PDA

View Full Version : Worst boat ride ever......

Fishin4runner
06-27-2015, 01:45 AM
well it has been awhile since I posted but with all the saltwater reports I had to go out. So I booked a 1.5 day trip out of San Diego. My go to boat has not been running so I tried out the outer limits and I must say a trip on this boat was a waste of time and money. That said, we boarded and set out on our offshore trip. After steaming allnight we set the troll rods out and what do I see Catalina island and I am thinking what the F^&* we are suppose to be offshore not 29 miles off of santa monica. Anyways the trip goes on we fish 2 kelp pattys. The first we catch 5 yellow tail and the captain says the fish are gone so we are moving on and me and 3 other fisherman throwing iron on the bow still see a huge school swimming the patty. The second we pull 1 yellow tail and the captain again says I only saw one fish, with one caught we are moving. Both patties we spent a total of 15 minutes fishing. The rest of the time we trolled back to san diego hooked one yellowfin tuna on a troll rod. As we watch the tunas boiling around the boat the captain again says the fish are gone and we are going to call it and head in. We were 2 hrs from San diego. We got to the harbor about 10:45 at night, kill the engines and the captain says we are not due in till 6:00 am so we will sit here until 5:00 am. All together the boat total was 6 yellow tail and 1 yellow fin tuna. This trip was not what me and a few other fisherman paid for so we complained to no prevail. The worst part was after I got home and looked at the reports the boat claimed 6 bluefin tuna and 1 yellowfin tuna a straight lie. If you are a fisherman and value your time and money stay away from the outer limits from seafourth landing they are a very scandalous boat........
Now don't get me wrong Seafourth has some great boats such as the Aztec......

TroutOnly
06-27-2015, 08:06 AM
sorry to hear that ,a lot of them are lieing *** bitches..........I watch the facebook pics by people actually on the boats and not a landings propaganda post................

jonee523
06-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Well I can comfirm your report brother. My buddy and his son are the ones who caught the yellowfin tuna on the troll. He described the trip just as you say it. Just a long boat ride to catalina and a waste of money cuz the capt did not want to get his boat dirty? Seaforth is a great landing. Try the tribute next time if you can. They WILL NOT disappoint period.

Jon

I will definately scratch that boat off my list.

christainmetalhead909
06-28-2015, 10:39 AM
That's terrible!!!! Thanks for the heads up on that boat!!!

bones
06-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Seriously bad for business. Between this post and the other anglers who probably shared the experience via other forums and social media the "Outer Limits" is gonna be hurting for business in the near future for sure. Nothing worse than a capitan who doesn't know his CHIT and also lies about his take.

SAD...SAD...SAD

Stormcrow
06-28-2015, 05:36 PM
OMG thats terrible! You could have booked a boat out of Long Beach or San Pedro for HALF the price and had better fishing!!!!!!

Fishin4runner
06-28-2015, 06:17 PM
sorry to hear that ,a lot of them are lieing *** bitches..........I watch the facebook pics by people actually on the boats and not a landings propaganda post................

You got that right about the lying bitches. I think I would rather hit up hardcore and offer to fill his boat with fuel to take me out..........lol

Fishin4runner
06-28-2015, 06:18 PM
Well I can comfirm your report brother. My buddy and his son are the ones who caught the yellowfin tuna on the troll. He described the trip just as you say it. Just a long boat ride to catalina and a waste of money cuz the capt did not want to get his boat dirty? Seaforth is a great landing. Try the tribute next time if you can. They WILL NOT disappoint period.

Jon

I will definately scratch that boat off my list.

The boat ride sucked but seeing that boy reeling in that yellowfin was the high point of the whole trip. Except the deckhands didn't help move people so the boy could fight it.

Fishin4runner
06-28-2015, 06:20 PM
OMG thats terrible! You could have booked a boat out of Long Beach or San Pedro for HALF the price and had better fishing!!!!!!

That was the point I tried to get across to the landing. If I wanted to fish catalina I wouldn't have booked a trip in San Diego, spent more money and drove an extra 2 hrs.

Cadillyak
06-28-2015, 07:55 PM
Fish h&m landing. Great boats. I prefer the 3/4 day malahini. Great crew and they put u on fish. We went off shore 45 miles and got in 1&1/2 hours late but well worth it. They leave no stone unturned. At one point we were on a patty and saw one in sight. A PB was looking at the untouched patty but we cut him off and scored big.

TimmyBoy
07-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Just coming to the defense of the Outer Limits Here. I've fished the boat mutiple times over the past few years, and to me Captain Paul, and his crew are one of the best ones out there. Even on trips where the fishing has been slow, he's pushed the boat and driven farther than he really needed to. I understand that you had a rough trip, but that's fishing for you, especially on offshore trips this early in the year. People keep forgetting we've been spoiled in terms of fishing recently, and forget how it normally is. The Captain really has no incentive other than to try to get his paying customers on his fish, so if he's telling you theres no fish on a patty, there really isnt. Did you also confirm with the captain if it was Catalina Island you were seeing? Could have been any numerous one of the islands out there, AKA Clemente cause I know a lot of boats shot out to Cortez Bank cause there was no reports of fish anywhere else. Next time you should probably bring up your concerns with the Captains and have him explain it to you directly, and show you the lack of fish on the sonar before you come out swinging on a forum.

etucker1959
07-01-2015, 09:09 PM
Slow fishing always brings out a little hard feelings!!!!! I never blame anyone but myself anymore about slow fishing on a sport boat. I made the choice that day to go fishing and I picked the boat!!!!! So who's fault is it really????? I'm the captain of myself and I picked wrong!!!!! Just a little different way to look at things. I'll give everybody a hot tip, the New Lo-An is catching Bluefin Tuna Now!!!!! lol Handicapping 101, Bluefin Tuna and WSB bite on the Full Moon. Look up in the sky tonight, that moon is full!!!! lol

Marley
07-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Slow fishing always brings out a little hard feelings!!!!! I never blame anyone but myself anymore about slow fishing on a sport boat. I made the choice that day to go fishing and I picked the boat!!!!! So who's fault is it really????? I'm the captain of myself and I picked wrong!!!!! Just a little different way to look at things. I'll give everybody a hot tip, the New Lo-An is catching Bluefin Tuna Now!!!!! lol Handicapping 101, Bluefin Tuna and WSB bite on the Full Moon. Look up in the sky tonight, that moon is full!!!! lol

Many people pick a boat that's catching fish based on their reports. When you discover the reports likely were lies, because the report of your trip was a lie, and you based your decision to fish on those lies, you have every right to call them out on it.

One really ugly trip will damage a reputation. I once had such a trip on the New Lo-An. Awesome, fishy boat, and one that I would recommend to anyone looking for a great day on the water. Love that wide beam and big-***, troll-five-across stern. But the owner/captain didn't like my being the hot stick on this particular trip and let me know it in a loud and insulting way. He knew what he did, I called him on it seven hours later at the dock, and he came at me again. That was 16 years ago or more and even with a change of ownership, I will never ride the boat again.

Fishin4runner
07-01-2015, 11:14 PM
Just coming to the defense of the Outer Limits Here. I've fished the boat mutiple times over the past few years, and to me Captain Paul, and his crew are one of the best ones out there. Even on trips where the fishing has been slow, he's pushed the boat and driven farther than he really needed to. I understand that you had a rough trip, but that's fishing for you, especially on offshore trips this early in the year. People keep forgetting we've been spoiled in terms of fishing recently, and forget how it normally is. The Captain really has no incentive other than to try to get his paying customers on his fish, so if he's telling you theres no fish on a patty, there really isnt. Did you also confirm with the captain if it was Catalina Island you were seeing? Could have been any numerous one of the islands out there, AKA Clemente cause I know a lot of boats shot out to Cortez Bank cause there was no reports of fish anywhere else. Next time you should probably bring up your concerns with the Captains and have him explain it to you directly, and show you the lack of fish on the sonar before you come out swinging on a forum.

We tried to talk to the captain me and 3 others and he just blew us off and closed his door. And I am no retard I know what Avalon looks like this was not my first rodeo. In my opinion and the others I fished with the Outer Limits is a terrible boat and the crew was very rude......But I guess some people like their service below average to each his own, me and some others will never fish that boat again. And offshore from San Diego doesn't mean Catalina Island. It was a waste of time. If I wanted to fish Catalina I would have booked out of Newport on the patriot and fished more as they fished the same waters and caught 62 yellowtail to our 6. And my point still stands the boats captain is a fu$%ing liar we never even saw a blue fin and he reported we caught 6..Lying bastard....

Fishin4runner
07-01-2015, 11:17 PM
I based this trip on wanting to go fish OFFSHORE and this was the only boat that was running from the landing that I love in the time I had off work. I won't make the same mistake. If my friends are catching I will go with their reports on the boats I know. That said when in San Diego I will stick with the Aztec or the Pride captain Greg and his crew are truly top notch...At least I can put some faith in your ocean reports.........Tight lines....

Fishin4runner
07-01-2015, 11:32 PM
Well said Marley
I understand it is fishing and not catching but when a captain insults his paying customers with false reports and the customer service is below par the boat has a problem. If the captain has no time to talk to the customer when nothing is biting then I have no time for that boat or captain.... Never again......

WARRIORMIKE
07-02-2015, 11:21 AM
Or you could always buy your own boat??

Marley
07-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Or you could always buy your own boat??

No, most folks have neither the time nor the money for that so we engage the services of the people who do and who chose the life. I run a food service and the job I chose is to provide great service and great food to folks who contract with me. How could I ever look at a customer and tell them "You don't like my food and service, then buy your own business"?

WARRIORMIKE
07-02-2015, 12:33 PM
No, most folks have neither the time nor the money for that so we engage the services of the people who do and who chose the life. I run a food service and the job I chose is to provide great service and great food to folks who contract with me. How could I ever look at a customer and tell them "You don't like my food and service, then buy your own business"?

Ok I'll play along.........

If someone is complaining about where they go how they go and course of actions then the idea would be to invest in your own vessel. If my steak came out crappy at a restaurant will I go back there again? More likely not. Would I expect to buy my own business after I vent how much it sucked? No. However if the food sucked and I know I good do a better job at cooking it and I don't have to deal with the bad service well then I would have to buy my own steak and cook it to MY SATISFACTION!

Only person to blame is myself if it comes out bad.........

DEVOREFLYER
07-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Customers have an "Expectation Level" and sometimes it is unrealistic, however giving world class service at a price that affords the business the ability to prosper is the key to business success (Happy customer and happy owner). Some in business confuse "Service" with the farmer bringing the bull in to "Service" the cow and they are the ones that fail.

You only go into business for two reasons "Fun and Profit" and it there is no Profit it is no Fun.:EyePop:

Fishingdachronarch201E7
07-02-2015, 12:37 PM
good read!!! and sucks what happened, sometimes you just wonder what the captains are thinking LOL i just try to make the best...on the SAN DIEGO tomorrow....

and very true Marley!

Marley
07-02-2015, 12:58 PM
Ok I'll play along.........

If someone is complaining about where they go how they go and course of actions then the idea would be to invest in your own vessel. If my steak came out crappy at a restaurant will I go back there again? More likely not. Would I expect to buy my own business after I vent how much it sucked? No. However if the food sucked and I know I good do a better job at cooking it and I don't have to deal with the bad service well then I would have to buy my own steak and cook it to MY SATISFACTION!

Only person to blame is myself if it comes out bad.........

If you lied about how good a cook you were and people believed you, would you expect them to come back? Most people have no clue what running a restaurant is all about, just like most have no clue about what running a fishing boat is about. What they DO know about is integrity, and that matters.

Marley
07-02-2015, 12:59 PM
good read!!! and sucks what happened, sometimes you just wonder what the captains are thinking LOL i just try to make the best...on the SAN DIEGO tomorrow....

and very true Marley!

Awe, man! I want so hard to get out tonight but will never make it to a landing after work. Good luck, whack some toads!

WARRIORMIKE
07-02-2015, 02:49 PM
If you lied about how good a cook you were and people believed you, would you expect them to come back? Most people have no clue what running a restaurant is all about, just like most have no clue about what running a fishing boat is about. What they DO know about is integrity, and that matters.

Maybe he was misinformed on where the fish were at? The captain had good intentions on putting is customers on fish. Who's to say he was really lying. Misinformation was sent. Mistakes happen? Correct?

Marley
07-02-2015, 03:12 PM
Maybe he was misinformed on where the fish were at? The captain had good intentions on putting is customers on fish. Who's to say he was really lying. Misinformation was sent. Mistakes happen? Correct?

Correct. Mistakes happen. I would wager a fair sum that this post would have gone nowhere had OP just gone off on a bad day's fishing, maybe even heard a few yaps and sounds of a tail being tucked. But the events were corroborated by another poster and that adds that much more credibility. Pretty clear the captain blew it and now has to live with a negative thread on a popular fishing website.

Fishin4runner
07-03-2015, 01:46 AM

Misinformed? The captain said at the captains briefing I have no plan of attack I am just going to take a shot in the dark. HIS WORDS..Not mine.. And you are really on the push to defend this boat. I am telling you the boat flat lied about the catch, had no customer service skills, and the crew flat *** sucked. You can ask any that were aboard. And the fact that I put myself in another's hands to put me on fish is not my fault, that is what sport fishing captains are suppose to do. I figured the boat is at a good landing so they must be descent, obviously i was wrong. The captain and crew were inexperienced and it showed. The captain cared more about selling us a breakfast burrito then he cared about us catching fish. Ask any passenger that was on the vessel PM me I have their numbers. And calling 6 yellow tail 6 bluefin is a flat Fu**ing lie. Keep defending $hitty boats obviously that is your style of fishing. And on the note of buying your own boat, that is in the works I am currently looking for a boat to purchase. Just like the first time I rented gear on a deep sea trip and it fu%^ed up on me due to old line and lost me two fish. I bought my own gear. Very soon I will have my own boat.

And this is to you and anyone else I speak my mind The boat, captain, and crew FU$%ing sucked. And most of the anglers on the boat that day would agree.

Fishin4runner
07-03-2015, 02:17 AM
Customers have an "Expectation Level" and sometimes it is unrealistic, however giving world class service at a price that affords the business the ability to prosper is the key to business success (Happy customer and happy owner). Some in business confuse "Service" with the farmer bringing the bull in to "Service" the cow and they are the ones that fail.

You only go into business for two reasons "Fun and Profit" and it there is no Profit it is no Fun.:EyePop:
You are totally right about expectation levels. I don't think mine and some others were to out outrageous..You ask a deckhand to help you tie a knot or check your drag they should help,,not act like you are irritating them. I watched a dude with a rented rod (obviously new to the ocean) ask a deckhand to attach a fluorocarbon leader and a hook for him on this trip, the deckhand acted irritated to do this simple task and tied a very poor uni to uni and attached the hook with a 4 turn uni that he didn't even cinch down. Both knots were loose and wouldn't have held during battle. I watched and looked over the finished product..I would have been embarrassed if i was that deckhand. Anyways I pulled the newbie aside and taught him how to tie an improved albright 7-up 7 down, and a Sandiego Jam terminal connection. and the dude was thrilled. Sad thing is if I left him to the horrible service on this boat he would have lost one of the few yellowtails that were caught due to improperly tied knots. Very sad.......

etucker1959
07-03-2015, 12:55 PM

and very true Marley!
I'm surprised and not surprised this thread is still going!!!! Maybe someone can learn something useful from this thread. Kenny Rogers in his famous song the GAMBLER said it best. "There is a time to hold them and there is a time to fold them." That statement is so true when going fishing on any sportboat and here's why!!!!! They are expensive!!!!! That day and a half fishing trip we are talking about is usually priced over $300 dollars. That doesn't count food, drinks, jackpot, fishing cleaning, gas to get there and any fishing tackle you bought before you got on the boat etc. You're spending over $400 easy!!!!!!! Now if your going to invest that kind of money, wouldn't you want it to look kinda like a sure thing????? Like all the boats are catching 2-3 fish per rod. This trip was scrounge fishing at it's best, that's why the captain said, "I don't know where I'm going" because they weren't really biting for anyone very consistently at that time period. THEY ARE RIGHT NOW!!!!!! I can't wait to hear Fishingdachronach report on the San Diego!!!!! Those things are really biting, a bad day is 75 fish caught and a good day is 200 fish!!!! Now if Fishingdachronarch had a reservation on the San Diego and they switched boats on him to the Outer Limits and they had the same fish catch as the OP did. Yet the San Diego caught 150 fish, the OP grips would be a lot more valid!!!!!

PS. I just checked the fish reports for the San Diego today, a 100 Yellowtail caught by Noon!!!!! Go get them Fishingdachronach!!!!!

PSS. In fairness the San Diego was fishing for Yellowtail today and the OP was on a Tuna trip. However, with that being said the Tuna counts for most good boats this week was 30 Tuna or better. Today it's 50 or better!!!!! Taking Kenny Rogers advice, "it's time to hold them and go fishing!!!!" lol