PDA

View Full Version : anyone surf fish around santa montica?

TimetoFish
07-18-2015, 08:34 PM
Whatsup guys i was curious if any of yall surf fished around santa montica or nearby beaches. I havnt surf fished in a while and thinking of driving down there and toss some squid out and try to get a ray or something. Any advice id appreciate!

bones
07-19-2015, 05:09 PM
If your looking to just soak some squid for rays and such I'd suggest hitting up Will Rogers north around the jetties just before dark. Much better chance of a solid hookup IMHO.

MasterFisherYY
07-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Check out Google maps and look for distinct wedges or troughs. I've had much luck at Santa Monica a few weeks back on perch, corbina, and croaker fishing North of the pier. Early morning or night depending on the tide for the day you'll want to fish incoming high tide. Try digging around for sand crab or buy some lugworms at your local tackle shop. If you want to chuck plastics I suppose a motor-oil grub would do just fine. The mackerel bite at Santa Monica pier has also been pretty consistent. Carolina rig with a 12in leader with a quarter ounce sinker should do the trick in the surf. Try fishing light, say 6-8lb test. Around the time of sunset is when the action picks up significantly. Hope this helps.