PDA

View Full Version : Renting a skiff out of Newport Harbor Tomorrow

camdozer
08-07-2015, 02:56 PM
Hey guys, used to do this with my stepdad as a kid pretty often, but it's been ages since I've fished this harbor, and I had a few questions.

First of all, I am bringing my wife and a friend, neither of who are what you'd call "fishermen." I'm really hoping to put them on some fish and show them a good time, especially my friend who I'd love to turn into a fishing buddy. My wife's great of course, but a dude needs another dude to pass the time on the water with and talk **** lol.

Any spots in the bay that are particularly productive? Spotties and hallies would probably be the species I'd like to target, and of course the occasional WSB from the hatchery would be cool, too. I remember the spots we'd hit when I was a kid and I imagine there's no reason they shouldn't still be good, but things change in 15 years lol. PM answers to protect the fishery from the bucket brigade lurkers if you care to help out. Inb4 "go online and look..." I have, but I'm sure most of the real nice spots aren't readily available by a simple googling. :) Plus not all the hidden structure can be seen without sonar, in spite of Google Earth's best efforts lol.

Also, do the skiffs still come with live bait? We got small dines and decent sized chovies every time when I was growing up, just not sure if it's still standard. I know that will be the easiest fishing for my wife and our friend.

I'm putting them on simple spinning gear w/ 6 lb. mono spooled up, and prolly 10 lb. leader. Thinking of tying on 1/0 circle hooks for them to protect the fish from the inevitable gut hookings that two noobies are more than capable of.

Any other tips are much appreciated, and of course wishes of good luck :)