PDA

View Full Version : Thought they don't exist in Silverwood?

Micropterus salmoides
06-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Caught this guy on a chatterbait.

parkermann2
06-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Where at silverwood is that picture taken? I know silverwood pretty well and I can't recognize where that picture is taken. I'm not saying it's not at silverwood but it doesn't look like silverwood to me

Jmac
06-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Wondering the same thing ^ Doesn't look like the Wood.

Jmac
06-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Actually I'm just gonna call BS on this post. No way there's smallies in there, I've spent enough time out there to know this is bogus.

parkermann2
06-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Jmac is right. Usually I'm not gullible with things on the internet but he is right this is not from the wood

sodapop
06-29-2015, 01:17 AM
Just curious what kind of fish is that?

Also fished the dock today at the Wood, which was really crowded, me and my son caught two 2 pound stripers.
The dock was packed and we lost two other fish to the cables, which really suck. All fish caught on anchovies but shad
was the hot bait according to others.

Ifishtoolittle
06-29-2015, 01:32 AM

Also fished the dock today at the Wood, which was really crowded, me and my son caught two 2 pound stripers.
The dock was packed and we lost two other fish to the cables, which really suck. All fish caught on anchovies but shad

Smallmouth Bass. It's a big deal if the fish really does exist in the lake as there are not many public lakes in Socal that has them.

sodapop
06-29-2015, 02:08 AM
Thanks for answer

seal
06-29-2015, 07:26 AM
Actually I'm just gonna call BS on this post. No way there's smallies in there, I've spent enough time out there to know this is bogus.

Stranger things have been caught at Silverwood but I'm struggling to ID location. Chemise is my only explanation but backdrop/mountains don't look right. No boat traffic makes me wonder when pic was taken. Also are we absolute with the confirmation this is a smallmouth? I just got back from Arrowhead and caught a few and just because color is similar I don't think that makes it a smallie. I've caught quite a few washed out largemouth at Silverwood. I don't know not an expert on everything green.

By the way if you like to toss a frog, now's the time!

Micropterus salmoides
06-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Between Chamise Cove and the water intake pointing towards Sycamore Landing. There's some structure down there around 40ft.

seal
06-29-2015, 09:46 AM
Between Chamise Cove and the water intake pointing towards Sycamore Landing. There's some structure down there around 40ft.

I tried blowing it up but my monitor sucks but it does look like Chemise I think the way the pic was taken makes the background look not quite right.

kwin
06-29-2015, 11:24 AM
that's not at Silverwood

seal
06-29-2015, 03:03 PM

Shad? Frozen shad?

chompot
06-29-2015, 04:35 PM
Stranger things have been caught at Silverwood but I'm struggling to ID location. Chemise is my only explanation but backdrop/mountains don't look right. No boat traffic makes me wonder when pic was taken. Also are we absolute with the confirmation this is a smallmouth? I just got back from Arrowhead and caught a few and just because color is similar I don't think that makes it a smallie. I've caught quite a few washed out largemouth at Silverwood. I don't know not an expert on everything green.

I do not know what lake that is, but that is definitely a smallmouth bass. It is not rocket science to tell the difference between a LMB and SMB. I have caught plenty of both. Never have I had trouble distinguishing between the two.

Now spots and LMB yes that can be tough at times, but once you get on a consistent spot bite you can tell the difference easily after that.

HawgZWylde
06-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Yup, it's a Smallie. Besides the color and markings, the mouth is the telling clue. Even with it open, you can tell it doesn't go past the eye...

NevadaE
06-29-2015, 04:50 PM
That is a smallmouth. I've caught enough of them that size. I like the bigger models with their full colors.

etucker1959
06-29-2015, 05:06 PM
that's not at Silverwood
This is the classic example of the little Boy who cried Wolf!!!! So many people in the past here on FNN have thought it was funny to make a gag report. Most of the time these people meant no harm by it, but it casts doubt's on any unusual catch!!!! So if Kwin say's that SMB didn't come out of Silverwood, that's should be good enough for the logical thinkers on here. No disrespect intended against the OP!!!!!

sodapop
06-29-2015, 05:23 PM
Shad? Frozen shad?

90 percent sure it was frozen shad, the guys who work on the dock.
said the day before everybody caught fish using shad. There were people fishing at
the best place on the dock and I saw them catch 10 stripers between 2 to 5 pounds, it
looked like they were using frozen shad technique hooked twice making it look like a live shad.

drifter023
06-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Kinda looks like Havasu.

seal
06-30-2015, 08:20 AM
I do not know what lake that is, but that is definitely a smallmouth bass. It is not rocket science to tell the difference between a LMB and SMB. I have caught plenty of both. Never have I had trouble distinguishing between the two.

Now spots and LMB yes that can be tough at times, but once you get on a consistent spot bite you can tell the difference easily after that.

I believe it to be a smallmouth also but only having targeted them a few times does not make me the expert. No doubt the mouth is a bit of a giveaway but at Arrowhead just last week we caught one that appeared to be a cross, a "meanmouth", only way that I knew to tell the difference was by the mouth, everything else was beyond my scope of knowledge. Well that and those beautiful eyes that the smallmouth had there.

seal
06-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Yup, it's a Smallie. Besides the color and markings, the mouth is the telling clue. Even with it open, you can tell it doesn't go past the eye...

Smallmouth caught last week had the "markings" of a largemouth, but looks like all the Silverwood locals are sure this isn't the lake so it's a mute issue. I thought about stopping by Chemise last night to try and recreate the location on a pic but not worth the time invested.

sealclubber
06-30-2015, 09:09 AM
Smb or lmb,Im just happy the algae is tolerable.....so far.

seal
06-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Smb or lmb,Im just happy the algae is tolerable.....so far.

Yes but the weeds are going to be bad!!! Miller is choked up big time.

SpinnerBaitKing
06-30-2015, 10:47 AM

http://www.fishwithjd.com/2009/04/01/los-angeles-river-steelheading/

Jmac
06-30-2015, 11:04 AM
What are these stranger things you speak of Seal? Spill the beans...

DarkShadow
06-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Threads like these gets views!

OP says it was caught in Silverwood. DFG/DFW/DWTF says it wasn't (based on no evidence other than a reply on an internet post)

Popcorn time!

seal
06-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Threads like these gets views!

OP says it was caught in Silverwood. DFG/DFW/DWTF says it wasn't (based on no evidence other than a reply on an internet post)

Popcorn time!

I think the funny part is for once I decided not to create drama and give the benefit of the doubt, a new leaf so to speak. Yet everybody else piled on. It's good to be the nice guy for a change, lol.

DarkShadow
06-30-2015, 03:31 PM
I think the funny part is for once I decided not to create drama and give the benefit of the doubt, a new leaf so to speak. Yet everybody else piled on. It's good to be the nice guy for a change, lol.

I'm just curious how a DFW guy is gonna claim that the fish wasn't caught at Silverwood when it took their department 10 years to realize stripers had invaded Castaic in the 90s, so I'm curious what up and coming technology they have to be so certain on something like this.

I'd prefer them telling us they'd investigate, rather than them being so certain that what they say should be taken as truth.

DEVOREFLYER
06-30-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm just curious how a DFW guy is gonna claim that the fish wasn't caught at Silverwood when it took their department 10 years to realize stripers had invaded Castaic in the 90s, so I'm curious what up and coming technology they have to be so certain on something like this.

I'd prefer them telling us they'd investigate, rather than them being so certain that what they say should be taken as truth.

But but but it's from the Guberment, you can always trust the guberment, would they ever tell a lie.....:ROFL:

kwin
06-30-2015, 05:18 PM

I worked Silverwood 8-10 days a month for 5 years. The background geography, topography whatever you want to call it, is not at Silverwood....from any angle. I'm not going to waste my time investigating something I already know the answer to.

trail blazer
06-30-2015, 05:22 PM
Just caught this 50lbr out of silverwood this morning on a taddy 45,,,paddy hopping,,at the inlet,

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u290/kluna2/IMG_20141108_172002_636_zpsq8jtuvlk.jpg (http://s171.photobucket.com/user/kluna2/media/IMG_20141108_172002_636_zpsq8jtuvlk.jpg.html)

ignore the 16 inch lc hanging out of his mouth That was for scale

trail blazer
06-30-2015, 05:36 PM
etuck,,,,,,some bogus reports are meant to get a laugh out of people,,

some are meant to deceive,,,,,,,,,its ALWAYS easy to pick out the ones that are meant to get a chuckle,,,,,,,,

One sure way to tell is that the O P either Vanishes,,in the case of deception OR stays the duration as in the case of US hecklers.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?82041-Trail-blazer-just-landed-a-50-lb-almost-5-foot-striped-bass

Trail blazer

Marley
06-30-2015, 05:39 PM
http://www.fishwithjd.com/2009/04/01/los-angeles-river-steelheading/

That was a great April Fool's article, some talent went into the Photoshopping. Those pics were all out of a Pacific Coast Sportfishing.

Mr T-rex
07-01-2015, 09:51 AM
SO was this Smallmouth caught at Silverwood ??

Marley
07-01-2015, 10:03 AM
SO was this Smallmouth caught at Silverwood ??

oops, sorry. SQUIRREL!

trail blazer
07-01-2015, 10:16 AM
http://i1.wp.com/fishwithjd.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/LA-Drift-Boat.jpg?zoom=3&resize=500%2C332

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Mr T-rex
07-01-2015, 10:33 AM
oops, sorry. SQUIRREL!

Lol hey whats up bud! Doing any catfishing this season at SARL ??

Marley
07-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Lol hey whats up bud! Doing any catfishing this season at SARL ??

Hey man! I've only been out a couple of times all year, not yet for cats. Gotta knock that that stuff off or gonna forget how. I'm on a 2 1/2 day tuna chase in a couple of weeks, hopefully they're willing to play.

Doghunter
07-01-2015, 07:29 PM
It looks like Lake Havasu

HawgZWylde
07-01-2015, 08:39 PM
It looks like Lake Havasu

This!!!!!!

HawgZWylde
07-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Smallmouth caught last week had the "markings" of a largemouth, but looks like all the Silverwood locals are sure this isn't the lake so it's a mute issue. I thought about stopping by Chemise last night to try and recreate the location on a pic but not worth the time invested.

Yup, I've caught SMB at DVL that had markings like an LMB. I've caught them where they literally were just gold and no lateral markings at all. I'm going to agree with the poster above me. Looks like the river or Havasu...

TroutOnly
07-01-2015, 09:45 PM
Just another b/s post to stir up the trolls..................

Jason A.
07-02-2015, 08:08 AM
It's havasu!! Guaranteed!! California side just south of the island

Mr T-rex
07-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Hey man! I've only been out a couple of times all year, not yet for cats. Gotta knock that that stuff off or gonna forget how. I'm on a 2 1/2 day tuna chase in a couple of weeks, hopefully they're willing to play.

Nice hopefully you get onto some tunas! Looking forward to your report bud