PDA

View Full Version : 06/27 - South Bay - Stripe Strike!

jinbow
06-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Hello Everybody,

Already had plans going fishing today, but haven't decided where. :Secret: Since I woke up kinda late and saw grey light already creeping out, decided to hit the South Bay.

Got there before 6 and was greeted by the bright morning. When I was tying up the LC from above where I parked, saw an area with fishy structure so headed that way.

Got to the spot, the waves were stronger than what I hoped, so didn't really expect much. After a few casts, I thought I got a hit, but it was probably kelp, cos broken kelp was all over the place today. :Evil: Continued on, and suddenly I get a very decent strike right after the lure hit the water. Fight on!!! :Guns: I could feel this was something special. I checked my watch just to time how long it might take me to reel him in. Started with two splashes without exposing itself from a distance. Then started to shift left and out, left and out; felt like 15 minutes of this battle back and forth. A beast for sure how the action was going. I hold my rod up to keep the tension, and slowly reel him in feet by feet, until the fish tires out. Finally, got the first glance to see it's tail (still swinging), but couldn't identify what type of bass. Just 5 feet away from success, waited until the next wave and landed him. :EyePop: It was HUGE, didn't think it was long, but HUGE. :EyePop: Looked at the time again; only passed 7 minutes. Hahaha....

This beast measured out to be 34" (Personal Best Striped Bass).
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/jinbow1981/Fishing/IMAG1677r_zpso4o94scc.jpg

Close up, the head looked oddly funny. :ROFL:
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/jinbow1981/Fishing/IMAG1679_zpskgrmjn3n.jpg

If you look close to how it was hooked, only the first two treble hooks were attached to the outer side of the mouth, the third treble hook was loose, don't know if I foul hooked him or not, but I'll take it anyways. :whistle:

Look at the tail!! :Wink: disgusting...
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/jinbow1981/Fishing/IMAG1680_zps76gyx46b.jpg

Since there were more people on this beach, I was able to grab someone to help take a photo of me with it.
:Smash: Measuring tape never gives the size of the fish justice.
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/jinbow1981/Fishing/IMAG1682_zpssmgcbwa6.jpg

Right after the shot, comes the release.

Continued to fish until 9:00 with two other species.

Short Butt
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/jinbow1981/Fishing/IMAG1683r_zpspc5oww4l.jpg

1st YFC for the year. :Razz: long time no see ...
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/jinbow1981/Fishing/IMAG1687r_zpsrtp5ucaa.jpg

Brand new LC, see how much beaten it got.
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/jinbow1981/Fishing/IMAG1690_zpssajz6n76.jpg

This is my 2nd Striper I've ever caught. The first one was just 8 days ago also in the South Bay.
Have been trying get a hand on these guys for some quite time.
Was thinking of going the shorter route to Castaic, but Poseidon had other thoughts. :UDaMan:
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w480/jinbow1981/Fishing/IMAG1668r_zpsffw3ox1e.jpg

Hope everybody enjoyed it. :Popcorn:

As always tight lines,
ALbert (jinbow)

bones
06-27-2015, 03:24 PM
Mr Jinbow......WOW!
Now that stripey is a serious TOAD!!!!.
Much respect Albert. It couldn't have happened to a nicer and more deserving angler IMHO!

I know your heart when it comes to these fish and I commend you on the release sir. Thanks for becoming part of the solution rather than a part of the problem. Our resident stripers here in SoCal need all of the help they can get in the surf zone. That's a breeder for sure!
Some guys I know unfortunately would have killed that fish which is sad.

Good job Brotha!

P.S.

Looks like there was a little parasite on the tail. Did you peel that off before the release? I'm kinda weird like that....I've removed all kinds of weird crap from fish before I release them. As far as the foul hook...who knows. By IGFA standards it would be sketchy but I've seen this happen many times when you actually only hang a big fish on just the tail hook. Then they bolt for Catalina and during the fight the hooks pops out of the fishes mouth and the rest of the hooks foul under the chin. You were very lucky...a little longer of a fight and she might have came completely unbuttoned.

--------<><

cutbait
06-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Normal head, not foul hooked. They don't swallow a bait like other fish.

Nice fish looks like a solid 15

TroutOnly
06-27-2015, 04:03 PM
that's cool pullin one out of the surf ,,,it doesn't matter what it weighed, the fact that you caught it is awesome...............

bachiboy
06-27-2015, 06:52 PM
Dude...you are on fire lately!!!!:UDaMan: Very nicely done. Getting one is tough...two in a couple week stretch is awesome! Gotta say, you are one of the nicest guys I've met out there in the surf so all your success is well deserved. You've fished hard and have been WELL rewarded!:Wink:

Congrats!!!
Don

PS - I'm assuming that these fish came on your new setup so I think it's safe to say after a legal WSB and two stripers that the rod and reel are adequately broken in.:LOL:

vdisney
06-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Absolutly awesome, and much respect for the release....................Verne

jaggerbub
06-27-2015, 10:55 PM
Just awesome!

Edgar
06-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Albert you are absolutely nailing them! Putting yourself in the right place at the right time! Congratulations on another epic catch , and no comment about the release :UDaMan: !

DockRat
06-28-2015, 06:27 PM
Great catch. I bet you were north of Hermosa ?
Haven't heard of one in Redondo/Torrance, has anybody ?
Congratulations. :Applause::Worship:

TroutOnly
06-28-2015, 07:16 PM
every year at Hermosa.............

bones
06-28-2015, 08:58 PM
I don't think the location of Albert's recent toad WSB catch or this beautiful striper is as important as the secret KIMCHI scent he is using on his baits:ROFL:

basshole1
06-28-2015, 10:49 PM
I don't think the location of Albert's recent toad WSB catch or this beautiful striper is as important as the secret KIMCHI scent he is using on his baits:ROFL:

LOL BONES!!! I've got three different kinds in my fridge right now, maybe its time to bust it out!!

Jinbow, what a fantastic and incredible catch. That is one beast of a striper from the surf!! Hats off to you my friend, PROPS!!

tamddo714
06-29-2015, 04:49 AM
damn awesome job on the stripers!!! hope to catch myself some in the future. what region is south bay if you dont mind

SP Dan
06-29-2015, 05:56 PM
Excellent job on the Striped Bass
What a beautiful fish! It matched the length of my PB Striper!

Poseidon decided that you deserved this fish!
And extra kudos to you Jinbow ... for the release of your monstrous fish Sir!

Thanx for the accelerating read with pic's. :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

Halibitesb
06-30-2015, 04:38 PM
So awesome! Well done.

HuskerRod
07-01-2015, 11:20 AM
So gang what is the story of SoCal saltwater stripers. This is only the second one I ever heard of. Did they use to be more common? How frequently are they caught?

iLLest
07-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Wowwww,
That thing is a monster.
Congrats on the beautiful catch.
I bet those 7 minutes of battle lasted as if it was an hour. :Big Grin:

murrieta angler
07-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Congratulations on a beautiful fish Albert..:Big Grin:
You have been in the right places, at the right times....but most importantly, you are fishing :Wink:
Thank you for sharing your quiet time with us,
Robert
<><

fish4life
07-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Whoa man looks like the stripers are making their way down south. Way to go man that is a socal surf fisherman's dream right there! Nice!

Jaysuuun
07-02-2015, 01:02 AM
First a PB WSB and now a hog striper! Not bad!
Nice job on working that beast in without popping the hooks free.
Keep up the hot streak!

Jason

jinbow
07-02-2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks all for reading my post with great comments.

Mike:
Just looking at that bug gave me the chills, I didn't even want to see it. But it is good practice to help the fish like you did, Ill try to remember to do it if it aint too overwhelming for me.:Rolls Eyes:
:ROFL: Don't think I ever told you I was quarter Korean. Haha... I bet it would really work.

Don:
That is true, last time you saw me was the 2nd time using my new setup, it is for sure broken in!! :Smash:

tamddo714 :
Sorry, just South Bay area can be disclosed, thanks. :Secret:

Dan:
Hello, haven't seen you for a while. Yep, searched up your report after I posted mine, what a beast you had.

iLLest:
Yes, it felt a lot more longer than just the 7 minutes.

ALbert (jinbow)

TUNAVIC
07-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Kinda funny,a friend was all excited when he saw me at home depot today,he wanted to tell me all about your striper that you caught in the surf,WTG!

Cya Tuna Vic

Wingnut
07-03-2015, 04:13 PM
You are absolutely on a hot streak Albert! :Thumbs Up:
Congrats on the beautiful Lineside from the sand. A Striper is the true Ghost of the surf. :Wink:
That's one goal I have yet to fulfill on my surf fishing bucket list. :Envious:
Keep up the excellent job out there and I'll see you at HG7. :Big Grin:

carpanglerdude
07-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Fantastic fish. Getting two stripers from the surf?!!? Very impressed

AndyJ
07-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Beautiful fish. I am going to try surf fishing lucky strike lures in the Capo Beach area next week.

dhntr48
07-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Once before die I want to get a surf striper . Hats off ,good work !!!

Lightning
07-07-2015, 05:49 PM
That is awesome! Great CPR

bloox8
07-07-2015, 06:56 PM
Very nice Jinbow!!!!

inthezone
07-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Nice fish...is that a lc110 fm metallic sardine?

ToadHunter
07-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Nice hogs you got there.

PTN
07-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Congrats on the catches Jinbow! Jealous but happy for you :Envious:.

-Peter

paulduenas
07-14-2015, 02:22 AM
where is south bay?

bones
07-14-2015, 12:12 PM
where is south bay?

Southern section of Santa Monica Bay....... More or less anywhere from Marina Del Rey down to RAT beach.