PDA

View Full Version : Perris in the rain 7/19

Baja1ab
07-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Had a wild hair to get out so me and a neighbor/fishing buddy hooked up the boat and decided to chance it and head for the lake. Living in Yucaipa we headed through San T Canyon and straight into a full blown flash flood. I'm talking fast water, mud, messy, cars stranded flash flood. It came so fast we really didn't have much more risk, if any, to continue as to turn back so we headed on through.

At the gate park rangers informed us that were we okay to launch by would have to leave immediately at the first sign of lightning. We decided that we had come so far so what the heck. Glad we did.

Started out in Bernsaconi Cove in about 5-10' tossing a spinnerbait for a couple then headed over to the tire area for a couple more. A little tricky with all the grass around but worked.

Moved out to about 10-12' and tossed a crankbait - first cast, first turn of the handle - boom! I'm on. Had a couple more on the same and then back to the spinner for a couple. Had lost a couple including one that started peeling off line like a friggin yellowtail and got me wrapped up in the grass. Finally pulled it up for salad, ugh!

My partner had similar luck on the same baits.

We got rain from about 4-5 and then about 7:30-8:15 - with a nice calm 3+ hours in between and only one other boat to share the lake with. All said, it was a fun afternoon and an interesting little adventure.

Joe

BassinPLS
07-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the report. First one I've seen in a while on Perris. I would rather fish in the rain than the wind any day!

Baja1ab
07-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Agreed! It was actually quite nice. I wore my lightweight Frogg Togg rain jacket, board shorts and flips. The temp was perfect, just a little wet, lol.