PDA

View Full Version : Picking at boils

Stumpknocker
08-06-2015, 01:42 PM
My pal Bob and I headed out for a short morning session, as he had a medical appointment to get to...planned on leaving the lake by 10. Since the last place my tin boat was wet was at Lake Pyramid Nevada in May, I had to go through inspection, which ate into our fishing time a bit as well, but a short session is better than none...armed with the latest info from Trailblazer's post from yesterday (thanks TB!), we headed right up the ski arm and found a bunch of boats chasing boils...stopped a bit short of where the fleet had surrounded a pretty good long lasting boil, and started casting at the single boils in our area...couldn't get them to hit topwater, but pretty soon I got one on a spoon reeling straight up...nice fat schoolie...kept at it with the spoon and got another one casting out, sinking to the bottom, and ripping it back
http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g402/yobobscott/dos.jpg (http://s1100.photobucket.com/user/yobobscott/media/dos.jpg.html)
Then the sun came over the ridge and the boils pretty much died out...we headed down to the buoy line, threw some sardine chunks for nothing, but eventually some LMB came up off the point nearby...I managed to farm a couple of those on the spoon when they jumped and threw it, but Bob landed one on his spoon, and lost another on a nightcrawler. By then it was 10...couldn't stay for the mid-day bite TB mentioned, but I'm happy with enough fish for dinner for my wife and I, and Bob and his wife.

trail blazer
08-06-2015, 03:00 PM
WTG on the short session stumpy,,

Heres a little legal scam you might try sometime,,,,,,,,,The quaga inspection station at pyramid opens 1 hour before Castaic or the mid open,,,,right now the mid inspection opens at 5 am,,,,,,,,,,

I would think that they have bands in the quagga inspect station also,,,,,,,,,,or I would think that the paper that they at the quag inspect station at the mid would work at Castaic also,,,,,

I just thought of all this but it should work.

Get inspected 1 hr before staic opens at the mid inspection station, get a band Or use the paper they give you and you wont have to wait for staic to open , then get in line there to get inspected, while the boils are raging away on the lake down below you,,,

Next time someone goes to staic or the mid we should find out for sure IF THIS WOULD WORK,,,,,,,,seems like they should have bands in the pmid inspection trl,,,,,not just in the trl inside the lake where you get rebanded

TB

cutbait
08-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Good work stumpy

Stumpknocker
08-06-2015, 04:02 PM
WTG on the short session stumpy,,

Heres a little legal scam you might try sometime,,,,,,,,,The quaga inspection station at pyramid opens 1 hour before Castaic or the mid open,,,,right now the mid inspection opens at 5 am,,,,,,,,,,

I would think that they have bands in the quagga inspect station also,,,,,,,,,,or I would think that the paper that they at the quag inspect station at the mid would work at Castaic also,,,,,

I just thought of all this but it should work.

Get inspected 1 hr before staic opens at the mid inspection station, get a band Or use the paper they give you and you wont have to wait for staic to open , then get in line there to get inspected, while the boils are raging away on the lake down below you,,,

Next time someone goes to staic or the mid we should find out for sure IF THIS WOULD WORK,,,,,,,,seems like they should have bands in the pmid inspection trl,,,,,not just in the trl inside the lake where you get rebanded

TB
Thanks TB...sounds like it could work!

Good work stumpy
Thanks CB...nothing like what you guys have been doing, but good enough for my first time back chasing stripers in a while...

trail blazer
08-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Stumpy, Iv got a feeling that the 1st day that you can devote solely to boil fishing will be a wide open striper kill

T/B

Stumpknocker
08-07-2015, 05:09 AM
Looking forward to that...no inspection next time, got the Castaic chastity belt (tag), so I can squeeze into the fleet as it's starting up.

TroutOnly
08-07-2015, 07:11 AM
start at the inlet next time , the water inlet area is the hottest spot ,even with a little flow the shad and stripers love the new water comin in............

Stumpknocker
08-07-2015, 09:05 AM
start at the inlet next time , the water inlet area is the hottest spot ,even with a little flow the shad and stripers love the new water comin in............

Thanks for the tip TO...I'm always tempted to go there...sometimes do...but always have the feeling that I'm going to be the guy who gets a ticket for crossing the imaginary buoy line...

TroutOnly
08-07-2015, 04:51 PM
last trip for me we had a hour and half of boil fishing unspoiled by the knuckleheads............

Stumpknocker
08-07-2015, 05:42 PM
last trip for me we had a hour and half of boil fishing unspoiled by the knuckleheads............

Few things are better than having boiling stripers in front of you and no other boats around...

CaCondor
08-09-2015, 10:29 AM
Boy o Boy Stumpy! Those are nice looking stripers! Somewhat larger than I recall then being. Thanks for the fun morning!

Stumpknocker
08-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Boy o Boy Stumpy! Those are nice looking stripers! Somewhat larger than I recall then being. Thanks for the fun morning!

That's the fish-eye lens on my camera :LOL: Glad you had fun!