PDA

View Full Version : Any surf fly fishers / anglers out there use bait on hook ?

4sallypat
07-05-2015, 08:23 AM
I know for a devout fly angler, using bait - live or plastics would laugh or yell out at me but just wondering if any fly anglers use any bait casting bait on their fly lines ?:LOL:

Any surf fly fishers with success using bait or plastics ?

I have been doing some testing on the Pacific surf (OC to LA) and found that the best results are from using Berkley Power 2" sandworms or live sand crabs on a #2 or #4 hook.:Big Grin:

Here is my setup for the beach: 10wt Helios 9 footer w/ fast sinking RIO tip, mono leader & sandworm:

DarkShadow
07-06-2015, 02:05 PM
I know for a devout fly angler, using bait - live or plastics would laugh or yell out at me but just wondering if any fly anglers use any bait casting bait on their fly lines ?:LOL:

Any surf fly fishers with success using bait or plastics ?

I have been doing some testing on the Pacific surf (OC to LA) and found that the best results are from using Berkley Power 2" sandworms or live sand crabs on a #2 or #4 hook.:Big Grin:

Here is my setup for the beach: 10wt Helios 9 footer w/ fast sinking RIO tip, mono leader & sandworm:

Not that I don't mind a fly fisherman using bait, I just think it defeats the purpose of fly fishing, to be honest.

I can probably cast a sandworm of sand crab further, and have better line management using conventional gear, than trying to pull it off with a fly rod. I'd never fly line either of those baits, and would need a weight to keep it in the strike zone.

I use a fly rod because I can't cast a size 18 caddis with a spinning rod without necessitating the use of a clear plastic bubble, which defeats the entire purpose. I try not to do the opposite either.