PDA

View Full Version : Deck hand etiquette?

antsn37
06-26-2015, 09:50 PM
Went on a 1.5 day chartered trip. About half of us "fished" the others were 1st timers and rented poles. I did not know everyone on the boat, but did offer assistance to the non-fishers with gearing up, advice, retying, ect. It's not hard to pick out the newbies. I was a little bothered by the lack of help from the deckhands. Mind you, this is a very popular boat out of San Diego. Another thing that kinda bothered me is that the deckhands were fishing when the action was hot. Should they not be assisting others at this time? (Fish/tangles/gaff) I bring this up because several paying customers on a privately chartered boat did not land 1 fish!!!! Trust me, the others went home with enough filets. The icing on the cake is when the newbies went to settle their bill. The deckhands were soliciting tips from the people who did not catch a single fish!! I know there are outstanding hardworking good hearted deckhands out there, and I wanted to thank them! I could not do their job. My next trip I will make it a point to extend myself to help newbies, even if it costs me a fish or two.

etucker1959
06-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Went on a 1.5 day chartered trip. About half of us "fished" the others were 1st timers and rented poles. I did not know everyone on the boat, but did offer assistance to the non-fishers with gearing up, advice, retying, ect. It's not hard to pick out the newbies. I was a little bothered by the lack of help from the deckhands. Mind you, this is a very popular boat out of San Diego. Another thing that kinda bothered me is that the deckhands were fishing when the action was hot. Should they not be assisting others at this time? (Fish/tangles/gaff) I bring this up because several paying customers on a privately chartered boat did not land 1 fish!!!! Trust me, the others went home with enough filets. The icing on the cake is when the newbies went to settle their bill. The deckhands were soliciting tips from the people who did not catch a single fish!! I know there are outstanding hardworking good hearted deckhands out there, and I wanted to thank them! I could not do their job. My next trip I will make it a point to extend myself to help newbies, even if it costs me a fish or two.
Going fishing on a sport boat is like picking a wife. It's ok to date around for a while, but once you've seen what everyone has to offer. Pick the one that suits you the most and marry her!!!!! lol All sport fishing boats and crews are not equal!!!! Thinking you can pick anyone at random and be happy with the results, is just an accident waiting to happen!!!!!!

jaggerbub
06-26-2015, 11:07 PM
I was on a SD 2.5 day boat a few years ago. I experienced the same with deckhands fishing and not helping. Then when dinner time came, they sat down with the first wave of paying customers and all ate while the paying customers waited to eat. Didn't think that was cool. Lots of upset fisherman. I've never been back on that boat again.
Since then, I've found the Ocean Odyssey. Great multi day boat. Great captain. Great deckhands. Customers come first. All you can drink fountain soda. Great food and snacks all day long. They get my business every season now! You just have to try out a couple of boats. Find one you like and stick to it.

flyhigh123
06-27-2015, 12:32 AM
what boat so i know to avoid it and add it to the list... my fav are pride, aztec, voyager...

etucker1959
06-27-2015, 08:52 AM
what boat so i know to avoid it and add it to the list... my fav are pride, aztec, voyager...
My favorite in your list is the Pride. 18-20 passengers max and good owner and crew. I tell my dad when we go out to our favorite restaurants, order what you know you like and stick with it. In your case those 3 boats are all you need for an overnighter and a day and a half trip out of San Diego. If you move up the coast north, it's easier to say which boats I would fish and you should avoid the rest!!!! lol

pdogfather
06-27-2015, 03:45 PM
ive seen party boats where no deckhands are helping and they were all fishing. never again would i go back on that boat. some of them just want high number of catch - which they do the past couple of years. but they sure are loosing customers that way.