me.

cutbait
08-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Nope, your all thinking illogically.

The lake is either a localized government agency or part of the State Water project.

Either way the government runs the lake and that fact alone makes it the lakes staff fault..

Gone are the days where our government ceases to protect us and look out for our interests despite how we feel about them.

Good riddance and I'm happy to usher in the new Era in america where we disn't have a paid government employee deciding what's best for us and watching over