PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl and Record Players

DarkShadow
08-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Anybody here still listen to vinyl? (And not because you're a hipster)

If so, what kind of record player/turntable are you using?

I have a garage full of the most random albums, mostly stuff from hip hop's 'golden era,'(Beastie Boys, ATCQ, Pharcyde, etc) but also have quite a few reggae (Trojan dub collections, etc), classic rock (Floyd, Skynyrd, The Dead), jazz (Mingus, Coleman) and other random stuff (Wizard of Oz Soundtrack, all of Tool's albums).

I have 2 Technic 1200 M3Ds that I pulled outta storage a few weeks ago, and happily find out they were both in pristine condition. Apparently they're built llike tanks. (Then I checked eBay to find out I could fetch a pretty penny for both since they are no longer in production) I use two Shure M44-7 cartridges and a Vestax PMC-05 as my mixer.

http://i.imgur.com/lzujd3G.jpg

City Dad
08-06-2015, 11:55 AM
the only vinyl I own is my pants

DarkShadow
08-06-2015, 02:07 PM
the only vinyl I own is my pants

You said they were leather.

:-\

I cannot trust what you say from here on out.

TUNAVIC
08-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Yeah my wife insists on keeping a record player,nothing as nice as your system but good enough to listen to what she likes,oldies,and stuff like Sinatra,Dino,ect,ect.

Cya Tuna Vic

Dci4me
08-06-2015, 06:38 PM
I do not have my own turntable, but probably should. I have a small collection of vinyls, mostly my little brothers band, yeah, he puts his music out on vinyl and cassette. He has an inexpensive Audio Technica turntable, but a killer PA that we listen to vinyl on. My favorite is listening to a live recording of Yes "Round About" after a whiskey or two, lying on my back on the floor, looking up at the ceiling, and of course, playing air bass.

Stinkbait
08-06-2015, 07:34 PM
I got a Technics 1200 too. Find out they are worth several hunny on the bay. Great quality sound in vinyl.

My original Bob Marley records sound way better than "remastered" CDs (just one example). Records have a more original, earthy, thick and full sound. For some technical reason vinyl is the most accurate and full sounding copy of the original recording. More tracks to recording??? dunno??

old pudd fisher
08-06-2015, 08:57 PM
We had one of these in our living room and my dad had a bunch of Bing Crosby records. I liked surfer music like the Ventures and Dick Dale and the Deltones.46771

TUNAVIC
08-06-2015, 10:32 PM
We had one of these in our living room and my dad had a bunch of Bing Crosby records. I liked surfer music like the Ventures and Dick Dale and the Deltones.46771

Hey Pudd fisher,we had one just like that,my stepfather bought it at the Pomona fair,over 45yrs ago!
Cya Tuna Vic

DockRat
08-07-2015, 07:09 AM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff259/allhallowsday/HERBALPERTwhippedcream.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/user/allhallowsday/media/HERBALPERTwhippedcream.jpg.html)

fly addict
08-07-2015, 10:02 PM
I have a Thorens 125 MK 2with a SME 3009 tonearm and a Dynavector 10x moving coil cartridge, my receiver is a Yamaha Stereo 2020 and the speakers are JBLs Century 100s, all from the mid-70s and still going strong. The cartridge today sell for about $550. Vintage vinyl rules.

Lady Quagga
08-08-2015, 01:03 PM
I have 2 Technic 1200 M3Ds that I pulled outta storage a few weeks ago, and happily find out they were both in pristine condition. Apparently they're built llike tanks. (Then I checked eBay to find out I could fetch a pretty penny for both since they are no longer in production)

If you ever sell those turntables, I will gut you like a trout.

And you know DS, we grew up on vinyl. My vinyl is focused on 80's and 90's of many genre's, but my mom's stash has a lot of old school mariachi and jazz. They are dying a slow death in her garage - one day you and I will plan a mission to "liberate" them.

DarkShadow
08-10-2015, 03:41 PM
If you ever sell those turntables, I will gut you like a trout.

I'll sell 'em to you.

Regular price, $800 for both, including the stains.

But for you, $1200, signed too. I'll throw in my limited release of Spottieottiedopaliscious in there.