PDA

View Full Version : Shimano torium

Perris_holic
07-21-2015, 09:03 PM
I'm thinking about grabbing a shimano torium 30 hga reel to target yellowtail and tuna. I was just wondering if anyone on here has any info or experience with these reels.

bobabocker
07-22-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking about grabbing a shimano torium 30 hga reel to target yellowtail and tuna. I was just wondering if anyone on here has any info or experience with these reels.

if you are local fishing you wont need the 30, i have a 16 and its handled everything in local waters quite easily. if you run into a world record yft or a yellow you might have an issue other than that anything up to 100lbs will more than likely be landed on either the 16/20s...

Perris_holic
07-22-2015, 01:28 PM
What do you have your 16 spooled up with? I will start researching the 20 and probably pick that up instead of a 30. Thanks for the info.

bobabocker
07-23-2015, 03:58 PM
What do you have your 16 spooled up with? I will start researching the 20 and probably pick that up instead of a 30. Thanks for the info.

65lb braid and whatever topshot i feel like at the moment... is usually 25-30 cxx

cutbait
07-23-2015, 06:35 PM
I like the Torium but IMO the Sealine is better. Casting and drags. ..

Plus people are giving those away

Perris_holic
07-23-2015, 07:42 PM
I have a diawa seagate that is pretty nice but I wanted add some shimano to my salt arsenal because I absolutely love my shimano core that I use for fresh water.

I like the Torium but IMO the Sealine is better. Casting and drags. ..

Plus people are giving those away

DockRat
07-25-2015, 11:09 AM
I have 2 Torium 14s. Love them.
Landed 2 Yellowtail @ 25lbs each.
Spooled with 40 Izorline.
20lb on the other one.

DockRat
07-25-2015, 07:19 PM
Don't think I'd use a 14 for tuna unless under 20lb fish.
Go with a 16 or 20.

Frankenfish
07-26-2015, 07:48 AM
I picked up a 16 and a 20 hga this year since i've had great luck w. a lot of tuna and yellowtail on my old 20 which is still a solid reel after about 8 years with the right maintenance. No tuna on them yet but some yellowtail, hopefully that changes soon. They're nice because they feel like a much smaller reel than the previous model, but the gearing is the same size. They are not the best casting reel tho straight out of the box imo. Nothing wrong with the 30hga since its probably only as wide as the old 20 if that. There's a lot of reports of a few bruiser bluefin, mixed in with smaller fish, if you are lucky enough to hook one, you will appreciate a little extra capacity of the 30. The only drawbacks with the new hga's tho is the clamp screws are a little small so if you are going to put them on a rod w. a fat deckhand style grip like an ulua or something, you might need to go aftermarket. I use a tiburon universal clamp for deckhand style rods...its just a much more solid mount than the stock clamp on this reel.