PDA

View Full Version : Sarl

wyu
06-26-2015, 11:33 AM
What's up fellas...

I'm planning to take my wife and kids out fishing for their first time on Friday 7/3 for catfish. We'll be fishing from shore so no tubing for me.

I've never fished this lake before so any tips on bait and location would be great. I've heard that on the big lake the bubble hole, la Palma point, and west shore are pretty good but don't know about any other locations or locations on Chris's pond or catfish lake.

Any help would be great. I'm trying to get them on the fish so their first experience would be a memorable one.

Thx

Mr T-rex
06-29-2015, 01:35 PM
All of those areas are top hitters
You might want to try the boat dock also in the Big lake, As for chris pond any area by the inlet should be good
Remember location is key so if you dont get bit with in 30 mins its time to move
Shrimp, Mackarell, Nightcrawlers and meal worms are all hot baits. make sure to add marshmallows
Go buy yourself some Hog Wild at big 5 just make sure to not touch it with your hands lol thing is smelly
Good luck out there and hope you get into some fish

jhernandez25
06-29-2015, 03:42 PM
Which Hog Wild Flavor have you had the most success on??, Thank You in advance

wyu
06-30-2015, 02:43 PM
All of those areas are top hitters
You might want to try the boat dock also in the Big lake, As for chris pond any area by the inlet should be good
Remember location is key so if you dont get bit with in 30 mins its time to move
Shrimp, Mackarell, Nightcrawlers and meal worms are all hot baits. make sure to add marshmallows
Go buy yourself some Hog Wild at big 5 just make sure to not touch it with your hands lol thing is smelly
Good luck out there and hope you get into some fish

Thx for the info Mr T-Rex. Just thought about this. How's the water levels at the lakes? Has anyone fished there lately?

Mr T-rex
07-01-2015, 09:42 AM
Which Hog Wild Flavor have you had the most success on??, Thank You in advance

I usually just get the Regular one! Also there is this garlic spray i use i don't really know the name of that.
Haven't fished those scent baits in a while since iv'e been tubing for catfish! I fly line my baits (No Weight) & my go to baits are nightcrawlers and shrimp

Mr T-rex
07-01-2015, 09:44 AM
Thx for the info Mr T-Rex. Just thought about this. How's the water levels at the lakes? Has anyone fished there lately?

All 3 lakes at SARL are full thanks to to the Santa Ana river pushing in water to all 3 lakes so make sure to fish any inlets!
There are pumps between Levits Corner & the Pump house so the cats are stacked up
I was there 2 weeks ago on my tube & limited out with in 2 hours

wyu
07-01-2015, 04:36 PM
All 3 lakes at SARL are full thanks to to the Santa Ana river pushing in water to all 3 lakes so make sure to fish any inlets!
There are pumps between Levits Corner & the Pump house so the cats are stacked up
I was there 2 weeks ago on my tube & limited out with in 2 hours

Thanks for the tip Mr T-Rex. I wish I was tubing. I'll be shore fishing cause I'll be with the family.

Mr T-rex
07-01-2015, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the tip Mr T-Rex. I wish I was tubing. I'll be shore fishing cause I'll be with the family.

No problem if you need any other tips feel free to message me
Hey buddy you cant go wrong with family time & fishing.
good luck out there and let us know how you do

jhernandez25
07-02-2015, 08:13 AM
Thanks T-Rex for sharing good information not a lot of people are willing to share there spots and or "Secrets" really appreciate it, I took up fishing to relax and deal with my PTSD which has help tremendously and have tried to talk to people to learn and get info and most usually just shurge me off. Thanks again.

Mr T-rex
07-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Thanks T-Rex for sharing good information not a lot of people are willing to share there spots and or "Secrets" really appreciate it, I took up fishing to relax and deal with my PTSD which has help tremendously and have tried to talk to people to learn and get info and most usually just shurge me off. Thanks again.

No problem that's what this forum is for to help others! there are plenty of fish for everyone to catch
Nothing wrong for sharing some knowledge and helping another fisherman out
You made a great choice because fishing can relax mind & relieve so much stress! Good luck in your outing hopefully you get onto some fish
Ill be out there friday night in my tube

wyu
07-02-2015, 04:52 PM
No problem that's what this forum is for to help others! there are plenty of fish for everyone to catch
Nothing wrong for sharing some knowledge and helping another fisherman out
You made a great choice because fishing can relax mind & relieve so much stress! Good luck in your outing hopefully you get onto some fish
Ill be out there friday night in my tube

Mr T-Rex.... I'll be there tomorrow too. Going to do the full day session. If you see an expedition with a tan canopy near it it's more than likely me. Drop by and say hi if you can. Thanks again for the great info!

Mr T-rex
07-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Mr T-Rex.... I'll be there tomorrow too. Going to do the full day session. If you see an expedition with a tan canopy near it it's more than likely me. Drop by and say hi if you can. Thanks again for the great info!

Perfect sounds good around which area are you looking to fish at ??

wyu
07-02-2015, 06:14 PM
Perfect sounds good around which area are you looking to fish at ??

Not sure yet but more than likely somewhere on the main lake. I've never been to the lake before so I'm going to see if I can find a place between levitz corner and the pump house where I can pull my truck up next to the water and set up a canopy.

Mr T-Rex any idea if that'll be possible in that area or suggestions of spots where I can do that? I'm hoping this place is like Irvine lake where you can park right next to the water and fish.

Mr T-rex
07-03-2015, 10:21 AM
Not sure yet but more than likely somewhere on the main lake. I've never been to the lake before so I'm going to see if I can find a place between levitz corner and the pump house where I can pull my truck up next to the water and set up a canopy.

Mr T-Rex any idea if that'll be possible in that area or suggestions of spots where I can do that? I'm hoping this place is like Irvine lake where you can park right next to the water and fish.

The only place where you can pull up your truck right next to the water would be levits corner which gives you a good stretch of shore!
The cats are hanging out in that area because of the pumps that lead into that direction

wyu
07-03-2015, 02:03 PM
The only place where you can pull up your truck right next to the water would be levits corner which gives you a good stretch of shore!
The cats are hanging out in that area because of the pumps that lead into that direction

That's where we are camped out at. Pretty slow all morning. Manage to land one a few minutes after they stocked it next to us. Have two more hours left to go. Hopefully the bite will pick up before we leave.

LGOP
07-05-2015, 09:02 PM
It's always nice to see another veteran on here. We should fish together too. Just hit me up when ever you want to go out.

jhernandez25
07-06-2015, 07:37 AM
How was everyone's fishing session this weekend? Mr. T-Rex and WYU, I was trying to get out but i figured i would save up a little money and get my self a float tube any suggestions on a good starter float tube???? Hey LGOP am always up for fishing :-) where do you live???

Mr T-rex
07-06-2015, 09:25 AM
How was everyone's fishing session this weekend? Mr. T-Rex and WYU, I was trying to get out but i figured i would save up a little money and get my self a float tube any suggestions on a good starter float tube???? Hey LGOP am always up for fishing :-) where do you live???

Hey what's up bud
I wasn't able to get out this past weekend! Got swamped with appointments and schedule was crazy but i will most likely be heading out some time either this week or weekend
If you look on craigslist you can find some killer deals, even on here somebody always has a float tube for sale

jhernandez25
07-06-2015, 09:59 AM
yeah same thing happen with me i wanted to get out and fish but got stuck doing other things :-(, Yeah am working on a deal for a creek company odc 420 not sure if its a good one but it looks good, I was also wondering about fins what do you recommend I been reading forums and they all have different preferences and also what do you recommend using Chest Waders or those Waders slippers/ boots things. thank in advance.

LGOP
07-06-2015, 03:22 PM

I'm in long beach and I usually fish out of a kayak. I have an extra kayak you can borrow if we go out together. I've been wanting to take it to SARL soon for some catfishing. Check out Heros on the water. It's a non profit that takes veterans on kayak fishing trips in mission bay. They have all the gears from kayaks to poles and you'll have a fishing mentor with each vet.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Heroes-on-the-Water-SoCal-Chapter/344810268874902

jhernandez25
07-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Ohh Cool I stay in Wilmington just across the bridge, That sounds awesome unfortunately am iffy about kayaks since i really don't know how to swim that's why i didn't join the Navy lol. So I have been thinking of getting a float tube which looks a bit more stable. I just started fishing so I would definitely would not mind going out with you learning some tricks of the trade. Heros on the Water sounds awesome ill check them out thanks.

wyu
07-07-2015, 10:44 AM
yeah same thing happen with me i wanted to get out and fish but got stuck doing other things :-(, Yeah am working on a deal for a creek company odc 420 not sure if its a good one but it looks good, I was also wondering about fins what do you recommend I been reading forums and they all have different preferences and also what do you recommend using Chest Waders or those Waders slippers/ boots things. thank in advance.

Hey jhernandez25 the creek company odc is a nice tube either that or a Cumberland tube is good too. As far as fins go force fins and hotspot fins are probably the best out there. Force fins are pricy though. And waders I'd go with chest waders make sure it's the ones that breath pretty well. I personally like Simms waders. There's a forum I also belong to call float tube fishing forum where you can get more info and ask questions. Everyone on that forum is cool and helpful.

Here's their link: http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/forum

I'm going to try and make it out this Saturday for the night session. Didn't get enough this past Saturday lol....

Mr T-rex
07-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Hey jhernandez25 the creek company odc is a nice tube either that or a Cumberland tube is good too. As far as fins go force fins and hotspot fins are probably the best out there. Force fins are pricy though. And waders I'd go with chest waders make sure it's the ones that breath pretty well. I personally like Simms waders. There's a forum I also belong to call float tube fishing forum where you can get more info and ask questions. Everyone on that forum is cool and helpful.

Here's their link: http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/forum

I'm going to try and make it out this Saturday for the night session. Didn't get enough this past Saturday lol....

Good Luck out there will you be on a float tube ??

jhernandez25
07-08-2015, 10:43 AM
Good Luck out there will you be on a float tube ??

Good Luck out there, am going to try and make it out Friday night to Irvine lake but the following weekend am planning out going to SARL, my last time there I fished off the shore and only caught 1 but this guy near me on a float tube was catching one after another. I say we should all meet up and fish sometime. :-), the guy hasnt responded about the float tube so its time to hit up craigslist and see what i find.

Mr T-rex
07-08-2015, 02:41 PM
Good Luck out there, am going to try and make it out Friday night to Irvine lake but the following weekend am planning out going to SARL, my last time there I fished off the shore and only caught 1 but this guy near me on a float tube was catching one after another. I say we should all meet up and fish sometime. :-), the guy hasnt responded about the float tube so its time to hit up craigslist and see what i find.

Yeah float tubing for catfish is 10x better because you get to cover more ground and easier to find the honey hole! keep in mind that the catfish stack up on each other and dont move around like trout
once you get that float tube going we will set something up and go slay some kitties

wyu
07-08-2015, 04:25 PM

jhernandez if you go to that float tube forum they have a classified section. You can get a tube for a great value at times. I'm down to tube SARL when you guys are all set up. Send me a PM and we'll set up an outing.

jhernandez25
07-13-2015, 08:07 AM
How was everyone's weekend??? anyone managed to get out and fish?? Am still working on getting my float tube but in the mean time I did just pick up a Sea Eagle 9 off craigslist the deal was too good and couldnt let it go :-) What did shock me was that being a small inflatable boat that could be either paddled or used with a trolling motor it has to be registered at the DMV :-/. I also did managed to get out and fish but not SARL I decided to go to Irvine and managed to get the limit :-) first time ever reaching the limit so the feeling was awesome. Hope every one had a good weekend.

Mr T-rex
07-13-2015, 12:56 PM
How was everyone's weekend??? anyone managed to get out and fish?? Am still working on getting my float tube but in the mean time I did just pick up a Sea Eagle 9 off craigslist the deal was too good and couldnt let it go :-) What did shock me was that being a small inflatable boat that could be either paddled or used with a trolling motor it has to be registered at the DMV :-/. I also did managed to get out and fish but not SARL I decided to go to Irvine and managed to get the limit :-) first time ever reaching the limit so the feeling was awesome. Hope every one had a good weekend.

Nice job on the limit. i actually went on friday for the night session and caught my limit at SARL all on fly lined nightcrawlers fishing from shore. Crazy that they were biting so close from shore

jhernandez25
07-13-2015, 01:17 PM
Nice job on the limit. i actually went on friday for the night session and caught my limit at SARL all on fly lined nightcrawlers fishing from shore. Crazy that they were biting so close from shore

Nice!!!! Thats awesome, what part of the lake where you fishing?? am thinking of going out to SARL possibly Friday night :-) Eventhough I heard alot of negative things about using nightcrawlers for catfish, i think i have heard alot more success stories than negative stories.

Mr T-rex
07-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Nice!!!! Thats awesome, what part of the lake where you fishing?? am thinking of going out to SARL possibly Friday night :-) Eventhough I heard alot of negative things about using nightcrawlers for catfish, i think i have heard alot more success stories than negative stories.

I fished at chris pond towards the inlet! i might also be there friday night depending on my schedule
Fly lined nightcrawlers are always a success at any lake. On my float tube i have much success with the nightcrawlers being that its a natural bait

jhernandez25
07-14-2015, 03:21 PM
I fished at chris pond towards the inlet! i might also be there friday night depending on my schedule
Fly lined nightcrawlers are always a success at any lake. On my float tube i have much success with the nightcrawlers being that its a natural bait

If everything goes as planned I should be picking up a Cumberland Float tube this weekend :-) hopefully the deal goes through and the guy doesnt flake like the last guy. If I get it would would be willing to do a Float tube sessions, since it would be my first time out in a tube I think i would be more comfortable having a fellow tuber with me :-)

Mr T-rex
07-14-2015, 04:21 PM
If everything goes as planned I should be picking up a Cumberland Float tube this weekend :-) hopefully the deal goes through and the guy doesnt flake like the last guy. If I get it would would be willing to do a Float tube sessions, since it would be my first time out in a tube I think i would be more comfortable having a fellow tuber with me :-)

Count me in bro! lets set up a date and we will go slay some kitties

jhernandez25
07-15-2015, 08:46 AM

Sweet!!! If I end up getting it ill let you know and will go slay those kitties :-) have you ever float tube SARL with out Waders just shorts and fins???

Mr T-rex
07-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Sweet!!! If I end up getting it ill let you know and will go slay those kitties :-) have you ever float tube SARL with out Waders just shorts and fins???

No i actually haven't they dont allow it! you do need waders
you need waders, fins and a personal floating device (life jacket) not on but tied to the tube. You can find some decent waders on craiglist sometimes even new

wyu
07-15-2015, 10:53 AM
I'm in too if you guys are planning on a weekend. Preferably a Saturday

wyu
07-16-2015, 03:41 PM
Well looks like SARL's going to get busy after what Irvine lake announced today. It's going to probably be like playing bumper boats at SARL.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=857239290978962&id=161504543885777

jhernandez25
07-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Well looks like SARL's going to get busy after what Irvine lake announced today. It's going to probably be like playing bumper boats at SARL.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=857239290978962&id=161504543885777

WOW its crazy when I read it I was shocked especially since one of my buddies had just bought a boat to use at Irvine :-(, with SARL being smaller its going to get interesting, and its going to get more risky for tubers with all the boats that are going to be in the water :-(

Mr T-rex
07-16-2015, 05:18 PM
WOW its crazy when I read it I was shocked especially since one of my buddies had just bought a boat to use at Irvine :-(, with SARL being smaller its going to get interesting, and its going to get more risky for tubers with all the boats that are going to be in the water :-(

This is definitely bad news for us float tubers! Very dangerous with so many boats out there

wyu
07-16-2015, 05:21 PM
This is definitely bad news for us float tubers! Very dangerous with so many boats out there
Yep.... Hopefully it won't be as bad. If so, I guess I'll be tubing the harbors more often.

jhernandez25
07-20-2015, 08:17 AM

Yep.... Hopefully it won't be as bad. If so, I guess I'll be tubing the harbors more often.

SOOOOO I Pulled the trigger and got a float tube :-) , Cumberland with built rod holder, pumped it up on Saturday and its still holding air which was one of my concerns since i did get it used. And now that Irvine is not allowing anything but their own rentals its going to be a battle for space at SARL which i think is going to get alot more business. I also picked up a Sea Eagle 9 inflatable boat :-) so now we just need to set up a date so we can hit the lake

Mr T-rex
07-20-2015, 09:32 AM
SOOOOO I Pulled the trigger and got a float tube :-) , Cumberland with built rod holder, pumped it up on Saturday and its still holding air which was one of my concerns since i did get it used. And now that Irvine is not allowing anything but their own rentals its going to be a battle for space at SARL which i think is going to get alot more business. I also picked up a Sea Eagle 9 inflatable boat :-) so now we just need to set up a date so we can hit the lake

Nice set up you have there
I went out yesterday for the am session and had the lake to myself. Kitties didnt want to come out and play though

wyu
07-20-2015, 12:30 PM

Good choice on the Cumberland tube. I know your going to enjoy it. Let me know what day you guys decide on hopefully it'll be a weekend and one that I'm free. Weekdays are tough as I have work.

jhernandez25
07-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Nice set up you have there
I went out yesterday for the am session and had the lake to myself. Kitties didnt want to come out and play though

Good choice on the Cumberland tube. I know your going to enjoy it. Let me know what day you guys decide on hopefully it'll be a weekend and one that I'm free. Weekdays are tough as I have work.

SUPER EXCITED TO HIT THE WATER!!! now all I need is for my Fins to arrive and to get myself some waders and ill be good, we definitely need to set up a day and time to tube SARL what works better for you all morning or evening??? I think we are settled on a Saturday?????

wyu
07-21-2015, 04:08 PM
SUPER EXCITED TO HIT THE WATER!!! now all I need is for my Fins to arrive and to get myself some waders and ill be good, we definitely need to set up a day and time to tube SARL what works better for you all morning or evening??? I think we are settled on a Saturday?????

I'm good morning or evenings. Just hope I can make it out the Saturday you guys decide on. I'll let Mr T-Rex decided whether morning or evening is best since he has the most experience fishing at SARL.

Mr T-rex
07-21-2015, 05:08 PM
I'm good morning or evenings. Just hope I can make it out the Saturday you guys decide on. I'll let Mr T-Rex decided whether morning or evening is best since he has the most experience fishing at SARL.

For a first time tuber i would honestly do mornings because trust me tubing at night isnt the most beautiful thing haha
I can mostly do sunday mornings or friday evenings.
Lets set something up

wyu
07-21-2015, 10:44 PM
C
For a first time tuber i would honestly do mornings because trust me tubing at night isnt the most beautiful thing haha
Lets set something up

I agree with Mr. T-Rex for a first time tuber mornings might be best. Let me know which Sunday morning you guys decide on.

jhernandez25
07-23-2015, 07:53 AM
Lets set something up

C

I agree with Mr. T-Rex for a first time tuber mornings might be best. Let me know which Sunday morning you guys decide on.

Sounds Perfect, Sunday Mornings work with me as well, and yeah Not being a tuber I would definitely prefer Mornings if something is biting my leg i would like to see what it is lol. Ill go ahead and PM you my Number in case you guys want to start a group text.

Mr T-rex
07-23-2015, 04:03 PM
How about we do next Sunday August 2 ??

wyu
07-24-2015, 12:36 PM
How about we do next Sunday August 2 ??

Damn... Can't make next Sunday I have plans already. I can do the Sunday of 8/16 if you guys are cool with that.

Mr T-rex
07-27-2015, 10:39 AM
Damn... Can't make next Sunday I have plans already. I can do the Sunday of 8/16 if you guys are cool with that.

That sounds good to me! lets make it happen

jhernandez25
07-28-2015, 08:10 AM

That sounds good to me! lets make it happen

That Sounds good to me, gives me time to go get some waders :-) what do you guys use stocking food or boot foot waders and which are better??

wyu
07-28-2015, 02:50 PM
That Sounds good to me, gives me time to go get some waders :-) what do you guys use stocking food or boot foot waders and which are better??

I have the stocking foot waders.

So we doing Sunday 8/16 morning session? Let me know so I can lock it down with the wifey lol....

jhernandez25
08-03-2015, 07:24 AM
I pm'ed you two my number but am good with the 16th let me know

wyu
08-11-2015, 03:45 PM
are you guys still on for a morning tube session on Sunday?

jhernandez25
08-11-2015, 03:52 PM
are you guys still on for a morning tube session on Sunday?

As of right now yes am just waiting on my Chest waders to come in I don't know about T-Rex haven't heard from him :-(

Mr T-rex
08-12-2015, 10:11 AM
As of right now yes am just waiting on my Chest waders to come in I don't know about T-Rex haven't heard from him :-(

Still not too sure about sunday because of the work schedule but i will definitely keep you guys posted.

wyu
08-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Still not too sure about sunday because of the work schedule but i will definitely keep you guys posted.

Sorry guys.... Same situation here as well. I just found out that I have to work this Sunday. I'm trying to see if I can get out of it.

Mr T-rex
08-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Sorry guys.... Same situation here as well. I just found out that I have to work this Sunday. I'm trying to see if I can get out of it.

Use the ol Cough Cough trick hahah

jhernandez25
08-12-2015, 02:03 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol No Worries if you cant am still waiting on my waders to come in :-( and it will also give me time to figure out how to mount my fish finder :-) Where do you work?????

wyu
08-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Use the ol Cough Cough trick hahah

Lol.... I wish....

jhernandez25
08-18-2015, 02:54 PM
We still need to plan this trip I cant this weekend going out of town but any Saturday or Sunday afterwards is good for me????