PDA

View Full Version : june 16-23 excel 7 day trip (long read)

dpaulus9
06-24-2015, 08:22 PM
boarde the excel around 8am tuesday the 16. after everyone boarded(31 anglers), boat headed for bait receivers for some nice sardines( 1.5 hrs it took approx) after they left the bay, capt got everyone in the galley for a rough run down on what were going to do. so i'll go day by day and try and keep it short lol. arrived at benitoes island for a few hours weds. capt wanted a few yellowtail for a dinner. after getting about 10,(i caught 2) we were off again. headed for the ridge with an 11am thurs eta. got there and capt. ramirez found a spot and anchored up. he suggested flylining first to get the yelleowfin since there be no problems getting yellowtail. i think half the boat did flylining sardines and other dropperloop. i got a few schoolsize tune there, the yo-yoed a blue and white jig got approx. 9 tails. 15-20 lb average. didnt keep track of what others caught, but did notice some huge yellowtail being brought over. also a big white seabass( 58 lbs) got caught. i beleived we made 2 more moves on that side of ridge b4 he drove to the other side for the nite. that was a grat half day of fishing. i could've got limits of yellowtail, but wanted to save the last 5 for cedros since i've always caught them there. got up friday morning( my bday) and fished that area for a few hours before going back to the other spot. same results.. more huge fish caught but not for me lol. i tried for tuna mostly that day and caught some nicer grade (5 tuna that day for me). highlite for me was hooking( notice i didnt say catch ;) ) a marlin. hooked it at the stern where it came straight up then headed for the bow.was on a 30 lb outfit. got to the bow and it jumped about 3 times b4 leaving for the horizon. got me almost spooled before line broke before the leader( had a 4 foot floro) and got most of line back. was a first for me and said that was my bday catch. boat ended up hooking 6 that day. that evening capt came down and said we will spend the nite at the same spot the nite b4 and fished there for a couple of hours b4 heading offshore 15 miles. said 50-100 lb tune were spotted in that area. (few past boats couldnt find them) said hopefully we get lucky but get ready for some driving around looking. i didnt fish at night at all the whole trip( like my sleep better since i'm always up early) but afew did and did quite well on yellowtail. around noon he found them. first school was not that big but we did get a few in. i got one 15 lber out og that one. then off he went looking again. an hour later was the big school. fished that till dark. hsome huge fish boiling around the boat the whole time with one or more hooked the whole time. i ended up getting my pb yellowfin tuna at 55 lbs on 30 lb outfit. actually kicked my *** lol. but got it on the boat. got another big fish cut off and a few came unbuttoned. capt had the kite going and he was letting the people with less fish bring those fish in, so i just spent some time watching huge fish boil up on that. then watched another few guys fish the popper. fun watching that. another techniques i learned for next time.s after that bloodbath was over we were headed for cedros for sunday afternoon eta. getting excited since i could get my limit of yellowtail and maybe a wsb.well, unfortunately the yellowtail was a no show till that last stop beforee it got dark. was still throwing the blue and white yo-yo and got a few short calicoes and a baracuda when some huge fish grabbed the jig. didnt fight like a yellow and a crewmember said most likely a big wsb but it broke my 50 lb floro leader after a 15 minute battle so wil never know for sure. then he said time to get some ground up north. was going to stop and fish for rockfish for a few hours around martin island. so my fishing was done since i dont care for rockfishing. but still enjoyed watching others fish.ended the trip and got into san diego around 6:30 tuesday morning.i ended up catching 9 yellowfin tuna and 10 yellowtail. jackpot was a 75 lb tuna. i donated the yellowtail to charity and traded the tuna for canned tuna. since i live in my semi, no way to keep fish and none of my freinds drove down to get any. so thats was my trip. sorry for long post and posted with my phone, so cant seperate into paragraphs.

dpaulus9
06-24-2015, 08:34 PM
the food was just outstanding. he had cereal and fruit tray set up for the early birds then fist call was around 7 am for breakfast. eggs benedict, banan nut pancakes, french toast,biscuits and gravy were a few. lunch was an assortment of soups, chowders, sandwiches. breakfast and lunch he made 3 calls.com dinner we all ate at once. prime rib last dinner, another steak dinner, couple differant chicken dinners, and pizza was the first nites i beleveive. i'm alwas suprise the quality of food that comes out of this galley. this was my 6th trip on the excel and never disappoints. the crew was outstanding. i beleive they have 4 on deck and the cook comes out if needed.of course he brought out the sushi tray but this kid doesnt eat raw fish. tried b4 and never goes well lol. so i highly recommend this boat if anyone wants to do a long range trip.cant compare to other type boats since this is the only longe range (5 days or more) i been on. stateroomes are 2 anglers to a room. each rooms has a sink and a few drwers and closet. not sure total count of showers, but i think someone said 7, but again not sure. boat has 2 staterooms with its own shower.

dpaulus9
06-24-2015, 08:37 PM
btw.....if anyone has read any of my previous post, you'll know i hardly ever take pics and didnt on this one. if you want to see some of the fish caught, go to the excels facebook page. no pics ofany of my fish, but you'll see the grade we caught.

etucker1959
06-24-2015, 08:40 PM
boarde the excel around 8am tuesday the 16. after everyone boarded(31 anglers), boat headed for bait receivers for some nice sardines( 1.5 hrs it took approx) after they left the bay, capt got everyone in the galley for a rough run down on what were going to do. so i'll go day by day and try and keep it short lol. arrived at benitoes island for a few hours weds. capt wanted a few yellowtail for a dinner. after getting about 10,(i caught 2) we were off again. headed for the ridge with an 11am thurs eta. got there and capt. ramirez found a spot and anchored up. he suggested flylining first to get the yelleowfin since there be no problems getting yellowtail. i think half the boat did flylining sardines and other dropperloop. i got a few schoolsize tune there, the yo-yoed a blue and white jig got approx. 9 tails. 15-20 lb average. didnt keep track of what others caught, but did notice some huge yellowtail being brought over. also a big white seabass( 58 lbs) got caught. i beleived we made 2 more moves on that side of ridge b4 he drove to the other side for the nite. that was a grat half day of fishing. i could've got limits of yellowtail, but wanted to save the last 5 for cedros since i've always caught them there. got up friday morning( my bday) and fished that area for a few hours before going back to the other spot. same results.. more huge fish caught but not for me lol. i tried for tuna mostly that day and caught some nicer grade (5 tuna that day for me). highlite for me was hooking( notice i didnt say catch ;) ) a marlin. hooked it at the stern where it came straight up then headed for the bow.was on a 30 lb outfit. got to the bow and it jumped about 3 times b4 leaving for the horizon. got me almost spooled before line broke before the leader( had a 4 foot floro) and got most of line back. was a first for me and said that was my bday catch. boat ended up hooking 6 that day. that evening capt came down and said we will spend the nite at the same spot the nite b4 and fished there for a couple of hours b4 heading offshore 15 miles. said 50-100 lb tune were spotted in that area. (few past boats couldnt find them) said hopefully we get lucky but get ready for some driving around looking. i didnt fish at night at all the whole trip( like my sleep better since i'm always up early) but afew did and did quite well on yellowtail. around noon he found them. first school was not that big but we did get a few in. i got one 15 lber out og that one. then off he went looking again. an hour later was the big school. fished that till dark. hsome huge fish boiling around the boat the whole time with one or more hooked the whole time. i ended up getting my pb yellowtail at 55 lbs on 30 lb outfit. actually kicked my *** lol. but got it on the boat. got another big fish cut off and a few came unbuttoned. capt had the kite going and he was letting the people with less fish bring those fish in, so i just spent some time watching huge fish boil up on that. then watched another few guys fish the popper. fun watching that. another techniques i learned for next time.s after that bloodbath was over we were headed for cedros for sunday afternoon eta. getting excited since i could get my limit of yellowtail and maybe a wsb.well, unfortunately the yellowtail was a no show till that last stop beforee it got dark. was still throwing the blue and white yo-yo and got a few short calicoes and a baracuda when some huge fish grabbed the jig. didnt fight like a yellow and a crewmember said most likely a big wsb but it broke my 50 lb floro leader after a 15 minute battle so wil never know for sure. then he said time to get some ground up north. was going to stop and fish for rockfish for a few hours around martin island. so my fishing was done since i dont care for rockfishing. but still enjoyed watching others fish.ended the trip and got into san diego around 6:30 tuesday morning.i ended up catching 9 yellowfin tuna and 10 yellowtail. jackpot was a 75 lb tuna. i donated the yellowtail to charity and traded the tuna for canned tuna. since i live in my semi, no way to keep fish and none of my freinds drove down to get any. so thats was my trip. sorry for long post and posted with my phone, so cant seperate into paragraphs.
Nice trip!!!! Just to clarify, you got a 55 lbs Yellowtail not Yellowfin??????

dpaulus9
06-25-2015, 05:42 AM
Nice trip!!!! Just to clarify, you got a 55 lbs Yellowtail not Yellowfin??????

yellowfin tuna my freind ;) yellowtail's i caught were in the 15-25 lb range. though others caught bigger ones. seemed they(yellowtail) lked the sadines better