PDA

View Full Version : Monte Carlo 8/5 PM Half Day Fish are There!

lagunaCOCONUT
08-06-2015, 07:29 AM
My first party boat trip in a real long time and decided to take the Monte Carlo for a PM half day out of 22nd Street with a couple of friends. Checked in, picked up my boarding pass to be greeted by whipping winds and could not get a spot on the stern because anglers aboard the morning AM were doing a turn-around on the PM. Got a few spots for my friends and I on the starboard side and with a full load of 76 anglers and a bunch of kids, we leave the dock and arrive at San Pedro Bait with blowing wind and white caps on the inside of the breakwater. Picked up a nice load of sardines but they were all just usual sized at best with a few larger mixed in and we were off to meet the "fleet". Arrived at the Shoe and captain searched a bit and settled in the group along with the Victory, and several others including private boaters. Preferred outfit is flyline sardines with a 3/8 to 3/4 sliding egg sinker on 20lb. First cast, I stick a 30" cuda and bounce aboard. Next few hours was just a giant mess. The current was so strong and the wind was just as strong. You ad that to the equation of 70 plus fly lined lines and you can imagine... all the lines headed straight for the stern. The anglers for the most part worked well together in harmony and talking to keep the lines from tangles and the crew was pretty good on getting the tangles out. All in all, 22nd Street Landing and the Monte Carlo are a great team. Captain was great with putting us on the fish and the crew was good. Had one of the best boat burgers around and I was a happy angler! It was nice to get out on the water! Fish are there and with the economy as crappy as it is, I don't blame the boats for taking capacity on local 1/2 day trips. It was just a bit sad to see new anglers and kids try to fish around the 76 adults and crew. 65+ fishing lines all headed downhill to the stern makes it really tough. Still a fun day on the water with 20+ Yellows and 80+ Cudas on board. For the most part the seals are around but did not really pose any issues aside from biting your sardine in half. Again, props to the crew and captain of the Monte Carlo! One of my favorite SoCal landings and still is!

Jig-Guy
08-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Twenty Secnd St. One of my favorit SoCal landings X2!

Frankenfish
08-06-2015, 03:56 PM
All my reels have at least spectra backing, but Im considering loading a couple of my older reels w. Straight mono 30 and 40 lb. to fish these crowded party boats. If i get in a bad tangle...i have no qualms cutting mono even w. A lot out...there especially if they are not line shy.

TUNAVIC
08-06-2015, 04:41 PM
Wow 76 folks,that's a load for sure,well nice to see the fish are hanging around,won't be able to go myself till next week,hope they hang!

Cya Tuna Vic

tpfishnfool
08-06-2015, 06:16 PM
76 peeps ! Yikes !

Jig-Guy
08-07-2015, 12:07 AM
OK, I like twenty second st. 76 peeps not for me. I take overnights most of the time. Most loads 28 to 35 that I can handle.

I use IzoreLine XXX an do not worry about cut off's & tangles. If I am using my jigs I do care alot.