PDA

View Full Version : Valley Fish & Canals

tallan1976
10-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Hello all,

This is my first post but I am sure it won't be my last. I moved here from Washington a year an a half ago (I know, I know, "Why the hell would you ever leave Washington and move here??", right? My wife....)

Anyways, living in Patterson the fishing choices are not very abundant. You can either fish the slow and muddy San Joiquine or the canals. After seeing some of the So. Cal pics on this site I was curious if the N. Cal canals offer the same results for stripers and catfish? I see people fishing occasionally @ Sperry St but they are using 10' surf-casting equipment, so I am assuming they are just plunking for cats. If there are stripers up here also, is this the time of year that they typically run?

Also, is the Salmon run on the Tuolomne worth even trying? I see cars on the shoulder of HWY 132 between I-580 and 99 but I don't know what they are fishing for. In Wa, we use gobs of eggs, herring or sand shrimp for the kings. Is that the same here?

Basically, I am looking for any help on any fishing in Stanislauss Co. somewhat near Patterson. I am jonesing hardcore, not having hooked anything worth a crap in 18+ months. I don't have a boat, so it would have to be from shore. Any advice would be great.

Thanks-

BakoBassin
10-12-2007, 07:52 AM
You could fish the aqueduct which I believe isn't far from you. I imagine the stiper and catfishing would be as good if not better up there since you're closer to the Delta. I read on another board that the salmon haven't showed up yet.

You could also drive up and fish the Delta. It doesn't look too far from you.

I would also suggest getting yourself a kickboat. There is some incredible bass and striper fishing to be had on the delta and surrounding areas.

This was an "incidental" catch made a few days ago on the delta. He was rippin' a jerkbait for bass when this thing ate it...

http://www.calfishing.com/dc/user_files/6230-pic1_resize1.JPG

Those guys get into some good striper fishing all the time up there.

Troutman65
10-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Welcome to FN. Looking forward to reading your reports.

Troutman65

Fisher-of-Men
10-13-2007, 05:39 AM
That striper is a Bohemith! I hope ones that size start showing at Castaic after the Trout plants. :)

Fisher-of-Men