PDA

View Full Version : Fishing from the past few weeks

Hotbite909
08-09-2015, 07:16 PM
During this summer I wanted to try a different style of fishing so catfish was the plan. I originally started with Irvine from a boat but had limited success at that lake because I did not put in enough time there to get it figured out. Since private boating is no more for now, I decided to go over to SARL and try my luck. I started with early morning session into the afternoon with no luck. Metered fish suspending and a whole lot of bait fish in the mix but could not get a decent bite. But I did learn somethings about the lake. Then weeks later I decided to fish the mid- day session. I got a few bite in the late afternoon which amounted to about a 50% strike versus catch rate and took a few home on livers and mackerel. I did also try other baits later as weeks passed by to key in on the bites.
I then decide to go later on the night session because the fish where hitting in the evening and it was too hot to just sit and wait for the bite to happen. When the sun goes down the bite is on! What we use for tackle was 6 to 10 lbs test and it did not make any difference what line was used. My set up was a Carolina rig and fly line set up with Owner #4 Mutu light circle hooks and I did not have to set the hook when the fish hit. The fish always hooked themselves in the corner of the mouth. But a smaller piece of bait was the key in catching most of the fish because I do not think the fish had a big enough mouth for big bait. They are all the average size stocker which is ok. The success rate has been real good lately with limits so I have been taking a few other people lately for the bite. Here is a couple of pictures from the last few weeks.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj617/thegecko12/catfish%207-7_zpsxczibfxe.jpg (http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/thegecko12/media/catfish%207-7_zpsxczibfxe.jpg.html)

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj617/thegecko12/catfish%208-7_zpsffngvops.jpg (http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/thegecko12/media/catfish%208-7_zpsffngvops.jpg.html)

jhernandez25
08-10-2015, 08:28 AM
Nice write up, but i think what we are all wondering well at least me lol, is LOCATIONS lol I have tried SARL but with no luck well so far this season I have only caught 1 at SARL and a Total of 20+ at Irvine but like you mentioned with the ban of private boats at Irvine lake the fight for shore line gets interesting, the last few times I have gone I always have someone cast about a feet to two feet away from my rod and of course we have gotten tangled i have also gone as far as to have to cut some's line because the fish tangled in between his and my line. SARL has alot more shore line and really want to zero in that lake. Thanks again for a good write up.

Hotbite909
08-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Nice write up, but i think what we are all wondering well at least me lol, is LOCATIONS lol I have tried SARL but with no luck well so far this season I have only caught 1 at SARL and a Total of 20+ at Irvine but like you mentioned with the ban of private boats at Irvine lake the fight for shore line gets interesting, the last few times I have gone I always have someone cast about a feet to two feet away from my rod and of course we have gotten tangled i have also gone as far as to have to cut some's line because the fish tangled in between his and my line. SARL has alot more shore line and really want to zero in that lake. Thanks again for a good write up.

The only thing I can say is that fishing from shore is different from a boat. Boating gives me more access to lake area and water depth. But I can give you some info on depth. I did not go any deeper than 30 ft. The fish were not any deeper than that depth in the day. They just suspended in the water until later and then they come up shallow to feed in the evening. So possibly the fish are up shallow in the evening close to shore. Not 75 yards out where everyone is trying to cast their line. Since everyone compares the main lake as being a, “ pit in the ground” and has no structure surrounding the lake I would try to key in on the man made structure of the lake from shore. The boat dock, inlets, outlets, curves in the lake and shallow to deep areas. That is where schools of catfish hang out together. Try not to stay in one area too long if you are not getting any bites. Try some fresher bait like shrimp, livers or mackerel. Not that frozen old stuff from the local wal mart. You can get some decent bait from Ranch 99 market. You probably know all of this info about catfish but I always see this same guy on shore moving around until he finds the bite and he kills it! He just puts in the work!

Mr T-rex
08-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Nice bro definitely looks like you have the lake dialed in! good job once again and keep slaying buddy
See you out on the water

Mr T-rex
08-11-2015, 12:50 PM

Location is tough because catfish tend to school up & honestly do not move around much so finding them definitely is key
If you are fishing from shore and do not get bit with in 30 mins its time to move and find the hot spot.
I fish from a tube so i just troll back & forth till the kitties decide to bite