PDA

View Full Version : Hit Castaic on Sunday

camdozer
07-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Rented a boat from the landing, bought some bloodworms and lugworms from the tackle shop up there and headed straight to the buoy line for the striper bite. The guy told me at the tackle shop not to expect much if I didn't have fresh cut sardines, but that the lugworms were getting decent action too.

Get out there, and discover that the anchor rope was only like 25 feet long, and the wind was howling :( Drifted back and forth and back and forth for a couple hours with the worms in the water and no action, all the while watching another boat throwing cut bait and getting like 3 an hour :(

Decided it was time to just move on and try for some bass or catfish in some of the coves. No action there either, but I did land the greediest little bluegill I've ever seen who hit a spinner that was about half of his own body size, lol!

Despite the lack of action, my wife and I had a great time, caught some sunshine and a pleasant day on the water. I'll be going back, possibly this upcoming weekend, and trying to find a local asian market this week to pick up some fresh mackerels or sardines to try for stripers again. Also going to try to ask the guys at the landing if they have longer ropes for the anchors, lol.

trail blazer
07-13-2015, 11:19 AM
great job out there c,dozer,,,,,,,,,it just proves that the great outdoors is the real reason for fishing,,,

trail blazer

CrouchingNinjaHiddenFish
07-13-2015, 05:29 PM
good luck asking them for anything, your lucky if they give you enough seats for your asses, a couple times it was 3 of us and he refused to give us 3 seats until we started asking why and he finally gave in. it wasn't even crowded day. also with the anchor thing he will just tell you to bring your own from home.

good luck though! and nice blue gill!

dpaulus9
07-13-2015, 07:43 PM
i always brought my own anchor and rope when i use to rents boats there. you might want to check gallions market to see if he has sardines in stock.

millertime1982
07-14-2015, 06:10 AM
nice blue! i also heard gallions has fresh sometimes on saturdays. i always stop in in sundays and its all frozen. any idea how deep at the buoy line? just curious.

camdozer
07-14-2015, 09:13 AM
@TrailBlazer - Thanks for the encouragement! Tbh my wife helped alot in keeping my attitude positive all day, lol :)

@Crouching and Dpaulus - Yeah, I guess I'll have to pick up my own from now on when I go. Not the end of the world.

@Millertime - Honestly, I have no idea because I don't have a sonar/fishfinder. I have seen stuff online that says max depth of the whole lake is like 350 feet, but I don't know if that's at the buoy line, and with the water levels for the last few years I doubt that's even true anymore at any part of the lake.

Question for all of you guys though, what depth do the stripers typically hang out at? Are they like yellowtail, in the sense that they can chill at any depth and it's just a matter of finding them? I've seen some dudes saying flylining the cut bait is best, I've seen some saying just an 1/8 oz. splitshot works, and others saying put some good weight (like 1/2 oz) on a carolina rig...

I think next time I will try three rods, each at a different approximate depth and see which gets hit first, unless somebody has some local knowledge they can pass on :)

millertime1982
07-14-2015, 09:22 AM
camdozer im with you still trying to figure it out myself. i flyline cut bait. have caught 2 that way. if on a drift i put a split on there to help try and keep it down. ive been told 20-30 when warm. id like to see what info is out there as well.
BTW where is the buoy line at castiac? and was it packed?

camdozer
07-14-2015, 09:52 AM
The buoy line is at the very end of the boating/skiiing arm of the lake back by the other dam at the far northwest of the lake, and yeah it was pretty busy on Sunday morning. I imagine it's less pressured on a weekday if you can cut away from work.

millertime1982
07-14-2015, 11:21 AM
ok thanks!

ya pyramid was the same. when and if i make it out next i will definitely shoot for a week day.

dpaulus9
07-14-2015, 06:51 PM
dont get caught using 3 rods. only 2 rods and thats with a 2 rod stamp. try using florocarbon if baitfishing. flyline a bait and have one on the bottom. also buy a bag of frozen anchovies and cut 'em up and chum with them(also dont get caught lol)

camdozer
07-15-2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the heads up, dpaulus9. Just so you know, I am totally aware of the restrictions. To be more clear I would drop two lines and my wife or whoever else I'm with would drop one, all at different depths until we found their hangout :)

I didn't realize though that you aren't allowed to chum, so I'll keep my eyes peeled before chucking anything overboard.

Edit: My wife***

fishfinder
07-16-2015, 12:09 PM
can anyone tell me how deep it is at the bouy line now. last time I fished it, it was over 90'. probably way down now.