PDA

View Full Version : Freedom 7-23-2015: Rain checks issed

Ambassadorhawg
07-23-2015, 10:51 AM
We attempted to get out onto the tuna grounds last night but with the warm water, bait is an issue. We did make a stop at the bait dock to load up on chum sized anchovies. The plan after that was to meet the bait boat out on the water for some fresh, well acclimated (to the warm water) bait. Our boat did have a small amount of beat up sardines in one tank before we left the dock but it was not enough to fish with. We followed the bait boat all night long in the Seal Beach area, as did other sport boats. Nothing. Some where around or just past dawn, we called it a trip and headed back to the barn.

Lots of pissed off fisherman. I hope that they consider the fact that the guys on the boat worked all night long trying to get bait for us.

Rain checks were issued. While I am OK with this, a refund to my credit card would have been appreciated. The only snag in this ordeal is that Captain Nick clearly stated over the P.A. that we would all get refunded payments. But the crew handed out rain checks as we exited the boat.

I stayed back and listened to the arguments from the anglers to the office staff in the landing about getting refunds. I suppose anyone who whined enough could probably get a refund but the office did not want to give refunds. Poor communication between the boat captain and the office. Oh, well.

I will return. heck, it's El Nino, of course I will return!!! I like the way the Freedom fishes.

I did not like the fact that we had a full 45 passenger load, though so for me, the boat returning was a somewhat of a blessing.

We may have been doomed from the start though because as we were loading, an intoxicated gentleman fell down the stairs and broke his ankle. It swelled up like a cantelope. Bad Karma, right there.

I hope that everyone understands that the boat used up a bunch of fuel and that the crew worked basically through the night trying to get us set up with good bait.

It's called "fishing", not "catching", after all. There are no guarantees...

soimthatguy
07-23-2015, 11:22 AM
Nothing you can if you can't make bait. I'd rather be given a rain check then to be out there "trying" to fish. It's a bit of an inconvenience but that's just the nature of fishing.

flyhigh123
07-23-2015, 11:34 AM
seems like the captain did the right thing and a favor. he could have still gone out with the crappy bait and said, it is what it is, and fished with chovies...

Nuoc Mam
07-23-2015, 01:55 PM
Reminds of people paying good $$$ for a good boxing match with all the hype and how stellar of a match this will be, then in the end got disappointed and wanted their money back.

Agreed with above post about the capt. doing the right thing about not fishing with the crappy bait. Let's turn it around a bit, the capt decides to fish with the crappy bait, gets out there and tries his best and in the end, the trip ends up catching no fish. Still would have pissed off fisherman that probably wants a refund.

You can't always please everyone, that's what I learn.